Consumer Reports: Toyota ranked most ...

Consumer Reports: Toyota ranked most reliable

There are 1274 comments on the Newsday story from Oct 24, 2008, titled Consumer Reports: Toyota ranked most reliable. In it, Newsday reports that:

Toyota Motor Co.'s Scion brand tops the list of most reliable cars in Consumer Reports' annual vehicle reliability study, as Asian automakers continue to fill the top of the magazine's rankings.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.

First Prev
of 64
Next Last
local

Windsor Locks, CT

#1337 Nov 5, 2009
A few years back we were given an '01 Honda Civic from a family member too old to drive. We never had an import before. Always was proud to buy American. It had 35K for miles. My kids drive it and it now has 125K. This car was a nightmare. Imagine this: For the 90K we've owned this car, I put on 2 sets of tires, 1 set of brake pads/rotors, 1 battery, and routine oil changes. How could Honda get away with selling junk that would require this much maintenance?
I still have a 2000 F350/diesel that runs strong (the motor I mean). Ball joints at 40K, rotted brake lines at 50K, warped rotors, HVAC vacuum issues, torque converter issues, to name a few. The truck is a piece of crap but I'm stuck with it.
Our last purchase was a new Toyota Highlander which now has 50K for miles. The new car warranty was a huge overkill. The car has never been in the shop.
Bottom line: the 2 Japanese cars we own have been the best in reliability in my lifetime (and i've been around a while).
I also have been charged with overseeing the maintenance of a small fleet of Crown Vics. Most are newer low mileage vehicles. These cars are in and out of the shop for warranty work like yo-yo's. Junk.
I will not cast blame on either the UAW or the manufacturer(s) for putting junk on the street. They are both guilty.
But while the freedom of choice is still a right in the USA, I will continue to purchase foreign until the US automakers prove their products are as reliable as the others.
liner

Bronx, NY

#1338 Nov 5, 2009
whatever wrote:
<quoted text>
Don't forget to look up Ford cruise control issues. Just a few carrs had that problem. lol!
My point is that you could google any car with any problem and get any number of results. These idiots with their agenda keep posting the same inane crap, adding nothing to the thread.
whatever

Lincolnshire, IL

#1339 Nov 5, 2009
local wrote:
A few years back we were given an '01 Honda Civic from a family member too old to drive. We never had an import before. Always was proud to buy American. It had 35K for miles. My kids drive it and it now has 125K. This car was a nightmare. Imagine this: For the 90K we've owned this car, I put on 2 sets of tires, 1 set of brake pads/rotors, 1 battery, and routine oil changes. How could Honda get away with selling junk that would require this much maintenance?
I still have a 2000 F350/diesel that runs strong (the motor I mean). Ball joints at 40K, rotted brake lines at 50K, warped rotors, HVAC vacuum issues, torque converter issues, to name a few. The truck is a piece of crap but I'm stuck with it.
Our last purchase was a new Toyota Highlander which now has 50K for miles. The new car warranty was a huge overkill. The car has never been in the shop.
Bottom line: the 2 Japanese cars we own have been the best in reliability in my lifetime (and i've been around a while).
I also have been charged with overseeing the maintenance of a small fleet of Crown Vics. Most are newer low mileage vehicles. These cars are in and out of the shop for warranty work like yo-yo's. Junk.
I will not cast blame on either the UAW or the manufacturer(s) for putting junk on the street. They are both guilty.
But while the freedom of choice is still a right in the USA, I will continue to purchase foreign until the US automakers prove their products are as reliable as the others.
Whoa, whoa, whoa. Let me get this straight.

A) You or whoever drove this car for 90,000 miles and you thought you could keep driving with ONLY ONE set of tires? I don't know of any tires that last 90,000 miles.

B) You thought that changing the brake pads and rotors once was ONE too many times?

C) You thought that NEVER changing the oil in your car for 90,000 miles was proper maintenance??

D) You changed your battery ONCE in 90,000 miles. Probably the only time in 125,000 miles it's been changed.

WTF?!?! What planet do you live on that you would think that any of this was a nightmare??? Changing your tires, battery, oil and brake pads is part of routine maintenance and you SHOULD be doing this. You better bust out that car manual and read it. I'm surprised the car has lasted this long under your utterly clueless and careless supervision.
Joe

Indianapolis, IN

#1340 Nov 5, 2009
People are dying in those Toyotas. Come to find out it is not the mats. Toyota lied and people died. Still dying.
liner

Bronx, NY

#1341 Nov 5, 2009
Joe wrote:
People are dying in those Toyotas. Come to find out it is not the mats. Toyota lied and people died. Still dying.
It's NOT the mats? Oh, what then???? Hi cholesterol?
Sam Walton

Altamonte Springs, FL

#1342 Nov 5, 2009
I would sell Toyota's at WalMart...if only they were made in China
whatever

Lincolnshire, IL

#1343 Nov 5, 2009
Sam Walton wrote:
I would sell Toyota's at WalMart...if only they were made in China
Why not? GM is partnering with Ebay. Maybe Chrysler will partner with Craigslist next?
local

Windsor Locks, CT

#1344 Nov 5, 2009
Wake up Dopey, I was employing a bit of tongue-in-cheek......... that Honda has been an extremely reliable car.
whatever wrote:
<quoted text>
Whoa, whoa, whoa. Let me get this straight.
A) You or whoever drove this car for 90,000 miles and you thought you could keep driving with ONLY ONE set of tires? I don't know of any tires that last 90,000 miles.
B) You thought that changing the brake pads and rotors once was

ONE too many times?
C) You thought that NEVER changing the oil in your car for 90,000 miles was proper maintenance??
D) You changed your battery ONCE in 90,000 miles. Probably the only time in 125,000 miles it's been changed.
WTF?!?! What planet do you live on that you would think that any of this was a nightmare??? Changing your tires, battery, oil and brake pads is part of routine maintenance and you SHOULD be doing this. You better bust out that car manual and read it. I'm surprised the car has lasted this long under your utterly clueless and careless supervision.
liner

Bronx, NY

#1345 Nov 5, 2009
Sam Walton wrote:
I would sell Toyota's at WalMart...if only they were made in China
LOL! Well, Japan.....it's close isn't it?
whatever

Lincolnshire, IL

#1346 Nov 5, 2009
local wrote:
Wake up Dopey, I was employing a bit of tongue-in-cheek......... that Honda has been an extremely reliable car.
<quoted text>
Thanks chief. You should probably put a hint somewhere that you were implying that. Maybe something like this *sarcasm alert* so people know. This is not a face to face conversation so people can't read facial expressions.
camry junk

Bar Harbor, ME

#1347 Nov 5, 2009
The toyota camry 07 and up is a junk box with many many unfixable problems that become normal when toyota can not come up with a so called fix.
Sam Walton

Altamonte Springs, FL

#1349 Nov 6, 2009
Please see the 2010 rickshaw at your local Walmart.

Not close to a WalMart? Just blink...we'll build one tomorrow!
Hughes Muse

Spring, TX

#1350 Mar 17, 2015
Lots of tiny death traps. Not a good choice for having to drive in Houston traffic.
Raj Chanani

Pomona, CA

#1351 Feb 22, 2017
Toyota Corolla - Fantastic car, Great gas mileage, Excellent maintenance.

Toyota Camry - Wonderful car, Better than Corolla, Excellent gas mileage, Wonderful design.

Honda Accord - Wonderful car, Roomy, Good gas mileage, Excellent design.

Mitsubishi Galant - Wonderful car, Excellent name, Good gas mileage, Roomy, Excellent design.

Nissan Maxima - Excellent car, Very powerful V6 engine, Decent gas mileage, Roomy, Excellent design.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 64
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Scion Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Mountain Wheels: A last visit to the island of ... (Feb '16) Mar '16 allover 2
New Scion iA sedan model announced for NY show (Mar '15) Feb '16 Scion is gay 2
News When Scion's too tiny, Toyota pilot program all... (Apr '14) Apr '14 Parris Boyd 1
News Test Drive: 2013 Scion FR-S (Mar '13) Feb '14 Slimside87 3
News 2013 Kia Soul: Over the top in a good way (Apr '13) Jan '14 Great Car 7
News Johnson Controls' smaller battery pack may jolt... (Nov '13) Nov '13 Solarman 1
News Ridin' Around - August 2013 (Aug '13) Aug '13 Anonymous 1
More from around the web