problems with gas fill ups
Chris

Deer Creek, MN

#21 Oct 24, 2008
Just purchased 2007 camry le. I bought this car because of it's reputation. I had it home for 2 days and my wife tells me it's doing this start stop crap with her. JESUS is there anything made that doesn't have some defect built in.
mike

London, Canada

#22 Oct 25, 2008
after paying $700 so for nissan now want 1400 to replace the whole tank... I'm going to go look for those hoses...

2002 pathfinder chilkoot
Bob K

Fredericksburg, VA

#23 Nov 17, 2008
Have a 2002 Avalon that for last four gas fill ups would only take a sip of gas before the gas pump would shut off. The same symptoms as several people above. Just found out today there is a valve in the charcoal vapor canister that was broken. This caused high pressure in the fuel tank and that caused the fuel pump to shut off. An expensive fix at $500. The canister had to be replaced, not fixed.
Lisa

United States

#24 Apr 26, 2009
Just had the same thing happen to be yesterday. Did you get you issue resolved. Fuel Filler hose maybe???? My gas gauge isn't working either??
Cynthia wrote:
Suddenly, the gas tank on my 2004 Camry became difficult to fill. The pump nozzle cuts off repeatedly during every fill up. I have to depress the handle 25 -30 times just to fill the tank. I've tried different stations, holding the handle at different angles, filling very slowly...nothing has any effect. Fuel flows in for 3-4- seconds, then the handle clicks off. I can hear the whooshing sound as th gas backs up in the tube. The dealer has replaced the vent line and monkeyed around with it a couple of times, but nothing helps. Now he wants to replace the charcoal filter sensor. Does this make sense? He seems to be taking a shotgun approach. Has anyone else had this problem?
Lisa

United States

#25 Apr 26, 2009
Had the same thing happen to me just yesterday and don't have it solved yet. Fuel filler hose? My gas guage isn't working either.

Did you get to the bottom of yours? Did you use a dealer?
alam

Kew Gardens, NY

#26 Mar 19, 2010
Suddenly, the gas tank on my 1999 Corolla LE became difficult to fill. The pump nozzle cuts off repeatedly during every fill up. I have to depress the handle 25 -30 times just to fill the tank. I've tried different stations, holding the handle at different angles, filling very slowly...nothing has any effect. Fuel flows in for 3-4- seconds, then the handle clicks off. Has anyone had this problem and got solution ?
Thanks
liner

Bronx, NY

#27 Mar 19, 2010
alam wrote:
Suddenly, the gas tank on my 1999 Corolla LE became difficult to fill. The pump nozzle cuts off repeatedly during every fill up. I have to depress the handle 25 -30 times just to fill the tank. I've tried different stations, holding the handle at different angles, filling very slowly...nothing has any effect. Fuel flows in for 3-4- seconds, then the handle clicks off. Has anyone had this problem and got solution ?
Thanks
Sounds like you might have a blockage in the fill pipe.
alam

Kew Gardens, NY

#28 Mar 21, 2010
liner wrote:
<quoted text>
Sounds like you might have a blockage in the fill pipe.
I Checked the fill line . No blockage
Thanks
liner

Bronx, NY

#29 Mar 21, 2010
alam wrote:
<quoted text>
I Checked the fill line . No blockage
Thanks
OK, how about a vent in the system that's blocked? I would assume the gas pump itself has some sort of vent built into it, but I don't know. Would your car's charcoal canister system have a vent that's blocked?
alam

Kew Gardens, NY

#30 Mar 22, 2010
liner wrote:
<quoted text>
OK, how about a vent in the system that's blocked? I would assume the gas pump itself has some sort of vent built into it, but I don't know. Would your car's charcoal canister system have a vent that's blocked?
I will check charcoal canister system. Do you know where is located in my Corolla 1999 LE car?
I tried different pump stations but this problen is happining in every pump station.
Thanks to every body who is helping me.
Alam
liner

Bronx, NY

#31 Mar 22, 2010
alam wrote:
<quoted text>
I will check charcoal canister system. Do you know where is located in my Corolla 1999 LE car?
I tried different pump stations but this problen is happining in every pump station.
Thanks to every body who is helping me.
Alam
Sorry, don't know the details of your Corolla's canister system. I think you need to bring it to a shop (preferably not the dealer) and get it analyzed properly.
alam

Kew Gardens, NY

#32 Mar 23, 2010
liner wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry, don't know the details of your Corolla's canister system. I think you need to bring it to a shop (preferably not the dealer) and get it analyzed properly.
Thanks.
alam

Kew Gardens, NY

#33 May 21, 2010
I solved the problem. I disconnected the flex pipe between gas delivery pipe and gas tank. I found a piece of paper stuck there. Removed the paper and put it back flex pipe. PROBLEM SOLVED.
But I was so upset because somebody intentionally inserts that paper to the pipe. No way has that paper gone by itself. AND THE BAD PART IS THAT I ONLY USED TO GO DEALER FOR SERVICE.
Thanks to everybody
alam wrote:
Suddenly, the gas tank on my 1999 Corolla LE became difficult to fill. The pump nozzle cuts off repeatedly during every fill up. I have to depress the handle 25 -30 times just to fill the tank. I've tried different stations, holding the handle at different angles, filling very slowly...nothing has any effect. Fuel flows in for 3-4- seconds, then the handle clicks off. Has anyone had this problem and got solution ?
Thanks
liner

Bronx, NY

#34 May 24, 2010
alam wrote:
I solved the problem. I disconnected the flex pipe between gas delivery pipe and gas tank. I found a piece of paper stuck there. Removed the paper and put it back flex pipe. PROBLEM SOLVED.
But I was so upset because somebody intentionally inserts that paper to the pipe. No way has that paper gone by itself. AND THE BAD PART IS THAT I ONLY USED TO GO DEALER FOR SERVICE.
Thanks to everybody
<quoted text>
Glad you found it, but the dealer doesn't put gas in your car, does he?
alam

Kew Gardens, NY

#35 Jun 2, 2010
liner wrote:
<quoted text>
Glad you found it, but the dealer doesn't put gas in your car, does he?
Yes I agree with you
sconcern

Hattiesburg, MS

#36 Sep 3, 2010
I am having the same problems with my 2002 Camry. It sounds like there's a common factor with all of us. We all have a 2002 toyota.
suri27

Orangeburg, SC

#37 Nov 22, 2010
put my 98 avalon in garage today they said about $1000.00 so i left it-they didn't have the "parts" called my son & he found this site & sent it to me i'm so grateful he did in am i'm calling to have garage pick me up & bringing my car home thanks to everyone who researched this problem
03Camry

AOL

#38 Mar 5, 2011
For those of you who solved the tank-filling issue by cleaning out the hoses at the canisters, how did you get to them? From the access in the trunk, or from beneath the car? Sounds like an easy fix for my tank-filling issue, if I just knew how best to get to the hoses.
2004 gas fill issue

United States

#39 Apr 28, 2011
03Camry wrote:
For those of you who solved the tank-filling issue by cleaning out the hoses at the canisters, how did you get to them? From the access in the trunk, or from beneath the car? Sounds like an easy fix for my tank-filling issue, if I just knew how best to get to the hoses.
I also want to fix this for my pregnant wife so she doesn't have sit at the gas station and fill up for 20 minutes. I just need to know exactly where to get at these hoses and find this blockage. 2004 Camry.
03Camry

AOL

#40 Jul 12, 2011
Never did get around to pulling the hoses, but whatever was blocking the line apparently isn't blocking it anymore. Two tanks ago, I was suddenly able to get normal flow, which quite surprised me! I can now put the nozzle in, squeeze the fill lever not quite all the way, lock it in place, and I get a full tank at normal flow rate, just like I used to. Go figure.

To the '04 owner who posted after me, I'd suggest looking at the Haynes manual for your car at one of the auto parts stores. If you look in the index, you'll likely find a reference to the evap canister, and there will probably be a photo or two as well where it's visible. Good luck!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Toyota Camry Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Toyota paint problems (Apr '09) May 29 Mjgall 315
1999 Camry Brake failure (Jun '09) May 28 Jeff 34
News Electric Car Drivers Will Throw America Into Ro... May 18 Solarman 1
2003 Toyota Camry A/C button flashing (Apr '07) May 17 bahman 405
1997 toyota camry drivers power door lock will ... (Aug '10) May 17 robking 35
Sloshing sound behind dashboard (Dec '07) May 17 Bram 62
Owner May 16 Rocky 2
More from around the web