2003 Corolla...catalytic converter
Skubysnak

San Diego, CA

#41 Dec 14, 2009
Naveen Parmeshwar wrote:
I have a Toyota Corolla LE 2003 Model bought in 2002...the check Engine light came on and it is the Catalytic converter that has failed...not the O2 sensors..dealer quoted $1300..looked on ebay and they are selling converters for $80... has anyone tried this option and tried to replace the converter themselves
Those CATS sold on eBay are Eastern CATs. If you're in California, it won't do you any good. I held off for almost a year looking for a cheaper CAT. I waited till the last minute and ended up paying $1300 just like every other Californian...
liner

Rocky Point, NY

#42 Dec 15, 2009
Skubysnak wrote:
<quoted text>
Those CATS sold on eBay are Eastern CATs. If you're in California, it won't do you any good. I held off for almost a year looking for a cheaper CAT. I waited till the last minute and ended up paying $1300 just like every other Californian...
Not familiar with Cal regs, but why couldn't you replace your own cat? How would they know?
Fez

New York, NY

#43 Dec 20, 2009
My 2003 Corolla LE with 120,000 miles has the same prolem. The check engine light first came on at 118,000 miles and again at 120k. Took it to a mechanic when the light came on the first time and turns out the catalytic converter is bad. Total cost is $1500 to get it replaced. Is it safe to drive the car or will i get stuck on the side of a road soon?
liner

Hicksville, NY

#44 Dec 21, 2009
Fez wrote:
My 2003 Corolla LE with 120,000 miles has the same prolem. The check engine light first came on at 118,000 miles and again at 120k. Took it to a mechanic when the light came on the first time and turns out the catalytic converter is bad. Total cost is $1500 to get it replaced. Is it safe to drive the car or will i get stuck on the side of a road soon?
Apparently, if you don't live in California, you can replace your cat with an aftermarket cat probably much cheaper than that. Yes, it's safe to drive but it won't pass inspection with the light on.
Mick

Roseville, CA

#45 Dec 21, 2009
I have a 2003 Toyota Corolla and my check engine came on at about 73k. i kept driving it but i needed to get it smogged, ran the test and it was my cat. i just read this post with 80235 miles on it. sooo yeah. i got screwed too. sucks. i really hope 1500 isnt the cost, more like 850 i heard. i could be wrong.
California CAT

United States

#46 Dec 22, 2009
liner wrote:
<quoted text>
Not familiar with Cal regs, but why couldn't you replace your own cat? How would they know?
You can replace you're own CAT if you want. Takes only 15 min, but it has to be a California certified CAT. Put anything else on and the machine will fail the vehicle...
liner

Rocky Point, NY

#47 Dec 22, 2009
California CAT wrote:
<quoted text>
You can replace you're own CAT if you want. Takes only 15 min, but it has to be a California certified CAT. Put anything else on and the machine will fail the vehicle...
those bastids.....
Fez

Queens Village, NY

#48 Dec 28, 2009
Thanks for the help guys!
Usman Khan

Lithonia, GA

#49 Jan 4, 2010
I have a Toyota Corolla 03 and have over 180000 miles on it. Check Engine light came on and the problem is "Catalyst Efficiency Below Normal (Bank 1)"... does anyone has a solution as I have to get the damn emission test passed to transfer the plates to Georgia :(
Skubysnak

United States

#50 Jan 5, 2010
Usman Khan wrote:
I have a Toyota Corolla 03 and have over 180000 miles on it. Check Engine light came on and the problem is "Catalyst Efficiency Below Normal (Bank 1)"... does anyone has a solution as I have to get the damn emission test passed to transfer the plates to Georgia :(
Per the tons of post prior to yours, buy a new CAT. You may be in luck and only have to get an eastern CAT, which costs way less than a CAlifornia CAT.
Gerry

San Antonio, TX

#51 Jan 5, 2010
I came across this site looking to see if the estimate that I got to fix the CAT on my '03 Corolla ($1400+) was correct, and WOW! I thought Toyota vehicles were eternal as well.
a concerned citizen

Park Ridge, IL

#52 Jan 6, 2010
I'm not a mechanic but this is what I'm getting:

I spoke to my local mechanic and he says that he cannot order a catalytic converter for this car, specifically, a 2003 Toyata Corolla. He says you absulutely must go to a dealership to have one installed or you will not pass smog.

You can replace the catalytic converter with an aftermarket part and it will work, but it will not pass smog because the ECM will register the part in a pending status. Sure you can clear the light with an OBD automotive scanner, but the status will still be listed as pending.

According to multiple accounts, detaching the battery and laying on the horn till she runs out of juice, will in fact reset the ECM. If your car smogs ok it will not read the pending status off the ECM and you can re-register your car.

Somethinig seems a little shady with this whole 2003 converter deal. Toyato has made a vehicle that will not pass smog unless you get a catalytic converter FROM THE DEALERSHIP AND NOWHERE ELSE or you will not pass smog.

However, all of us here are actually passing state regulations (I just got mine smogged 5 months ago) with the actual emissions.

There should be absolutly no reason why we should not be able to clear the code with an aftermarket converter and be able to pass smog as long as emissions are within state regulations. This should be illegal on Toyota's behalf. I implore anyone who is in a position to do so to bring this to the attention of the state governance.

I myself will be draining the ECM and selling this vehicle after a couple more payments.
May Show a Pending Code

San Diego, CA

#53 Jan 6, 2010
Numerous people have said that by disconnecting the battery and putting it back on will clear the code. You can even buy your own OBDII diagnostic testing to clear the code. Yes, both methods will work, BUT... When hooked up to an official Smog Test machine, a pending code will usually appear. It won't show the dreaded PXXXX code that calls for a new $1200 CAT, but most mechanics will know what you did (I've got two friends who are Toyota mechanics). I do know some people who got away with it, but most don't get the lucky break...at least I didn't...
Troyola

Hyattsville, MD

#54 Jan 30, 2010
There is a Toyota Service Bulletin out for this problem (P0420 , bad cat converter). Unfortunately, I am not able to locate the full text. I'm sure Toyota is well aware of this problem and it would be great to see what they have to say in the document....
my converter died as well (112k miles). An non-Toyota replacement also died (180k miles).
Here is all I can find about the bulletin. Any additional info would be greatly appreciated!
# TSB #01102 -- MALFUNCTION INIDICATOR LIGHT ON CONDITION WITH DIAGNOSTIC TROUBLE CODE P0136 AND P0420 STORED IN THE ENGINE CONTROL MODULE (ECM).*TT (NHTSA ID #633889, JUNE 07 2002)
DonSandrok

Manahawkin, NJ

#55 Jan 31, 2010
Hey guys...I am in the same boat as you all..got a quote of about 1300. I checked online and found some CATS less then 1300..not the universal one but feom companies like Eastern, Bosol..in range of 300 to 600. Looks like specialized for 2003 corolla. Any suggestions on if I personally buy one of this and take it to local mechanic and can save some money.....???
Skubysnak

San Diego, CA

#56 Feb 2, 2010
DonSandrok wrote:
Hey guys...I am in the same boat as you all..got a quote of about 1300. I checked online and found some CATS less then 1300..not the universal one but feom companies like Eastern, Bosol..in range of 300 to 600. Looks like specialized for 2003 corolla. Any suggestions on if I personally buy one of this and take it to local mechanic and can save some money.....???
You should be ok with an Eastern CAT, but double check to be sure. California has a law that forces one to only buy the dealer CAT at triple the price....
janna

United States

#58 Feb 9, 2010
2003 Corolla with same problems. My engine seized up at 99000 miles, found a used engine and repair cost about 1900.00 and now I have to replace the converter. It's just not worth it to sink another 1000 into it
the canuck

Saint Catharines, Canada

#59 Feb 9, 2010
JLB wrote:
I have a 03 corolla also. My check engine light went on like 6 months ago and I had someone run a diagnostic on it just to make sure it was okay to drive. They said it was the cat converter but that the sensors were probably just dirty so I shouldn't worry. I had to get smog done on it this week to get my tags and they said I failed automatically cuz my MIL light was on still. So I took it to the toyota dealership to see if they could clean the sensors so my light would go off....turns out that my cat converter is not performing at the level the car wants it to and they want 1500 for it...but my catalytic converter PASSED the smog test, I can see it on the sheet I got from the mechanic, just that stupid check engine light! So my cat converter is not bad enough to not pass but not good enough to let me get my tags....oh my goodness I hate my 03 corolla right now!!!!! I never have before this!
Good! Buy American!
Tizz in TN

United States

#60 Feb 24, 2010
I have a 2003 Toyota that I bought almost 5 yrs ago and never had any problems with the car and its my very 1st Toyota. My car now has 114,000 miles on it and at a litte over 100k my check engine light came on. I was told that its from the Cat Convertor as well but Toy issued a recall for this so shouldn't they have to pay for the fixing of this no matter what the mileage is on the car sine it is a recall matter? I was told 80,000 miles which is rediculous. Fortunately for me I live in a state and county that I don't have to have my Emission's checked but I still need need to get this fixed but not at $1,000. My mechanic said I can drive it along time without replacing it but I wonder. This sucks and I deal with this kind of stuff everyday because of my job.
Jersey Girl

South Amboy, NJ

#61 Mar 7, 2010
Has anyone had a problem passing nj inspection with an after market cat? Does the engine light stay off? I have a 03 Corolla LE

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Toyota Corolla Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Toyota Corolla ABS Speed Sensor (Mar '11) Aug 23 Ravi 29
1990 corolla warning indicator Aug 10 asero 1
Electric power steer pulse count? Aug 4 SuperButcher66 1
News Which Car Drives Most Miles Per Tank? (May '08) Aug 4 Lewis 38
Parking brake light coming on when parking brak... (Nov '10) Jul '15 Cornflake 9
Vapor Canister (Sep '06) Jul '15 Ben 299
toyota corolla suspension problem (Aug '14) Jun '15 Gerald Vonberger 3
More from around the web