1997 toyota corolla vibration

1997 toyota corolla vibration

Posted in the Toyota Corolla Forum

joe

Twinsburg, OH

#1 Dec 11, 2009
i just bought this 1997 toyota corolla dx with a automamic trans with overdrive and a 1.8 engine.while driving a speeds around 45 and up there is a vibration when the car goes up and down over the road.i have owned several of the 93-97 corollas and never had this problem.iv replaced the struts all around put new tires on also.when athe car is stoped in park i rev the engine and no vibration.i dont feel any thing in the steering wheel.any help out there would be great.thanks. joe.
Doug

Boise, ID

#2 Jan 18, 2010
I am having the same problem. Took it in to Meineke thinking it was an exhaust problem of some kind. Turns out the transmission mounts need to be replaced. The transmission is resting on the frame, causing vibrations, etc. Going to tackle it tonight.
liner

Bronx, NY

#3 Jan 18, 2010
Doug wrote:
I am having the same problem. Took it in to Meineke thinking it was an exhaust problem of some kind. Turns out the transmission mounts need to be replaced. The transmission is resting on the frame, causing vibrations, etc. Going to tackle it tonight.
Doug, let us know how you make out.
trishelle

Toronto, Canada

#4 Aug 3, 2011
I have loud vibrations under my car i have had it less than 10 days...i feel it banging against my foot while driving...my friend says it might be the heat shield...I just want to get my safety and emissions will it pass those with that problem? its a 1997 toyota corolla...the guy i bought it off says be sure to replace the timing belt asap..cause he doesnt know how old it is.
If it is the heat shield will i have to replace the converter thingy too?
It the 1st car that i actually feel safe that i have owned and now that banging noise is freakin me out...help!
liner

Bronx, NY

#5 Aug 3, 2011
trishelle wrote:
I have loud vibrations under my car i have had it less than 10 days...i feel it banging against my foot while driving...my friend says it might be the heat shield...I just want to get my safety and emissions will it pass those with that problem? its a 1997 toyota corolla...the guy i bought it off says be sure to replace the timing belt asap..cause he doesnt know how old it is.
If it is the heat shield will i have to replace the converter thingy too?
It the 1st car that i actually feel safe that i have owned and now that banging noise is freakin me out...help!
Trish, if it's that noticeable, it shouldn't be too hard for a mechanic to spot the problem. As far as the inspection, as long as the engine light is off and all the safety items check out, you shouldn't have a problem passing it.
trishelle

Pickering, Canada

#6 Aug 5, 2011
im back with good news...it was just the 2 bolts at the top of the pipe near the motor that was a bit loose...working on getting it emission-ed and a safety thats next weeks goal
Bob

Madison, WI

#7 Oct 1, 2012
I have a 97 corolla 5 speed with 169,000 miles. Getting a strong vibration from the motor between 1500 and 2500 rpm. Regardless if I am moving or not. I even feel the vibration in the excelerator pedel and the dash rattles terribly, I feel the vibration in seat and the window even vibrate. The car is running very good as far as power gos. I replaced the plugs, wires, cap and roter, and air filter. Ran a tank of gas with sea foam and added it also to the oil. The motor is no missing and runs smooth at idle and above 2500. I feel really stumped. Motor mounts apon inspection seem ok. Please help! Thanks!!
liner

Brooklyn, NY

#8 Oct 3, 2012
Bob wrote:
I have a 97 corolla 5 speed with 169,000 miles. Getting a strong vibration from the motor between 1500 and 2500 rpm. Regardless if I am moving or not. I even feel the vibration in the excelerator pedel and the dash rattles terribly, I feel the vibration in seat and the window even vibrate. The car is running very good as far as power gos. I replaced the plugs, wires, cap and roter, and air filter. Ran a tank of gas with sea foam and added it also to the oil. The motor is no missing and runs smooth at idle and above 2500. I feel really stumped. Motor mounts apon inspection seem ok. Please help! Thanks!!
Seems like you covered the basics, but I'd take a closer look at the engine mounts.
steve

Rowville, Australia

#9 Oct 3, 2013
Buy a Ford. Corollas are a pain in the butt. My daughters corolla has more problems than my XF 85 model ever had. Her car is much newer than the good old XF falcon Headlining came off it like a parachute while driving very dangerous just to mention one of many problems with corolla. My XF headling is like the day i bought it. Perfect. Corolla has had
Starter gone Headling fall apart leaking radiator noise from rear end CV failure No light to rear licence plate ++++++++ and more faults Oh what a feeling oyota Crap
Pete

North Vancouver, Canada

#10 Mar 24, 2014
Toyota Corolla Drivers side front. water leak (not coming from rad)
Water is clean and not colored. Any ideas where it is leaking from.
liner

Brooklyn, NY

#11 Apr 4, 2014
Pete wrote:
Toyota Corolla Drivers side front. water leak (not coming from rad)
Water is clean and not colored. Any ideas where it is leaking from.
I was about to say the air conditioner drain, but then I noticed where you're from and that you posted it in March, so it's probably not that! Perhaps there is a clogged drain somewhere allowing rain water to collect and eventually spill out?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Toyota Corolla Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
#on radio is A51814 what dose this mean Nov 12 Misti singer 1
05 Corolla won't turn over Sep '17 Nick 1
2010 Toyota Corolla Problem (Jun '10) Aug '17 liner 29
2010 matrix check engine light Aug '17 Anonymous 1
corolla fuel filler neck (Nov '08) Jun '17 Earl 47
Sunrise Corolla (Feb '17) Feb '17 All 1
vsc light, trac light, and engine light on 2010... (Apr '12) Feb '17 liner 5
More from around the web