Rear Tire Wear
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Karl

Swansboro, NC

#1 Dec 6, 2008
Is anyone with an 07 Grand Vitara having issues with excessive rear tire wear. Please reply
Nick T

United States

#2 Dec 20, 2008
I purchased an 07 used grand Vitara with 17k miles and replaced all 4 tires right away even though only the rear tires were worn on the outer edges. After 9k miles the new tires were once again worn all the way down on the rears. I paid suzuki for an allignment when i installed the new tires, now i bought two more rear tires and dealer told me the allignment was off again. This unit does not go off road. The back end of the Grand Vitara also kicks out at speeds over 50 miles per hour on slick roads. My corolla is front wheel drive with the same tires and no issues with tire wear or control.
Michael

United States

#3 Feb 25, 2009
Had the same problem with my 2008 Grand Vitara. Kept the tires rotated and properly inflated, never went off road or pulled a trailer. I went to get them rotated again and the center of the rear tires are worn to the point of needing replaced. The dealership said they are aware of the issue but Suzuki refuses to do anything about it because its a wearable item. They did try to chock it up to needing alignment but I refuse to pay $89 just for the alignment and then X amount of dollars for 2 new tires every 15k miles. Ridiculous!
OhioDriver

AOL

#4 Mar 6, 2009
You have only just BEGUN your agonizing rear tire wear issues. If you only had a clue what was ahead of you, I truly feek soory for you that have this rear tire wear issue...I've dealt with this for over 2 yrs. it gets worse, but so many are blind to it, just like the Aerio SX model, how many will have to loose control of their GV's, and crash? Save your stimulus checks, you will need them for tires, just like me.
Suzuki GV 2006 owner

AOL

#5 Mar 6, 2009
My rear tire wear complaint started about 7000 miles on it, I have been through 5 DIFFERENT brands, it is not a Bridgestone, or Goodyear problem. The rear wants to "kick out" at any speed it seems, but especially in bad weather. Anyone else having same problems? And yes I ROTATE the tires, and YES the proper air is in them. This is not new to Suzuki, I did read about them Aerio SX's, like mentioned on here, they had same problems, any deaths with this issue yet anyone hear about? Txs,
Pittsburgh, Pa. driver
2007 CV owner
rossladytjr

Houston, TX

#6 Mar 17, 2009
I purchased my GR Vitara in Nov 06 by July 07 the tire was worn dealer suggested need tire rotation. I paid $20 on 7/13/07 back at dealer in Jan 08 in ref to the tires wearing in back, dealer writes customer states rear passenger side tire worn abnormal, found vehicle tire may have has a lack of tire rotation and may need 4 wheel alignment. Replaced 4 tires in April 08 and paid out of pocket for a 4 wheel alignment , dealer replaced rear shocks (fluid leaking) stating that may have caused rear tires to wear May 08. Nov 08 rear tires worn replace new tire on front, front to rear by 5 months later tires are bald again. Plan on purchasing rear tires and pay out of pocket one more time for wheel alignment... Hope someone help us with this situation soon!!! i can't afford tires every 6 months they do not give you a chance to have them rotated....
mike

Massillon, OH

#7 Jun 7, 2009
I have a 2007 Kia Rhonda and have gone through 2 sets of tires the rear tires get bald on the inside and cup. They do not last more than 25,000 miles. I drive mostly highway with only me in the car. Someone told me about a tech advisory I need this to take it to the dealer because they do know about the problem but will not admit it.
john

Killeen, TX

#8 Jun 8, 2009
I have a 2007 vitara with 20,000 miles on it and two bald rear tires..a real problem and expense I did not think would occur until 35,000 miles..Its only the rear and obviously an issue with the vitara and one Susuki needs to take responsibility for...my 2004 vitara had no such problems...
Santa Lucena

United States

#9 Jun 19, 2009
Karl wrote:
Is anyone with an 07 Grand Vitara having issues with excessive rear tire wear. Please reply
Slucena email [email protected]

I am an owner of a Grand Vitara Std. 2007 only owner. This will be the 4th tire change and the vehicle has 35,214 miles only. This is my second Vitara and I had never had any problems with the one previously owned. I have place my email up above, in subject write Suzuki to make it easier on me.
Santa Lucena

United States

#10 Jun 19, 2009
Slucena email [email protected]

I am an owner of a Grand Vitara Std. 2007 only owner. This will be the 4th tire change and the vehicle has 35,214 miles only. This is my second Vitara and I had never had any problems with the one previously owned. I have place my email up above, in subject write Suzuki to make it easier on me.
Paula

Greenwood, AR

#11 Jan 13, 2010
I also have an 08 Grand Vitara. I bought the car and by May with only 6,200 miles, my 2 rear tires are bald. I took it to the dealer and because my car was still considered new, they checked my car out, said nothing was wrong and as a courtesy put new tires on the rear. Since then I have made a trip to Florida and have 21,000 miles and it is Jan and I need 2 new rear tires...nothing is wrong with the front ones. The dealer says it is the driver. I am not a teenager running the streets!!! I am a grandmother of 6!!!!!

Since: Jan 10

AOL

#12 Mar 23, 2010
I was just awarded in Ohio almost $80,000.00 in a lawsuit from ASMC, for my rear tire issue. It is a CSPA claim not just a lemon law suit. It took me a few years but is worth every penny I got, plus they took back the 06 G vitara, and fixed my credit with the lender, don't sit on your hands and hope this goes away, it won't take action like I did, and get your $80K award as well!

Since: Jan 10

AOL

#13 Mar 23, 2010
Paula wrote:
I also have an 08 Grand Vitara. I bought the car and by May with only 6,200 miles, my 2 rear tires are bald. I took it to the dealer and because my car was still considered new, they checked my car out, said nothing was wrong and as a courtesy put new tires on the rear. Since then I have made a trip to Florida and have 21,000 miles and it is Jan and I need 2 new rear tires...nothing is wrong with the front ones. The dealer says it is the driver. I am not a teenager running the streets!!! I am a grandmother of 6!!!!!
I've heard every excuse from Suzuki there is, and accepted them until I almost killed myself and family on a small patch of gravel, it wanted to "kick" around on me. So my atty in OHIO sued them, and they settled out of court a weeks ago for $80,000.00, to avoid going to trial. Good luck on the CSPA claim not just your lemon law claim.
Help me Please

Mckinney, TX

#14 Apr 9, 2010
john wrote:
I have a 2007 vitara with 20,000 miles on it and two bald rear tires..a real problem and expense I did not think would occur until 35,000 miles..Its only the rear and obviously an issue with the vitara and one Susuki needs to take responsibility for...my 2004 vitara had no such problems...
i have the same problems with 2007 grand vitra i am sick of buying rear tires
Mike B

Moseley, VA

#15 Apr 14, 2010
I have a 2008 GV Auto and the tires wore off at about 23,000 klm, i had them replaced and then went to the dealership and to Suzuki Canada for answers about the wear and the vibration i have in the front end, steering wheel, also the GV always feels like it is going over bumps. The delaership has so far replaced the fron axles etc and i am told by the reginonal rep that i will be re-imbrsed for my tires but nothing yet and still having issues. I am very choked at the issues of this unit. Still only has 34,000 klm on the darn thing.
Boyd

Blue Springs, MO

#16 Apr 25, 2010
Karl wrote:
We have a 2007 Grand Vitara with 64,000 miles on it and we're on our fourth set of tires on the rear of the vehicle. We took it to the dealer who insisted "over inflation" was the problem and that the alignment was "dead on. It came from Suzuki with Yokohama tires, they wore out on the rear after 26,000 miles. We put Bridgestone Turanza tires on the front and moved the original Yokohama’s (which were still in great shape) from the front to the rear. At 47,000 miles the Yokohama’s were bald. We put new Bridgestone Turanzas on the rear at that time and had the alignment checked, it was perfect. At 64,000 miles the Bridgestone’s on the rear were bald and needed to be replaced. Meanwhile the Bridgestone’s on the front are still in great shape after 38,000 miles. The tires wear out in the center . Excessive wear starts showing after only a few thousand miles and by 15,000 to 20,000 miles safety becomes an issue due to extreme wear in the center of the tire tread. The vehicle also feels very unstable at the rear end, on wet /icy/snowy roads at nearly any speed during the entire life of the tires. With safety in mind, not to mention the cost of replacing these tires so frequently, we are trying to raise awareness to this problem by getting enough Grand Vitara owners together to potentially/hopefully get some kind of recall for this problem with Suzuki Corporation. We have set up a facebook account for grandvitaratires and have also opened a gmail/email account - [email protected] If you are interested in helping to expose this problem, please respond to either place. If anyone is aware of other established sites for this complaint, please respond with that information.
Houdek Tucson AZ

Tucson, AZ

#17 Jun 10, 2010
I purchase two Grand Vitaras in Dec 2006. 2007 models. One was 4 wheel drive the other a standard drive. Yokohama factory tires 225-70-16
The 4 wheel version got 35 thousand and all wore evenly with the factory tires. I also purchased another Grand Vitara In May 2007. On the standard drive Vitara, in 14K miles the rear tires were worn out all together. Dealer says no warranty on tires.
I went to Discount tire. Yokohama said they would give me a 2 for 1 price on Yokohama Geolandar AT-S 60K tire. So I purchased the 60K tires. They also wore out the rears at 18K miles. Even though I had them rotated every 5K. Front tires still had one third tread left. Same issue with the third Grand Vitara, rear tires wearing out at 14K. I sold the 4 wheel drive unit and also traded in the one Grand Vitara for an SX4 in 2009. Guess what The SX4 also is wearing out the rear tires in 14K. So I am going to sell it also. That leaves me with one 2007 standard drive Grand Vitara with 33K miles. 2nd set of tires and rear is worn out. Fronts look good. One half the tread left. Discount tires aid they will prorate again on the Yokohama Geolandar AT-S 60K tire. I know this is the vehicle and not the tires. I am going to go with a Kumo 85K tire this time and rotate every 3K miles. I hope I get 30K rotating early. Note: the ride is fine, cornering is fine, just horrible rear tire wear. Suzuki needs to fix this. But I love the vehicle itself.
flyone

Broomfield, CO

#18 Jul 7, 2010
eagerbeaver wrote:
<quoted text>
I've heard every excuse from Suzuki there is, and accepted them until I almost killed myself and family on a small patch of gravel, it wanted to "kick" around on me. So my atty in OHIO sued them, and they settled out of court a weeks ago for $80,000.00, to avoid going to trial. Good luck on the CSPA claim not just your lemon law claim.
indeed there was a manufacturer spec change but local alignment shop said not enough to burn tires like the rear ones on my 2008 GV in 7500 miles. so i sense the same frustration spending on alignments and tires. would discussing problem with atty at this early stage help or do i need to go through the cyle of frustration?
David M

Dallas, TX

#19 Jul 13, 2010
I'm glad to have found this web page. My frustration was the tire wear on the rear of my 08 Suzuki Grand Vitara. Everything I am going through has already been written about by all of you. At 20K, I needed new tires, but held off as long as possible. My tire guy has been my only source of tires for 30 years and he suggested Yokohoma tires which was the brand that came with the new vehicle when I bought it brand new in 08. I thought he had finally lost his mind and began second guessing him after all these years. I believe I owe him an appology now. I am going today to have new 80,000 mile Yokohoma TRZ's put on, but I am guessing it won't take long to blow through them. Reading all of these comments has left me very dissheartened, and I bet I return to this site soon.
craig

Austin, TX

#20 Dec 9, 2010
holy smokes, this is nuts. I can't say much of anything different that all of you except my problem is happening on a Reno. I have already bought my third set of tires. I think I am just going to buy cheap two cheap tires every 6 months and rotate them from front to back. Great! I'm glad I happened across this site however, because I was about to start changing shocks, wheel bearing axles, etc!! Save that money and use it for new tires every 6 months. Thanks for sharing all the info.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Suzuki Vitara Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Class-Action Lawsuit Filed Against Suzuki (Dec '09) Sep 16 Brendamc1964 241
Position of the egr valve on the Suzuki Vitara ... Sep 10 Themba Moyo 1
News Suzuki Vitara Owners: Problems & Solutions (Mar '06) Jul '16 KewllKatt 347
engine misfire (Sep '12) Apr '16 Juan ayala 2
2002 suzuki grand vitara white smoke comes out... (Jun '09) Nov '15 Vinny 3
drl fire hazard in suzuki forenza (Nov '14) Jan '15 romaninfla 2
2.0 engine interchangeability (May '14) May '14 fred 1
More from around the web