Hybrid drivers lose special privilege...

Hybrid drivers lose special privileges in California

There are 2 comments on the Reno Gazette-Journal story from Jun 29, 2011, titled Hybrid drivers lose special privileges in California. In it, Reno Gazette-Journal reports that:

For six years, California gave owners of hybrid cars the keys to the fast lane: permission to drive alone among carpoolers.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Reno Gazette-Journal.

Wipperwill

Apo, AE

#1 Jun 29, 2011
Makes sense

Why make the gas guzzler continue to run while sitting in traffic using more fuel and creating more emissions when a hybrid could be sitting there instead running making very little emissions.

It's supposed to be about what's good for the environment, not about what's good for the person who's driving the car.

If you want to make better incentives to buy the car, lower the damn price of them and make them the same price as the other type...

Bottom Line
Boardwatch

UK

#2 Jun 30, 2011
Goes to show you it wasn't about running cars with less emissions, it was about how you can make those who jump on the green bandwagon feel more important and privileged.

Your right in your evaluation.

Question:
How many cars sitting in traffic with their engines running does a hybrid replace?

Answer - None. Hybrids don't sit in traffic They just clog up the carpool lane slowing down those who do carpool.

About time California started thinking logically.

My wife and I almost bought a Hybrid Camery until I found out the cost was $8,000 more. I did the Math on that and discovered that she would have to drive 70,000 miles before we broke even on fuel costs.
There again if you want Americans to start buying electric and hybrid fuel cars than you have to get the prices down to match a gasoline car. Other wise that extra $8,000 buys years worth of Gasoline instead.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Toyota Corolla Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
corolla fuel filler neck (Nov '08) Jun '17 Earl 47
Sunrise Corolla Feb '17 All 1
vsc light, trac light, and engine light on 2010... (Apr '12) Feb '17 liner 5
Vapor Canister (Sep '06) Feb '17 Grandma 304
car will not accelerate (Nov '10) Jan '17 liner 7
2009 Corolla Stock Radio Display goes Blank. (Jul '08) Dec '16 suehb 106
2005 Corolla won't start (Nov '16) Nov '16 latinracer 1
More from around the web