OHP Hopes New Motorcycle Aids Fight A...

OHP Hopes New Motorcycle Aids Fight Against Reckless Drivers

There are 118 comments on the News on 6 Tulsa story from May 16, 2010, titled OHP Hopes New Motorcycle Aids Fight Against Reckless Drivers. In it, News on 6 Tulsa reports that:

The Oklahoma Highway Patrol has a new high-powered motorcycle it hopes will encourage drivers to slow down.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at News on 6 Tulsa.

First Prev
of 6
Next Last

Since: Apr 10

Chouteau, OK

#102 May 19, 2010
I do not think they should *legally* be able to traffic stop in an unmarked or a somewhat marked car. As a person that represents the law, they should be easily identifiable while on duty.
citzen

United States

#103 May 19, 2010
Wildstang17 wrote:
<quoted text>
My wife was pulled ove by one of these unmarked cars just a few months ago and was pulled over for having a "tailight out". As citizens we should demand that the police forces properly identify themselves and their vehicles so that they can be recognized and verified by a person pulling over for them. It turned out that she questioned the tail light and he quickly told he to just "get it fixed" and didn't write any sort of ticket or anything. Her friend was close by and she called her and she verified that there were no tailights out and my wife was not speeding. So, why did he really pull her over, and was he an actual officer? Well, I checked all her lights when she came home and they were all working then as well and never have any of them been out since. It is all to easy to by the supplies off the internet to make your own "unmarked car" and there have been events in other states (and maybe OK, not sure) where this has happened.
I also think it is a very bad idea to put someone who has been riding HD's on a Busa and turn them loose. These bikes are fast yes, but that is exactly what gets them in trouble without experience and in traffic to boot. I think there are much better ways to accomplish their goals. I am all for getting people to slow down in construction zones and safety, but this isn't going to do it without bringing other issues. This bike is fast enough to run down most "speeders" out there, but a lot is rider as well. This guy has more than his hands full trying to do it on a this bike. This is putting the OHP rider and US at risk. I just hope no citizens out there get hurt by the OHP putting this bike on the road. The faster chase cars they have on the road are capable of doing what needs to be done without having this bike on the road. If a person is running 150 mph+ they are better off using radios, helicopters, additional cars to persue.... not chasing him/her around at these speeds on a bike!
I know Lt Oliphant personally,and I am sure he appreciates your concern for his safety. But Lt Oliphant has been riding all kinds of motorcycles for years. He currently has a Hayabusa for his personal bike. He also attends track days out at the Hallett race track on a regular bases so the Hayabusa is not new to him. Also the OHP cars are marked with the usual Oklahoma door map as well as the State Trooper stickers. If your wife was stopped on Hwy 169 it was probably Tulsa PD.

Since: Apr 10

Chouteau, OK

#104 May 21, 2010
"Reports are the OHP motorcycle rolled near the 41st Street exit ramp"

WOW, we didnt see that one coming, huh?
Kevin

Owasso, OK

#106 May 21, 2010
LOL
Didnt take long to wreck that baby!
Anonymous

Stroud, OK

#105 May 21, 2010
Oh the irony....
Big_Steve

Tulsa, OK

#108 May 21, 2010
HA HA HA wrote:
Ya I remember Years ago when they got camaros and mustangs they wrecked almost all of them right off. Now they are going to thin the herd by darwin awards.
They already wrecked this bike too! There is another story on newson6 about it
Big_Steve

Tulsa, OK

#109 May 21, 2010
Wildstang17 wrote:
<quoted text>
My wife was pulled ove by one of these unmarked cars just a few months ago and was pulled over for having a "tailight out". As citizens we should demand that the police forces properly identify themselves and their vehicles so that they can be recognized and verified by a person pulling over for them. It turned out that she questioned the tail light and he quickly told he to just "get it fixed" and didn't write any sort of ticket or anything. Her friend was close by and she called her and she verified that there were no tailights out and my wife was not speeding. So, why did he really pull her over, and was he an actual officer? Well, I checked all her lights when she came home and they were all working then as well and never have any of them been out since. It is all to easy to by the supplies off the internet to make your own "unmarked car" and there have been events in other states (and maybe OK, not sure) where this has happened.
I also think it is a very bad idea to put someone who has been riding HD's on a Busa and turn them loose. These bikes are fast yes, but that is exactly what gets them in trouble without experience and in traffic to boot. I think there are much better ways to accomplish their goals. I am all for getting people to slow down in construction zones and safety, but this isn't going to do it without bringing other issues. This bike is fast enough to run down most "speeders" out there, but a lot is rider as well. This guy has more than his hands full trying to do it on a this bike. This is putting the OHP rider and US at risk. I just hope no citizens out there get hurt by the OHP putting this bike on the road. The faster chase cars they have on the road are capable of doing what needs to be done without having this bike on the road. If a person is running 150 mph+ they are better off using radios, helicopters, additional cars to persue.... not chasing him/her around at these speeds on a bike!
As a former officer I can tell you this.....ANYTIME you are pulled over by an officer at night you have every right to continue driving until you can pull into a "Well lit" area. Furthermore...you can call dispatch and see if they have an officer patrolling the area in question at that time.
Wildstang17

Tulsa, OK

#110 May 21, 2010
Big_Steve wrote:
<quoted text>
As a former officer I can tell you this.....ANYTIME you are pulled over by an officer at night you have every right to continue driving until you can pull into a "Well lit" area. Furthermore...you can call dispatch and see if they have an officer patrolling the area in question at that time.
Thank you Big_Steve.. Yes, this happened in Broken Arrow and fortunatley he made the stop in front of our friends house. The friend came out and that is when he decided to leave. My wife did call the BA Police right after this incident and they said that they did not have any unmarked cars on duty at the time. I will tell her to program the numbers for TPD, BA Police, and OHP in her phone and do some checking if this happens again.
Wildstang17

Tulsa, OK

#111 May 21, 2010
citzen wrote:
<quoted text>
I know Lt Oliphant personally,and I am sure he appreciates your concern for his safety. But Lt Oliphant has been riding all kinds of motorcycles for years. He currently has a Hayabusa for his personal bike. He also attends track days out at the Hallett race track on a regular bases so the Hayabusa is not new to him. Also the OHP cars are marked with the usual Oklahoma door map as well as the State Trooper stickers. If your wife was stopped on Hwy 169 it was probably Tulsa PD.
Citizen - Looks like he wreck it already, but I am glad he is OK. I am a rider as well and wish him no harm, I just think the OHP shouldn't put him out there on this bike with these goals in mind... BAD IDEA on their part. They are setting ANYONE they put on that bike up for failure and putting them at risk with their expectations... Chasing anyone down at hogh speeds is dangerous no matter how good of a rider you are due to the things you can't control... things in the road, potholes, other drivers... I would rather see them use multiple cars and radios... I hope your friend is OK.
Official Spam Debunker

Okemah, OK

#112 May 21, 2010
catfish wrote:
GOOD LUCK !!!
AGGRESSIVE DRIVERS ARE 40 TIMES MORE DANGEROUS THAN IMPAIRED DRIVERS.
Bovine kaka.

Aggressive??? NOPE.

Confident is the word you need to learn.

The "overly cautious" slow drivers who think they're the ONLY ones on the road CAUSE aggravation & problems ... impaired drivers (like YOURSELF!?!?) are CRIMINALS.
Kitten

Broken Arrow, OK

#113 May 21, 2010
facts wrote:
What a joke. It's nothing more than an unnecessary, over-priced toy that the OHP can play with. Do they really thing ONE motorcycle will make enough difference to justify the cost? How long before the rider gets seriously hurt?
Apparently not long. He wrecked this morning on the highway b/c a truck didn't "see" him.
Fed Up

United States

#114 May 21, 2010
TULSA, OK -- The Oklahoma Highway Patrol has a new high-powered motorcycle it hopes will encourage drivers to slow down.
OHP says all the construction in and around Tulsa has created more dangerous situations, and has made it tough for patrolmen to track down speeders. But this new arrival is expected to change that.
This is one of the most stupid ideas the OHP has had. Someone just wanted an expencive play toy. Most of Oklahoma roads are unsafe or in a construction zone. What are you going to do with them? With the State being broke, just where is all this money coming from? I have a cheaper idea. Go to a salvage yard, buy a junk car, paint it black and white, put it on the shoulder of a construction zone and people will think it is real and slow down.
Martin

Tulsa, OK

#115 May 21, 2010
Less than a week on the road and wrecked:

http://www.newson6.com/Global/story.asp...

Cocky bass terdos

Im betting the poor sap they originally confiscated the motorcycle from will be getting some satisfaction.
Ben

Tulsa, OK

#116 May 21, 2010
Big_Steve wrote:
<quoted text>
As a former officer I can tell you this.....ANYTIME you are pulled over by an officer at night you have every right to continue driving until you can pull into a "Well lit" area. Furthermore...you can call dispatch and see if they have an officer patrolling the area in question at that time.
That's what they say, but by the time you stop they will have reported you as a "pursuit" and you will likely be pulled out of your car by your hair by a mob of police and beaten.
That's how it really works.
Big_Steve

Tulsa, OK

#117 May 21, 2010
Ben wrote:
<quoted text>
That's what they say, but by the time you stop they will have reported you as a "pursuit" and you will likely be pulled out of your car by your hair by a mob of police and beaten.
That's how it really works.
The only time I have ever heard of something like this happening is when the suspect resisted etc. If you slow down and show that you aren't going to run it wont happen!
Simple Math Guy

Tulsa, OK

#118 May 21, 2010
Soooo, lets pretend the guy was going 100mph on that bike, and he just turned his lights on within 400-200 feet of the driver.... math time kiddies

differential of upcoming driver;
100MPH-65MPh=35Mph=51.3FPS

Normal Human Reaction Time;
.5-2 Second Range

Table of Possible Reactions from driver and distance passed;
.5 = 25.65 Feet,
1.= 51.3 Feet,
2.= 102.6 Feet,

Yeah the driver of the truck is not at fault- neither is the OHP, welcome to Speed VS. the Human Brain
jon1nim

Bixby, OK

#119 May 23, 2010
Harley or Busa? Does it matter? The rider makes the difference. I'm sure the bike was free in a drug raid so, it's not like they went out and purchased it. Da Busa won't pull me over when I'm on my bike for speeding. Bikers wave at each other.
gogetum

Owasso, OK

#120 May 28, 2010
I think it is nice that we can have a free open discussion on this topic, but the posts went from 220 to 118 with any adverse post relating to any bad decissions on the OHP or driver in reguard to this motorcycle and inncident dissapeared.... Censorship at its worst........
So I will post this again being more speciffic--
Oph Confiscated a Hayabusha in 2005 and refitted it for the OPH Motorcycle division
http://harleydavidson.pediaspot.com/articles/...

The Oklahoma Highway Patrol (OHP) made headlines in the motorcycle community two years ago when it transformed a seized 2005 Suzuki Hayabusa into a pursuit vehicle. The bike rolled onto the road in 2006 outfitted with a radar unit, emergency lights and siren, F1 stunt bars, mirror extenders, a throttle lock, GPR stabilizer, Corbin saddlebags, and a new OHP-specific paint job.
http://www.dealernews.com/dealernews/Online+E...

Two more wer purchased with drug confisaction sources.(OHP news release)and have been being used in the Oklahoma city area.

The unit assigned to the Tulsa Oklahoma area has only one purpoes and that is to catch and confiscate more, as a regular patrol car lacks the abality to preform the job duty.

The originial post pointed out that thes are free from any taxpayers funds , as they are funded and aquired by consification
As noted: These have been used in the OOKC area for the past 3 years as regular patroll vehicles, only now has Tulsa been assigned one as a high speed interceptor to catch you and your bullet bike, the first for this specific pourpose.

The fleet will undoughtabaly get large as more confiscations occure.
As to my sources bumb ass.. Pick up your phone and call the OHP information desk or learn to use the freedom of information act... Then you can get the truth...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 6
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Suzuki Hayabusa Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Suzuki to Launch New GW250 Bike in India this Year (Oct '11) May '15 truth 3
My life on Hayabusa 100.000 km on a motorcycle (Aug '14) Aug '14 Lutary 2
Hayabusamodel (May '14) May '14 Alex 1
News Suzuki unveils a quiet and green electric motor... (Nov '13) Nov '13 Solarman 1
Yoshimura R77 full exhaust system"carbon fiber"... (Feb '13) Feb '13 Nour 1
News Michael Jackson Hayabusa: Don't Stop 'Til You G... (Jan '13) Jan '13 Adare 3
tail section (Oct '12) Oct '12 james 1
More from around the web