starter motor removal

Since: Feb 10

Poole, UK

#1 Feb 21, 2010
Hi Folks

I've a RR Shadow MkII from '79 and the poor old lass (known to all of my friends and me as Gladys) isn't up for going anywhere at present.

After investigation I've discovered that I'm going to either restore the old starter and solenoid or replace. However... How the heck do you get 'em out? My strong suspicion is that I'll be having a fun day removing bits of exhaust... Is that the case? If so, can anyone recommend a relatively pain-free technique to do this please?

Thanks to all!

Stuart
Rupert

Blackburn, UK

#3 Apr 21, 2010
With my shadow 1 all it took was a lot of wobblers and extensions to get to the top set screw - that's the tricky one. shadow 2 has 2 exhausts though. but yes, you have to get plenty of extensions from memory it's AF 9/16 or 1/2 that top one. screws in from behind, so you don't notice it when looking at the starter. tip : don't take it right the way out it's almost impossible to get back in without the front subframe out of the car, which is the way they put it in ! Tip 2 - doing it up takes an hour or so as well, and plenty of blue language, because the universal joint on your 1/4 inch , from memory, was all that fitted, socket set will be at its limit and not let you go round more than a few degrees. that is if it's the sam as on the shadow 1 and i think it was.

Since: Feb 10

Chelmsford, UK

#4 Sep 7, 2010
Hi Rupert,

Many thanks for the tips and fantastically the starter motor works now! How great is that?

I've a few other problems with it that maybe you could advise on too.

The brake and hydraulic system all over the shop. There's obviously problems with the accumulators. I've got the gaskets and the diaphragms [sic?] but haven't as yet got to replacing. sadly my shadow 2 doesn't have the lovely green balls so I'll be faffing about with the other ones. Two questions though...

Do I need a special tool to remove them?(I do know about the depressurising needed to do before attempting removal). The most important thing though is is there anywhere or any way of recharging with the nitrogen after replacement without spending hundreds on buying the heavy duty pro thingy? It seems very difficult in the wilds of Cumbria to find anyone who's prepared to even talk about nitrogen. Obviously, there's lots of safety issues surrounding dealing with this so if you've been there, done that, your advice would be great.

And one last thing (hope you're in a comfy chair)

The old faithful starting problems on cars of a certain age that have been neglected by previous owners. Sometimes I've got to practically bounce up and down on the bonnet to get it going. Sometimes you give up and use the other car only to come back to it and it starts first time! Grrrr!

Regards,
Stuart
mel g

Skelmersdale, UK

#6 Dec 31, 2011
just baught a shadow 1,the starting of the car is very noisy and embarasing,this has been checked and the starter ring gear has been diagnosed as the problem as there are few teeth damaged/missing.the workshop manual does state the torque converter and flexi plate bolts should be removed,for gearbox removal.my questions are 1 what is the best way to turn the coverter to remove the bolts without damage?2 can the whole unit be removed without diassembly i.e gearbox,torque converter,flexi plate and ring gear? many thanks from a person on a steep learning curve

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Rolls-Royce Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
nvex Dec 31 Gary keffer 1
shadow one single points Dec 29 baldies uk 1
Rolls Royce silver shadow ll transmission will ... (Apr '14) Dec 28 RR fan 28
Shadow One single points distibutor Dec '16 baldies uk 1
1973 silver shadow 1 (Jan '13) Dec '16 baldies uk 11
71 shadow one Dec '16 baldies uk 1
Shadow Mirror Removal Dec '16 Bobby G 1
More from around the web