1998 Toyota Camry A/C not working

1998 Toyota Camry A/C not working

Posted in the Toyota Camry Forum

Steve

Hamden, CT

#1 Jun 7, 2011
I have a 1998 Toyota Camry LE which does not have working air conditioning.

When I depress the A/C button, not only does it not light up, but it also doesn't send any signal to turn on the A/C. The compressor does not turn on and it appears there is nothing responding when I depress the A/C button.

Could this be a fuse issue? A/C Compressor? Anybody have suggestions or previous experience with this?

Thanks in advance for your help.
Eric

Cleburne, TX

#2 Aug 28, 2011
I have the exact same problem with the exact same car. From what I've read and been told it could be so many things; relay switch, temperature control switch etc. I also have not been able to pass Texas inspection because of a code that says; Insufficient coolant temparature, closed loop
liner

Bronx, NY

#3 Aug 29, 2011
Eric wrote:
I have the exact same problem with the exact same car. From what I've read and been told it could be so many things; relay switch, temperature control switch etc. I also have not been able to pass Texas inspection because of a code that says; Insufficient coolant temparature, closed loop
Either a bad temperature sensor or thermostat.
fred green

Richmond, TX

#4 Oct 15, 2011
Eric wrote:
fred: replace coolant sensor on bottom of radiator
Peter

Macau, Macau

#5 Oct 31, 2013
Mine is 1997 Camry 2.2 and the compressor works fine for the first 30-40 min , then it switches off and only ambient air is available. Here's the tricky part , it only comes to life the next day , with the car completely cold, and it works fine, for a period that can go for 20 min up to an hour ,in some cases it doesn't switch off. Heating could have something to do with the problem , because if the eng is left in idle , say for 10 min , and then I start driving again the problem usually shows up. Anyone experienced this before? If so how did you fix it?
Henry family

United States

#6 Jul 13, 2016
The clutch on my compressor had slipped out of place . I just took a flat head screw driver and pushed it back into place and it works good as new

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Toyota Camry Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Toyota Camry 2012 vibration on acceleration (Aug '14) Tue mr pink 72
would you buy this car ?? 2014 camry how much i... Apr 13 zicowhite 1
Toyota paint problems (Apr '09) Apr 6 Mishy 392
2013 camry shift problem (Jun '13) Apr 4 Christian 41
E/M Button on dashboard next to passenger airba... (Jul '11) Mar 29 Dawn 6
Changing bluetooth from Spanish to English (Jun '13) Mar 27 Samdy 15
03 Toyota Camry ac light flashing no power goin... (Oct '15) Mar 25 pwpetzold 3