Coming soon: $4 a gallon gas

Full story: Newsday 110
Planning on visiting friends in Washington, D.C., David Kung of Seaford faced a big decision: Drive or take the train? With gas prices skyrocketing, Kung, a 77-year-old retiree, took Amtrak to visit his friends ... Full Story
First Prev
of 6
Next Last
Angela

Bronx, NY

#1 Apr 21, 2008
It is a huge struggle to make ends meet now. I don't drive a huge SUV, but a Honda Civic which gets good mileage. Still, I am being financially pulled in every direction. I put $35 worth of gas in today and did the same on Friday. Just going to work and carting the kids around is getting too expensive.

The school budgets are not out yet and I can only imagine the increase in taxes I will face. The school districts (ESPECIALLY COMMACK) haven't met a tax increase they haven't loved and the sheep in Commack vote for the budget every year.

Anyway, gas in Commack has increased at least 50 cents per gallon in the last month. I am not making any more money and am driving less. Food is costing more and I don't know how I am going to make it.....

Is anyone else feeling the pinch?
tjrover

Seaside, CA

#2 Apr 21, 2008
COMING SOON $4 A GALLON OF GAS

I can't wait. That and the looming LIRR fare hike since they know they have commuters by the cajones.

Since: Oct 07

Bronx, NY

#3 Apr 21, 2008
Ultimately, gas pushes the LIRR too. May as well get used to rising costs of everything. That, and the shrinking dollar. Invest WISELY. We are in real trouble. The kind of trouble that we (including me) thought could never happen here, it only happened to "poor countries".
sickofit

Hampton Bays, NY

#4 Apr 22, 2008
i bet it goes to five and then six bucks by august... wouldnt it be funny if it went to fifteen dollars a gallon... heck...if i owned a gas station id charge twenty bucks a gallon at least why not let the rich get richer...and the rest of us go poor or go to jail trying to live a normal life
Louise

Long Beach, NY

#5 Apr 22, 2008
Gas is $3.99 near the Sayville train station.
SNOW-MUST-GO

Sunnyside, NY

#6 Apr 22, 2008
Sickening isn't it. I remember when I was 5 years old gas was 34 cents a gallon. Blame the Arabs, Blame this government, Blame whomever you want but it will not help.
harry

White Plains, NY

#7 Apr 22, 2008
These energy prices spell one outcome,,,INFLATION !!!!!, at a time when the economy is shrinking and U.S. Banks are going broke. Aint this Globel Economy GRRRReat !!!!! Ilegal Immigrants Mooching us dry, and outsorcing jobs to cheaper in 3d worlds.. We need a Leader ASAP
DemLover

Seattle, WA

#8 Apr 22, 2008
It's over $4 a gallon around Great Neck. It should hit around $6 a gallon by Labor Day.
ligirl

Bay Shore, NY

#9 Apr 22, 2008
LIRR is my new way, for $20 a week I get round trip from Mastic Shirley to Bay shore where I can walk to work.
$20 would not even fill my tank 1 third of the way at $3.69 where that is the current cost on the Wlm Fld.
Chip

Roosevelt, NY

#10 Apr 22, 2008
So for any of us out in Suffolk to get the "lower" gas prices, we'd have to drive to Nassau. From Smithtown going east, there's price gouging. Yesterday, the gas station in Greenport was 3.95 a gallon. If NY has some of the higher state taxes on gas in the nation, why aren't our local legislators lowering the tax? They have the ability to ease this for us. I told my boss I'm spending several hundred a month just to get to work because the LIRR doesn't go east regularly, so I'll be able to telecommute once in a while. What about the poor people who can't telecommute?
http://www.longislandgasprices.com/
TollJob

Safety Harbor, FL

#11 Apr 22, 2008
Its $3.65 down here in central Florida. I am so glad I am out of Long Island now.

Hey, its a nice place to live if you have a lot of money, but it really sucks if you don't.

Last nice time to live on the Island was in the mid to late 80s.

Since then, its been a money pit draining the average blue collar workers savings and earnings.

Get out while you still can!
anonymous

Medford, NY

#12 Apr 22, 2008
We need to shoot Bush the whoamaster and his friends. Or should I say the drunk and his friends. He did this to us, remember he has oil wells so he's raking the bucks and does not care. Hey he filled his pockets and is leaving now.
Dan

Bridgeport, CT

#15 Apr 22, 2008
This is all part of Bush's economic "steal from us" plan.

This year is shaping up to be the worst summer for travel and tourism ever. But it will be the best summer ever for the oil companies.
Ben Dover

Trenton, NJ

#16 Apr 22, 2008
We can not thank the present Government administration enough for putting the American people in this situation. Keep up the good work...Soon we will not be able to buy food too.....
Move South

Trenton, NJ

#17 Apr 22, 2008
TollJob wrote:
Its $3.65 down here in central Florida. I am so glad I am out of Long Island now.
Hey, its a nice place to live if you have a lot of money, but it really sucks if you don't.
Last nice time to live on the Island was in the mid to late 80s.
Since then, its been a money pit draining the average blue collar workers savings and earnings.
Get out while you still can!
I could not agree with you more. L.I. has become a giant pit that sucks the life out of everyone, highest taxes, highest electric, highest insurance, crooked politicians. Clearwater here we come....
Palatka Rules

Medford, NY

#18 Apr 22, 2008
Good.
All the idiots who are driving big SUV's that get between 9-12 MPG should pay a hefty ranson to drive. I can't wait to pick me up a nice big SUV (as a third vehicle to tow a boat) in a few months when there are thousands in the classified ads.

I hope gas prices hit $5 a gallon.
Bye Bye LI

Rye, NY

#19 Apr 22, 2008
Wasn't "Leaving Long Island" a hit movie and a hit song not too long ago?
Kirk

Bronx, NY

#20 Apr 22, 2008
The oil companies can go to **** The dirtbags that run the oil companies are nothing more than the biggest crime syndicate in the world. They are nothing short or extortionists holding our entire country hostage.
LIer

Babylon, NY

#21 Apr 22, 2008
As hard as it is to believe, the President of the United States has nothing to do with oil prices; that is determined by OPEC so go blame them.
Leave LI

Shirley, NY

#22 Apr 22, 2008
Everyone is complaining about the price of gas but we continue to vote our school budgets in each and every year. Taxes are going up as much as $800.00 a year. Do the math as to how much THAT will take out of your budget in just the next five years. Only a third of those taxes a deductible.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 6
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Subaru Outback Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Subaru Reports Best-Ever Sales Month Sep 8 Jesus Ramirez 1
Outback Bucking and Lurching (Aug '06) Aug '14 MSidd 22
Subaru awaits Toyota U.S. plant decision as it ... Apr '14 liner 2
1996 legacy outback dash lights flashing and ot... (Mar '12) Apr '14 Reiz 3
Replacing dashboard lights - 2003 Outback (Oct '07) Mar '14 Lesterag11 9
Starting Diesel (Dec '13) Dec '13 Ananta Shrestha 1
The Stray Birds land in Asheville, coming to Ca... (Nov '13) Nov '13 ApePeeD 1

Buy a New Car

Zipcode:
•••