Consumer dropouts swear off new produ...

Consumer dropouts swear off new products for a year

There are 3 comments on the TwinCities.com story from Jan 19, 2009, titled Consumer dropouts swear off new products for a year. In it, TwinCities.com reports that:

The first time my husband and I pledged to buy nothing new for a whole year, in 2007, we were trying to be green and to reject consumer gluttony.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at TwinCities.com.

Frugal

Minneapolis, MN

#1 Jan 19, 2009
Good article! Usually all the articles out there about saving money are "no brainers". This one really made you think about all the stuff we stockpile and waste!
Bob the Bilderberg

Minneapolis, MN

#2 Jan 19, 2009
Obama will not be happy. He's going to give a speech tomorrow begging people to go out and spend money. Lots of money.
Jilly

Saint Paul, MN

#3 Feb 5, 2009
Great article with one exception - you do need to upgrade your house to even retain it's value. Otherwise, at some point you'll end up doing a LOT of work at one time as things wear out, and it will cost a bundle. If you are handy at all, you can do much of the work yourself and save a ton of money. It took a month, but my husband and I installed granite tile countertops in our kitchen. We spent less than $500 on materials and they are gorgeous. The original quote we had for similar work was about $8000. It was well worth it. To do those kinds of projects, you do have to purchase tools, but get good ones adn they'll last a lifetime of projects. Tools pay for themselves in no time.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Subaru Outback Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
02 H6 Rear humming noise Nov 5 WrenchFingers 1
2002 outback Oct '17 02wagon 1
Outback Bucking and Lurching (Aug '06) Oct '17 davewilliams52 27
Exhaust diameter and tip add on Sep '17 ventrillion 1
1997 outback SUS? Aug '17 97SUS 1
tow weight Jul '17 boater 1 1
Erratic idle Jul '17 Drtkill18 1
More from around the web