Toyota to idle 2 U.S. plants amid recalls

Full story: The Washington Post

On this Feb. 8, 2010, photo, s modified accelerator pedal from a Toyota 2007 Hybrid Camry is replaced at Jack Taylor's Alexandria Toyota-Scion in Alexandria, Va.
Comments
21 - 30 of 30 Comments Last updated Feb 22, 2010
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
liner

Hicksville, NY

#22 Feb 17, 2010
TEA wrote:
<quoted text>
Tell that to the 4,500 people who are losing their jobs and hopes of retirement because Toyota is stopping the U.S. production and moving production to Japan. If you want to classify working somewhere 24 years and being 6 years short of retirement "wishful daydreaming" that is your opinion.
But aren't YOU the one who alleged the "retirement conspiracy"? I stated easily verifiable facts why they closed the NUMMI plant. What have you got, besides your biased opinion?
TEA

Saint Louis, MO

#23 Feb 17, 2010
liner wrote:
<quoted text>
But aren't YOU the one who alleged the "retirement conspiracy"? I stated easily verifiable facts why they closed the NUMMI plant. What have you got, besides your biased opinion?
Are the laid off employees going to get their time in to retire now?

Are the laid off employees going to be transferred to Japan along with the production?

The closing encompasses more than you want to admit. The end ramification of the closing are loss of retirement for many American employees....
liner

Hicksville, NY

#24 Feb 17, 2010
TEA wrote:
<quoted text>
Are the laid off employees going to be transferred to Japan along with the production?
The closing encompasses more than you want to admit. The end ramification of the closing are loss of retirement for many American employees....
Couldn't you also say the end ramification of the closing is the huge savings to Toyota in not running an unprofitable assembly plant? Why does it HAVE to be only your biased opinion?
TEA

Saint Louis, MO

#25 Feb 17, 2010
liner wrote:
<quoted text>
Couldn't you also say the end ramification of the closing is the huge savings to Toyota in not running an unprofitable assembly plant? Why does it HAVE to be only your biased opinion?
Why are you so adamant about sticking up for Toyota? Are you affiliated with Toyota in some way?

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#26 Feb 17, 2010
I have to agree...liner must be. Again if they are leaving our country stop buying their junk!!! That goes for all mfg's....Our country needs the jobs...if they want to send them to MX or Japan let those people buy their stuff. If our gov't was smart they would tax the heck out of their stuff so it would no longer be shipped in. That goes for GM and Ford too. Buy American needs to be a campaign again!!!
liner

Hicksville, NY

#27 Feb 17, 2010
TEA wrote:
<quoted text>
Why are you so adamant about sticking up for Toyota? Are you affiliated with Toyota in some way?
I'm NOT adamant about sticking up for Toyota. I am, however, adamant about rejecting obvious biases and anyone promoting an anti-anything agenda.
Without a doubt, Toyota is coming apart at the seams and they deserve to be severely chastised but I find it tiresome to read posts "piling on" Toyota without any facts behind it. "I have a Toyota with 150,000 miles on it and the transmission went and Toyota refuses to do anything about it so I'll never buy another one again". I find that stupid. An anti-Toyota agenda is as useless as an anti-GM, Ford, or whatever agenda.
TEA

Saint Louis, MO

#28 Feb 17, 2010
liner wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm NOT adamant about sticking up for Toyota. I am, however, adamant about rejecting obvious biases and anyone promoting an anti-anything agenda.
Without a doubt, Toyota is coming apart at the seams and they deserve to be severely chastised but I find it tiresome to read posts "piling on" Toyota without any facts behind it. "I have a Toyota with 150,000 miles on it and the transmission went and Toyota refuses to do anything about it so I'll never buy another one again". I find that stupid. An anti-Toyota agenda is as useless as an anti-GM, Ford, or whatever agenda.
Toyota is the one doing all the recalling, closing and Idiling factories, laying people off and moving production back to Japan.

I am not "piling on" just stating the facts and ramifications. It's a fact some of these defects have been going on for years. So you tell me why you think someone is "anti" for telling the truth.
liner

Hicksville, NY

#29 Feb 17, 2010
TEA wrote:
<quoted text>
Toyota is the one doing all the recalling, closing and Idiling factories, laying people off and moving production back to Japan.
I am not "piling on" just stating the facts and ramifications. It's a fact some of these defects have been going on for years. So you tell me why you think someone is "anti" for telling the truth.
OK, so if Toyota is closing and idling factories, laying people off and moving(some)production back to Japan, why is that so bad, but OK when GM and Chrysler were going ch 11 and were closing and idling factories, laying people off and moving(some)production to Mexico?
Unlike the current US administration, most businesses aren't welfare organizations and job banks. If they need to close factories and lay off workers in order to be profitable or even to stay in business, then Toyota has as much right to do those things as GM or Chrysler. Telling the truth is fine, just not the "selective" truth.
TEA

Saint Louis, MO

#30 Feb 17, 2010
liner wrote:
<quoted text>
OK, so if Toyota is closing and idling factories, laying people off and moving(some)production back to Japan, why is that so bad, but OK when GM and Chrysler were going ch 11 and were closing and idling factories, laying people off and moving(some)production to Mexico?
Unlike the current US administration, most businesses aren't welfare organizations and job banks. If they need to close factories and lay off workers in order to be profitable or even to stay in business, then Toyota has as much right to do those things as GM or Chrysler. Telling the truth is fine, just not the "selective" truth.
FYI

Anyone who thinks Toyota has any loyalty whatsoever to the American workforce had better think again.

Toyota has also received subsidies paid for by the U.S. taxpayers. Here is a partial list.

$323.9 million in subsidies for the plant in Tupelo from Mississippi taxpayers.

$371 million in subsidies for the Georgetown plant from Kentucky taxpayers.

$227.5 million in subsidies and tax incentives for the Tundra plant by Local, Texas, and U.S. taxpayers.

$29 million in subsidies for the Huntsville Engine plant by Alabama taxpayers.

Toyota received a tax abatement for $93.2 million in real investment and $9 million in personal investment. Ann Arbor, Michigan

Buyers of hybrid-electric passenger vehicles each received tax credits of $3,150 per vehicle sold in the United States. This amounted to at least $189 million for the 60,000 Toyota Prius cars sold.

Why are U.S. tax dollars being given to Toyota?

San Antonio offered $133.2 million in direct benefits to attract Toyota, while rivals in Tennessee, Alabama and Mississippi offered deals ranging from $150 million to $500 million.

This is crazy!

As for Chrysler St. Louis- the plants were ordered closed via the car czar and production of the minivan went to Canada. Production of the truck was split but not 50/50, the rambox went to Warren Michigan and the rest (majority) to Mexico. That's right the government used tax dollars (via the loan) to move most of the production of St. Louis out of the country.(sarcasm on)I guess this is the UAW payback I hear so much about?(sarcasm off)....

Since: May 09

Dearborn, MI

#31 Feb 22, 2010
TEA wrote:
<quoted text>
Toyota To Idle Two U.S. Plants in Wake of Recall

Published Feb 17, 2010

"Toyota said the latest production halt will not result in layoffs. Instead, "team members will participate in training and plant improvement activities," it said."
http://www.insideline.com/toyota/toyota-to-id ...

Paying auto workers to NOT build cars......isn't that a "job(s) bank"?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Scion Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
When Scion's too tiny, Toyota pilot program all... Apr '14 Parris Boyd 1
Test Drive: 2013 Scion FR-S (Mar '13) Feb '14 Slimside87 3
2013 Kia Soul: Over the top in a good way (Apr '13) Jan '14 Great Car 7
Johnson Controls' smaller battery pack may jolt... (Nov '13) Nov '13 Solarman 1
Ridin' Around - August 2013 (Aug '13) Aug '13 Anonymous 1
David Suzuki says the ocean is not a garbage ca... (Nov '12) Aug '13 Hun 4
This Surrey parrot ain't no Stompin' Tom, but c... (Mar '13) Mar '13 Bud The Spud 1

Buy a New Car

Zipcode:
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••

Scion People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••