Downsizing: Right-sizing the sedan fu...

Downsizing: Right-sizing the sedan fuel bill is no easy challenge

There are 2 comments on the Consumer Reports story from Apr 25, 2011, titled Downsizing: Right-sizing the sedan fuel bill is no easy challenge. In it, Consumer Reports reports that:

When it comes to downsizing, it's not just SUV owners feeling the pain of high gas prices at the pump today.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Consumer Reports.

Frank

Raleigh, NC

#1 Apr 26, 2011
The explanation still does not justify comparing a performance car with a HEMI engine in it to car whos sole purpose is to get from point A to B as cheap as possible. They are two different cars with totally different purposes.

The Chrysler is a lot bigger than what it was compared to. It weighs a lot more. It will provide benefits that the other cars will not. It will ride better, have performance the others will not, and definitly has unique styling. The original purchaser of this car was not looking for an unemotional transportation appliance. Hopefully when someone buys a car, they know what they are buying, and spend a little time figuring out whether they earn enough money to afford it.

Not eveybody is concerned with maximum gas milage. I own a 2010 Dodge Challenger SRT8 Hemi and a Jeep Commander with a 4.7 V-8 for daily driving. Neither get Corolla like mileage, but I wouldn't be caught dead in something like that.

I earn a good living, and can afford gas.

Let's stop slaming nich market cars and compare apples to apples. Get your credibility back.
liner

Bronx, NY

#2 Apr 26, 2011
Frank wrote:
The explanation still does not justify comparing a performance car with a HEMI engine in it to car whos sole purpose is to get from point A to B as cheap as possible. They are two different cars with totally different purposes.
The Chrysler is a lot bigger than what it was compared to. It weighs a lot more. It will provide benefits that the other cars will not. It will ride better, have performance the others will not, and definitly has unique styling. The original purchaser of this car was not looking for an unemotional transportation appliance. Hopefully when someone buys a car, they know what they are buying, and spend a little time figuring out whether they earn enough money to afford it.
Not eveybody is concerned with maximum gas milage. I own a 2010 Dodge Challenger SRT8 Hemi and a Jeep Commander with a 4.7 V-8 for daily driving. Neither get Corolla like mileage, but I wouldn't be caught dead in something like that.
I earn a good living, and can afford gas.
Let's stop slaming nich market cars and compare apples to apples. Get your credibility back.
I think their point was, if you're thinking of buying a new car just because gas is getting more expensive, better think twice, as the costs involved don't necessarily make that a viable option. If you just want or need a new car and want to save money on gas....here's what you could look at.
If you like what you're driving and can afford it, by all means go for it.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Toyota Corolla Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
2009 Corolla Stock Radio Display goes Blank. (Jul '08) 6 hr liner 105
Toyota Corolla ABS Speed Sensor (Mar '11) Jul '16 Lee 31
2003 Corolla...catalytic converter (Dec '08) Jul '16 Cathy 211
Vapor Canister (Sep '06) Jun '16 322Sgd 301
Parking brake light coming on when parking brak... (Nov '10) Jun '16 lownsporty 11
why radio won't turn on May '16 liner 3
Toyota curola 2009 radio don't turn on Mar '16 luscious 1
More from around the web