Latest Scion Campaign All About Deviants

Jun 26, 2007 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: MediaPost Publications

“Being a little deviant, it contradicts everyone else's proposition”

The five-door xD, which goes on sale in August, is the fourth vehicle in Scion's portfolio. via MediaPost Publications

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 3 of3
ToxicHaste

Cockeysville, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 12, 2007

I never really cared much for this campaign. It seemed a tad bit forced. "Hey folks! Wanna know what's cool?! Take it from a major car company to tell you what's cool! Yeah! ROCK ON!!!"

Scion's been trying (buying) awfully hard to show everyone they've got some street cred. They've got to keep a couple key things in mind when developing these campaigns:
First: They're selling inexpensive cars with interesting body designs, NOT restored '64 Chevy Impalas. Real credibility is earned, not bought. If Scion has to spend over $30 million in ads telling everyone how cool and credible they are, chances are pretty good that they're not all that cool. Having to buy cool is for poseurs.
Second: I was told by Scion's reps that the "...Deviant campaign was meant to target a free thinking demographic that challenged conformity with an open mind." Most of the free thinkers Iíve met manage to keep an open mind without having to fantasize about committing violent crimes.

Lastly, "Sheeple" seem like the sort of people that would own (buy) a Camry, eh? It seems that Scion's "deviant" campaign is counter productive to Toyota's overall business plan, when they start belittling the owners of their number one selling product, no?

I was hoping to buy the tC later this year, but I ain't no deviant poseur. I'll just stick with my tricked-out emerald '71 Volvo p1800e for now.

Try, try again, Scion.
MADOGGUSMC

Layton, UT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 18, 2007

Though I agree with what is said about violent advertising... I never gave thought to the advertising, I simply looked at the car design and all of its accessories and how much the car performs to my standards. The biggest problem I have with Scion is their attitude when you order your car. They told me that in 2 weeks, they would tell me when my car would be ready. In a period of 2 months they gave several answers to why my car was not being built and refused to let me know when they would get to it. The attitude at production is "you will get your car when it gets there." It seems to me that Scion is the little Deviant that treats the customer like a Sheeple.
SactoEric

Oakland, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 29, 2008

MADOGGUSMC wrote:
Though I agree with what is said about violent advertising... I never gave thought to the advertising, I simply looked at the car design and all of its accessories and how much the car performs to my standards. The biggest problem I have with Scion is their attitude when you order your car. They told me that in 2 weeks, they would tell me when my car would be ready. In a period of 2 months they gave several answers to why my car was not being built and refused to let me know when they would get to it. The attitude at production is "you will get your car when it gets there." It seems to me that Scion is the little Deviant that treats the customer like a Sheeple.
That sounds more like a problem with a specific dealer than w/ a whole brand. You can always go to another dealer, or contact Scion directly at Scion.com . You may want to do that anyway, just so they know how you were treated. They take customer care very seriously from what I understand. There are plenty of happy xB owners at http://NewScionxB.com who had no problem with the buying process. I actually had no wait time.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 3 of3
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Scion Discussions

Search the Scion Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
When Scion's too tiny, Toyota pilot program all... Apr '14 Parris Boyd 1
Test Drive: 2013 Scion FR-S (Mar '13) Feb '14 Slimside87 3
2013 Kia Soul: Over the top in a good way (Apr '13) Jan '14 Great Car 7
Johnson Controls' smaller battery pack may jolt... (Nov '13) Nov '13 Solarman 1
Ridin' Around - August 2013 (Aug '13) Aug '13 Anonymous 1
David Suzuki says the ocean is not a garbage ca... (Nov '12) Aug '13 Hun 4
This Surrey parrot ain't no Stompin' Tom, but c... (Mar '13) Mar '13 Bud The Spud 1
•••

Buy a New Car

Zipcode:
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••