GM's First Quarter 2006 Sales Grow 4....

GM's First Quarter 2006 Sales Grow 4.4 Percent

There are 4 comments on the Theautochannel.com story from Apr 19, 2006, titled GM's First Quarter 2006 Sales Grow 4.4 Percent. In it, Theautochannel.com reports that:

DETROIT April 19, 2006; Strong sales performance in GM's Asia Pacific and Latin America regions during the first three months of 2006 helped General Motors sell more than 2.2 million vehicles globally, a 4.4 ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Theautochannel.com.

George

Point Roberts, WA

#1 Apr 25, 2006
Recently while driving my 2001 Saab, I suddenly started smelling gasoline. The fuel gauge started dropping. I barely made it to my mechanic’s shop. When we next started the car we saw gasoline pouring down from the top of the tank, splashing close to the exhaust system. The car was a traveling Molitov Cocktail waiting to happen and I was very lucky the car didn’t catch on fire....
The fuel tank was pulled and we saw that the plastic retaining tab holding the fuel lines into the tank was broken. The shop owner called Carter Saab, in Seattle, to order the part. He asked them if there had been any type of service notice on this issue because it seemed a highly unusual and obviously dangerous, thing to happen. Carter told him there was not. My mechanic called Saab and they were very interested in hearing our car had the problem. But they didn't tell him WHY they were so interested....
I didn’t believe that a design so cheap wouldn't have had reported problems so did an internet search. I easily found Safety Notice 15018 describing exactly what my problem was. I called Saab and told them, and they told me yes, it was a recall issue and they would pay my repair ($263).
However, to my surprise I was told a week later that no, they would not pay for the repair. Saab says that because my VIN is not part of their recall, I don’t have a problem. The people who I talked to at Saab know goddam well how idiotic that position is; one woman was almost in tears over it. The US government’s NHSTA has an open file on it because they’ve discovered 6 more cars with the problem that have VINs that Saab didn’t believe had the problem. Now they have 7 because I turned mine into them. So it is amazingly stupid that GM is trying to pretend it isn’t happening.
I now understand why General Motors is going under. I would NEVER buy another one of their products. To me, the issue is not the $263 I spent that they won’t cover. The issue is that the 9-3 Saab has a serious and dangerous possible safety issue, and they won’t stand behind it.
I think every Saab on the road with that cheap (the plastic part costs under $5 retail at the dealer) fuel system attachment design should be pulled off the road and inspected. I’m sure there have been car fires and likely even deaths as a result of it.
My car is a Model: 9-3, Year: 2001, VIN: YS3DD58H912001823,
Fellow Saab Owner

Ambler, PA

#2 May 17, 2006
I dunno why they would tell you it's not under warrenty - it's clearly stated on your IRIS report that it should be done - but has NOT been done to this day. Also your IDM needs to go in for the recall check. That also has not been done. Looks like you are an upset customer who doesn't take care of their car - unless you truely are UNDER 40,000 miles still. I suggest you find a new Dealership to deal with because all of that was nonsense you really should not have had to deal with at all. I do agree with you about the recall and safety - but GM is not trying to cover anything up. Call Saab yourself and express your concerns calmly and they would be more then happy to correct the wrongful means which you endured.
Kenny - Saab Technician

Lacey Spring, VA

#3 Jun 24, 2006
I think that you are right about the problem should have been addressed to cover your car when you had the failure. However, the 15018 recall you spoke of only included 2002 VINs at the time you probably had your failure. All Saab dealers have IRIS, an intranet for Saab which is used to check every vehicle in it for open recalls. The 2001 VIN's were included in the 15018 very soon after the end of April. The recall for 2002 had been in force well over a year already, so most dealers are familiar with the fuel leak problem.
I'm concerned about the repair that was done as well. 263 dollars won't cover the replacement fuel pump parts alone. If they repaired the plastic piece it was done by taking apart a new fuel pump and basically getting you going in a less costly way - saving you money. That part isn't sold separately and you have to remove a wax seal to take it apart. The recall is to reinforce the pump by removing the screw which retains the plastic piece and installs a metal brace which makes leaks nearly impossible.
Boss429_zcode

Brentwood, TN

#4 Sep 10, 2006
Kenny - Saab Technician wrote:
I think that you are right about the problem should have been addressed to cover your car when you had the failure. However, the 15018 recall you spoke of only included 2002 VINs at the time you probably had your failure. All Saab dealers have IRIS, an intranet for Saab which is used to check every vehicle in it for open recalls. The 2001 VIN's were included in the 15018 very soon after the end of April. The recall for 2002 had been in force well over a year already, so most dealers are familiar with the fuel leak problem.
I'm concerned about the repair that was done as well. 263 dollars won't cover the replacement fuel pump parts alone. If they repaired the plastic piece it was done by taking apart a new fuel pump and basically getting you going in a less costly way - saving you money. That part isn't sold separately and you have to remove a wax seal to take it apart. The recall is to reinforce the pump by removing the screw which retains the plastic piece and installs a metal brace which makes leaks nearly impossible.
Kenny, where do you work in WInchester? I am looking to have a clutch put in my '95 900se. I was curious as to how much this might cost and who might be able to do it in Winchester. please contact me at boss429_zcode@yahoo.com

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Saab 9-5 Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Will Buick Add Diesels To Its Lineup Too--And W... (Oct '13) Oct '13 SHYKORA PAUL arts 1
News Saab Sale to National Electric Vehicle Sweden P... (Aug '12) Aug '12 Ryan Bigra 1
News Chinese EV Company Buys Saab's Carcass, Hopes T... (Jun '12) Aug '12 Turbo Freak 3
News 2011 Saab 9-3 and 9-5 Sedans for Half Price, bu... (Jan '12) May '12 Brian G 4
News Thread of the Day: Would You Buy a Saab? (Feb '12) May '12 VFerr 9
News SAAB might crush 100 cars (Jan '12) Jan '12 Chriscam84 3
News Always Look on the Bright Side of Life: What Sa... (Dec '11) Dec '11 1983 Nine Hundred 1
More from around the web