Saab Oil Sludge Problems

Posted in the Saab Forum

First Prev
of 8
Next Last
Cbradmon

Denver, CO

#1 Feb 8, 2007
We are currently investigating design defects in Saab vehicles which can lead to oil sludge problems
and engine failure. The models are:
1999 - 2003 Saab 9-5 with the turbocharged 2.3 liter four-cylinder engine.
2000 - 2003 Saab 9-3 with the turbocharged 2.0 liter four-cylinder engine.
1999 Saab 9-3 Viggen with the turbocharged 2.3 liter four-cylinder engine.
We are interested in hearing the details of anyone's experiences, including any dealings with Saab or
Saab dealers in connection with its "extended warranty" offer.
PLEASE CONTACT:
Carla Bradmon, Paralegal
Irwin & Boesen, P.C.
501 South Cherry Street
Suite 500
Denver, CO 80246-1327
E-Mail: cbradmon@irwin-boesen.com
Phone: 800-964-1911
Fax: 303-320-1915
Karen Stout

Middletown, NY

#2 May 5, 2007
I own a 2001 SAAB 9-3 convertible. The engine blew due to an oil sludge problem and I have had no luck with SAAB Corporate or the dealership where I purchased the "certified pre-owned SAAB". I keep hoping to recoup some of the money that has been thrown away on this car. If anyone can offer me any recourse I would greatly appreciate it. I am more than will to supply you with all of the specifics of my experience with this oil sludge problem and with SAAB.

Thank you and I look forward to hearing from you.
Chris

Schaumburg, IL

#3 May 25, 2007
I have a saab 9-5 2001. My engine started to work weird lately so I took it to the dealer . What they told me is that it most probably is an oil sludge and in order to check it out for me at no cost they would have to see the proof that the oil was regularly changed at least once every 10k miles. I bought the car when it had 42K miles and since then I changed the oil every 3k miles. Now it has 51K. When I looked in history of the car I found out that the first stated oil change was after 25 thousand miles at the dealer. Now I have the problem cause they want the proof that I cant get since I'm the second owner.
Charlotte

Atlanta, GA

#4 May 31, 2007
I own a 2000 Saab 9-3 and experienced oil sludge and complete engine failure in July 2006 with 87K miles. I spent almost 6 months fighting with Saab with my oil change records (apparently, they were not up to their standards). I'm the second owner and bought the car with 24k. Problem is I didn't buy it from the dealer and chose not to pay their high oil change prices - took the car to other locations for my 5-7K changes. I filed a BBB claim and when Saab got involved again, the representative offered me $1000 towards the purchase of a new car... I was furious. I asked if they would put that towards fixing the one I had and they said no. I have now fixed the car $5000 and am about to sell it. I will never drive a Saab again. They should be ashamed that they do not honor this obvious PR ploy.
Jim

Albany, NY

#5 May 31, 2007
I just got off of the phone with my local Saab dealer regarding my 2001 9-3SE and this problem.

I'm at 64,000 miles and experienced a "low pressure" warning on a recent highway trip. We pulled over quickly and had the car towed to a local (not Saab) garage. A few hundred dollars of diagnosis later, he recommended dropping the engine, changing the timing chain, etc.-- at least $3000.

I may be lucky, as I bought the car used from the local dealer and they do have all but the latest service record, which I do have a receipt for. We'll see if they object to the "quickie" oil change or to the fact I took it somewhere else originally. I'm supposed to hear from someone within a few weeks.

I've also had a ignition module issue with this car (the day after I took delivery), but that was taken care of.

Good luck!
Rich Clark

United States

#6 May 31, 2007
I have a 2002 9-5 Saab whose engine blew with no warning whatsoever at 52,000 miles. Maintenance had been performed according to recommended standards. My claim was denied by Saab, and I replaced the engine with a used one to the tune of $6800. Then, three monthes later, the turbo blew and cost me $1700 to replace. I hate to throw good money after bad, but I'm getting stuck in the sludge problem. I am re-submitting my claim to Saab, but am not hopeful. Did I hear someone propose class-action suit?
Jim

Albany, NY

#7 Jun 15, 2007
Just so you know, I did receive a new engine; it is possible. Good luck.
guy belgium

Nevele, Belgium

#8 Jun 15, 2007
i have a 2003 saab 9 3 convertible 2 liter engine turbo 101 000 km
3 weeks ago when i was driving on the highway i heard suddenly a noise
when i slowed down the oillight came up ,
to late even that i stopped immediately did not help .
i am the first owner and the car is serviced always at the same dealer with their full synthetic oil .
i am waiting for saab on their "goodwill" for a replacement engine ,i am not very hopefull .
when i informed the dealer about a sludge problem around 481000 km he told me that this was normal .
i am very disappointed
Patrick

Scottsdale, AZ

#9 Jun 15, 2007
Check with dealer first, but adding "miracle oil" to my engine oil at every oil change prevents "buildup",cleans valves(prevents "blowby of carbons") and restores gaskets. My saab is going on 400k miles and still going strong.
judy

Augusta, ME

#10 Jul 1, 2007
I also leased then purchased my 2001 saab 9.5.
I purchased it after leasing for 4 years with
33,000 miles as a certified pre-owned with a certificate showing so.. I purchased with an additional extended warranty. It has been to the dealer for bad turbo, oil pressure light on and off all the time and a ton of engine related problems. At 70k miles the oil pressure light and engine light came on again and we had the car towed to the dealership. The problem guess what? Sludge? We showed
receipts of all oil changes since the beginning
of ownership but because they did not show mileage- Sorry can not cover however they always covered everything else in the past.

extended warranty. It has been to the dealer
numerous times for everything from turbo, oil
pr
Paul

Glendale, AZ

#11 Jul 6, 2007
My 2002 Saab convertible just quit on me last week. I had it towed to the dealer and just got word that there was an engine oil sludge problem. Since I've always had the recommended service performed at the dealer I'm expecting to be covered under the extended engine warranty. I'll keep posting to this site as I find out more info.
Paul

Glendale, AZ

#12 Jul 13, 2007
Well, I'm reporting back that Saab customer service called to tell me that they will cover 100% of the repair. I haven't gotten the car back but this is a great start!
Kirk

UK

#13 Jul 23, 2007
We had our 2002 LPT 93 Saab die as a result of Oil Sludge with just 48k on the clock.

Luckily we have had main dealer service history since new (5 years) and although more costly than a private garage, has been worth its weight in gold, as Saab replaced the Engine and Turbo at their own cost.
Kimberly

Long Branch, NJ

#15 Jul 23, 2007
saab will not cover cost due to 1 piece of missing paperwork from a service at a saab dealership that closed down and took the paperwork!
Kathy

Saint Albans, VT

#16 Jul 29, 2007
My 2001 SAAB 9-3 convertible died on 87 north of Albany with no warning last week. The engine oil light came on and immediately the engine made a rattling sound and stalled out in the middle of the highway. I had to have the car towed to Glen Mills, NY for $215!!! The SAAB service/dealer there said it was a blown engine and would cost at least $5800 to replace! I ended up selling the car to my home mechanic for $1000 and he'll probably part it out. Then I found out today about this extended coverage through SAAB, I'm going to put in a claim. I've had the regular service done since I bought the car at 42,000 miles. I don't think I'll be able to provide proof that the previous owner did the service, though. It doesn't look like too many people have had their claims honored by SAAB. I'll let the forum know what happens, but if there is a class action suit, I may be joining in!
Tyler S

Vero Beach, FL

#17 Aug 7, 2007
I own a 99 Saab 9 5. About 8 months ago I was driving and came to a red light. When the light turned green I pressed on the gas pedal and the car shut off. I got it towed to the garage and I found out that the serpentine belt was shredded and wrapped around the engine. This is a 4 cylinder with 134000 miles. This was the second time that this has happened. I've had the idler pulley changed and 2 new belts. If anyone knows what could be causing this please respond.
rob

Gilbertsville, PA

#19 Aug 9, 2007
I have a 2000 saab 9-5.......engine failed at 87000 miles......after review w/saab they will not cover it because of age of car and milage...i thought the extended warrenty was for 8yrs........we are well in the limit....not sure what to do at this time....any help would be great......rob
lt dan

Cleveland, OH

#20 Aug 10, 2007
Chris wrote:
I have a saab 9-5 2001. My engine started to work weird lately so I took it to the dealer . What they told me is that it most probably is an oil sludge and in order to check it out for me at no cost they would have to see the proof that the oil was regularly changed at least once every 10k miles. I bought the car when it had 42K miles and since then I changed the oil every 3k miles. Now it has 51K. When I looked in history of the car I found out that the first stated oil change was after 25 thousand miles at the dealer. Now I have the problem cause they want the proof that I cant get since I'm the second owner.
So have the previous owner FIND some receipts if you know what I mean.
Kathy

Saint Albans, VT

#21 Aug 13, 2007
rob wrote:
I have a 2000 saab 9-5.......engine failed at 87000 miles......after review w/saab they will not cover it because of age of car and milage...i thought the extended warrenty was for 8yrs........we are well in the limit....not sure what to do at this time....any help would be great......rob
Rob, I have the original letter. It states 8 years and unlimited mileage!
Kathy

Saint Albans, VT

#22 Aug 13, 2007
SAAB took about 10 days to look over my car and my oil change receipts and paperwork, but they agreed to replace my engine!!(Read my post from July 29th). I think it helped that I brought the original letter with me to the dealership that stated the extended warranty. Until I showed them the letter, they all played dumb like they'd never heard of SAAB extending the warranty! If anyone needs a copy of this letter, I'd be happy to scan mine and email it to whoever needs a copy - just email me at curlysue@comcast.net

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 8
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Saab Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
SAAB intermittent no-start problem 900 & 9.5 (May '10) Oct 4 Cathy 56
2002 saab 9.3 Jul '14 Cliff 2
9-3 will not shift out of park (Apr '09) May '14 hds 3
engine check light 1998 2.2 tid se (Apr '12) May '14 JennyK 2
2000 saab 9-3 sometimes doesnt want to start. (Sep '07) Mar '14 David 126
Airbag malfunction light on my 20003 (Feb '14) Feb '14 Noel Kelly 1
immobilizer (Nov '13) Nov '13 Tom from Prague 1

Saab People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE