Which Car Drives Most Miles Per Tank?

Which Car Drives Most Miles Per Tank?

There are 38 comments on the WNBC New York story from May 20, 2008, titled Which Car Drives Most Miles Per Tank?. In it, WNBC New York reports that:

POSTED: 9:47 am EDT May 20, 2008 Not only is the Toyota Hybrid the top-selling hybrid vehicle, having recently topped 1 million units sold, but it is also the most fuel-efficient vehicle on the road.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WNBC New York.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
dmsing

Fairfield, CT

#1 May 20, 2008
The title to the article is not correct. "Which Car Drives Most Miles Per Tank?" implies that you were going to tell us that you could go 594 in a Civic Hybrid on one tank of gas (13.2 gal X 45mpg).
Tom

North Chicago, IL

#2 May 20, 2008
I've seen hundreds of errors just like this on many news websites. Do they not have editors look at the web content, or are the editors just that bad???
Missy6000

Glastonbury, CT

#3 May 20, 2008
how can a car actually get more miles per gallon in the city than on the highway. (Toyota Prius)
johnny rebel

Philadelphia, PA

#4 May 20, 2008
Missy6000 wrote:
how can a car actually get more miles per gallon in the city than on the highway.(Toyota Prius)
In the city, the car runs off the battery when it is starting from a stop or traveling at slow speeds, so it isn't burning gas at that time. Highway speeds are generally higher, so only gas is burned and battery power isn't used.
Gas Saver

Kirksville, MO

#5 May 20, 2008
johnny rebel wrote:
<quoted text>
In the city, the car runs off the battery when it is starting from a stop or traveling at slow speeds, so it isn't burning gas at that time. Highway speeds are generally higher, so only gas is burned and battery power isn't used.
The Toyota hybrids use a combination drive (called Synergy Drive) that reduces fuel use on the highway, as well. When coasting (throttle closed), it recharges the batteries and when the motor is needed, it combines the energy from the gas engine and the electric drive system. Even at pretty high speeds, mine gets great (41 MPG) mileage for something as large as a Camry.
working

Yorba Linda, CA

#6 May 20, 2008
My silverado gets 20hwy! Not bad for a four door fullsize truck. Not good when my drive to work is 60 miles one way. I spend $130 a week on gas. We should start taking the gas from Iraq and use it all in America.
Steve

Millsboro, DE

#7 May 20, 2008
You asked "Which Car Drives Most Miles Per Tank?" NOT the best miles per gallon. My full sized van with a 34 gallon tank at 15 MPG highway get me 510 miles "Per Tank"... Now, I can also haul eight people and all the luggage. So, maybe miles/gallon/(200 pound person) may be a better way to look at the numbers, as I can also haul 2500 pounds.
what

Manchester, CT

#8 May 20, 2008
Gee how about, SUVs, CUVs, and Minnivans? Many of us need the space, and use them. And the article should be MPG, since that's what they talk about.
Built Ford Tough

Philadelphia, PA

#9 May 20, 2008
Put four full sized adult in your prius and see how many miles you get in that clown car. If you can even get up to 50mph LOL..
working

Yorba Linda, CA

#10 May 20, 2008
Built Ford Tough wrote:
Put four full sized adult in your prius and see how many miles you get in that clown car. If you can even get up to 50mph LOL..
isn't "FORD TOUGH" an oxymoron?
W Fetrow

Beltsville, MD

#11 May 20, 2008
The headline is, "Which Car Drives Most Miles Per Tank?" That would be an interesting statistic. All the article has in it are miles per gallon.

Miles per tank is actually useful. The larger the tank, the less frequent the fill ups.

That would be especially good on road trips.
W Fetrow

Beltsville, MD

#12 May 20, 2008
The Prius even shuts off the engine at highway speeds. I just drove from DC to Dayton, OH and back. On two long grades in West Virginia, I went 16 an 14 miles at 80 MPH with no engine. In fact, it was actually using the slope to charge the battery.

Of course, on the way up, not only did it use the engine, but the battery was used too, and discharged to 1/3 of its capacity. Of course, that saved gas too.

At 75 to 90 MPH, I got 41 miles per gallon, nine less than normal at home.
rocshirt

United States

#13 May 25, 2008
is 40 miles per gallon good really the best gets 41 how about the pinto what did that get or the datsun b210
the 70's compact car what were theyre mpg ill bet its close to todays hybid cars remember the gas crunch of the 70's im interested if any one knows the MPG of these cars
Mike Crill

Basin, MT

#14 May 25, 2008
Hey,Whats this I hear Sweden has a car that runs on Air.I want one,or two or three,maybe a dozen.I think this Govt should buy all of us one.Make it a law to drive air cars.Just think how fast we will put these bastard oil Co's out of business.I can't wait.Thats why we are getting bent over now.They know its comin.Hey did you see the Rocker man flying over the Alps??? Yah,he is going to fly over the English channel.This dude flies,no shit.I can't wait.5 Years and we will being having tea on the moon.Yah buddy.Can't wait...
behemouth pryde

AOL

#15 May 26, 2008
Gas Saver wrote:
<quoted text>
The Toyota hybrids use a combination drive (called Synergy Drive) that reduces fuel use on the highway, as well. When coasting (throttle closed), it recharges the batteries and when the motor is needed, it combines the energy from the gas engine and the electric drive system. Even at pretty high speeds, mine gets great (41 MPG) mileage for something as large as a Camry.
wow are s stupid moron high speed in a hybrid or even in a toyota? lol lol at you LMAO at u, you are a homo w/ a small weeniee hybrids are un safe vehicle and not safe for my famile, i prefer my big chevy american pryde suburban i can have my 9 kids and wife in there and it simple you small weevee lol at you i love behemouths.....
Sam

United States

#16 May 26, 2008
We should take a look at some other cars other than Toyota.
I have a Hyundai Elantra that gets 27 to 30 mpg in the city and around 40 on the highway . This car only cost 13,000 new . I get around 480 - 510 per tank of gas (Highway driving)
bsd

Mount Vernon, WA

#17 May 26, 2008
You missed the boat with your gas saver car list. I can't say much about the Prius, can't compete with that, butthe rest, I can blow out of the water with my car, I drive a Malibu Maxx, and I beat all of the cars on your list with the exception of the Prius. You need yo go back and research again. I'm sure about my gas mileage, not just according to my computer register in the car, but with calculations of gallons at the putp with the actual miles driven. I musta got lucky.
Tom

North Chicago, IL

#18 May 27, 2008
behemouth pryde wrote:
<quoted text>
wow are s stupid moron high speed in a hybrid or even in a toyota? lol lol at you LMAO at u, you are a homo w/ a small weeniee hybrids are un safe vehicle and not safe for my famile, i prefer my big chevy american pryde suburban i can have my 9 kids and wife in there and it simple you small weevee lol at you i love behemouths.....
Are you retarded? I'm sorry, I guess the PC word is autistic. Because it really sounds like it. I can't understand a single thing you wrote.
what

Manchester, CT

#19 May 28, 2008
W Fetrow wrote:
The headline is, "Which Car Drives Most Miles Per Tank?" That would be an interesting statistic. All the article has in it are miles per gallon.
Miles per tank is actually useful. The larger the tank, the less frequent the fill ups.
That would be especially good on road trips.
Except when you do fill up it's really going to hurt.
20 gal tank...that's 82.00+ right now.
If suddenly the tanks were smaller, people would think it wasn't so bad.
Cool person

Torrington, CT

#20 May 28, 2008
I wish they would post what the 70's cars like a chevelle or a camaro get to the gallon.(on average)

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Toyota Corolla Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
2003 Corolla...catalytic converter (Dec '08) Jul 17 Cathy 211
2009 Corolla Stock Radio Display goes Blank. (Jul '08) Jun 28 rkaya 103
Vapor Canister (Sep '06) Jun '16 322Sgd 301
Parking brake light coming on when parking brak... (Nov '10) Jun '16 lownsporty 11
Toyota Corolla ABS Speed Sensor (Mar '11) May '16 Lakh 30
why radio won't turn on May '16 liner 3
Toyota curola 2009 radio don't turn on Mar '16 luscious 1
More from around the web