Toyota's Scion named most reliable ve...

Toyota's Scion named most reliable vehicle

There are 12 comments on the South Florida Sun-Sentinel story from Oct 23, 2008, titled Toyota's Scion named most reliable vehicle. In it, South Florida Sun-Sentinel reports that:

Toyota Motor Corp.'s Scion brand topped the list of most reliable cars in Consumer Reports ' annual vehicle reliability study, as Asian automakers continued to crowd the top of the magazine's rankings.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at South Florida Sun-Sentinel.

Michael Karesh

Detroit, MI

#1 Oct 23, 2008
What CR doesn't say:

1. The data are already about five months old, and will be over a year old when many people use them to buy a car next summer.

2. The average problem rate isn't very high, probably around 18 problems per 100 cars for the 2008s (based on past years; they didn't have a number when asked this year). So the differences between the different "blobs" is three or four problems per 100 cars. In both cases, the numbers are probably much lower than many people think.

For a site that promptly updates its vehicle reliability information four times a year and posts the actual repair rates:

http://www.truedelta.com

After all, do you want to know how reliable a car was a year ago, when it was a year younger, or how reliable it has been recently?
Joe

Pompano Beach, FL

#2 Oct 24, 2008
Chrysler will die if they don't fix their problems.
Helio

Pompano Beach, FL

#3 Oct 24, 2008
So?
DREW

Pittsburgh, PA

#4 Oct 24, 2008
And people wonder why the vast majority of the buying public no longer buys "american".
elmer fudd

United States

#5 Oct 24, 2008
be vewy quiet - I see a wascally wabbit in the photo - look in front of the car.
bdog

Flushing, MI

#7 Oct 25, 2008
Who is going to fed your kids the japs,fool.
Liberal Left is wrong

Miami, FL

#8 Oct 25, 2008
bdog wrote:
Who is going to fed your kids the japs,fool.
You had better jump on back to the WWII era their bud. That racist term does not cut it. How about I kick your stupid union, no skills having, tail for using it?
Englewood, CO

#9 Oct 26, 2008
Liberal Left is wrong wrote:
<quoted text>
You had better jump on back to the WWII era their bud. That racist term does not cut it. How about I kick your stupid union, no skills having, tail for using it?
You say racist like its a bad thing?
Scion Rules

Ann Arbor, MI

#10 Oct 27, 2008
Hey,
I have owned Toyotas and a Scion. On these cars all I ever have to do is normal maintenance (oil, tires, brakes, fluids). I usually drive them for at least 150K and they are just as good as when I bought them. I have owned Fords also, and had to do maintenance all the time on every single one that I have had. Also, the cars would rattle and have major problems with the power train, or electrical. When every single one of these domestic cars approach 100K, they seemed like they were 100K. I will always buy Toyota/Scion cars...
Micron234

United States

#11 Oct 28, 2008
Scion Rules wrote:
Hey,
I have owned Toyotas and a Scion. On these cars all I ever have to do is normal maintenance (oil, tires, brakes, fluids). I usually drive them for at least 150K and they are just as good as when I bought them. I have owned Fords also, and had to do maintenance all the time on every single one that I have had. Also, the cars would rattle and have major problems with the power train, or electrical. When every single one of these domestic cars approach 100K, they seemed like they were 100K. I will always buy Toyota/Scion cars...
Sounds like you and are of the same mindset. If they don't go wrong keep buying them. I have had the exact same experience that you have appeared to have. The only difference being that my expericence is from driving Fords. And both of my Fords were bought before Ford started ranking at the top in the quality surveys. I had 205K on my 1988 F150 and only had to replace the alternator along with regular maintenance items such as belts, hoses, brakes, oil, and tires. When I sold it it still didn't use any oil. I currently have a 2001 Explorer with 145K trouble free miles. I have changed the oil, brakes and tires but still haven't changed any hoses yet. I guess I'm still waiting for Ford to let me down. 20 years and I'm still pleased. On the flip side I recenlty had the pleasure of riding in a new Corolla. Could not even converse with the people in the front seat due how much wind and road noise made it's way into the cabin. Makes me want to go test drive a new Focus to compare the two. Since I read that the Focus ranks the best at having the quietest cabin in the sub-compact category. I don't understand why people continue to pay the import premium for equal or lesser vehicles that Toyota and Honda bring to the table.
bdog

Flushing, MI

#12 Nov 4, 2008
Liberal Left is wrong wrote:
<quoted text>
You had better jump on back to the WWII era their bud. That racist term does not cut it. How about I kick your stupid union, no skills having, tail fo
r using it?
U forclose on your home yet ? lose your job? keep buying foriegn!!!!
Savage Factory

AOL

#13 Nov 4, 2008
bdog wrote:
<quoted text>U forclose on your home yet ? lose your job? keep buying foriegn!!!!
Right on. And working for Toyota and Honda, which employ 18,000 in Ohio and Kentucky, and are hiring 3,000 in a new plant in Greensburg, Ind. You can call for appl. Buy the best quality cars made in America - Toyota and Honda. Work for either of the two best auto companies in America, same ones.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Scion Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Mountain Wheels: A last visit to the island of ... Mar '16 allover 2
New Scion iA sedan model announced for NY show (Mar '15) Feb '16 Scion is gay 2
News Consumer Reports: Toyota ranked most reliable (Nov '08) Mar '15 Hughes Muse 1,273
News When Scion's too tiny, Toyota pilot program all... (Apr '14) Apr '14 Parris Boyd 1
News Test Drive: 2013 Scion FR-S (Mar '13) Feb '14 Slimside87 3
News 2013 Kia Soul: Over the top in a good way (Apr '13) Jan '14 Great Car 7
News Johnson Controls' smaller battery pack may jolt... (Nov '13) Nov '13 Solarman 1
More from around the web