1976 rolls royce silver shadow

1976 rolls royce silver shadow

Posted in the Rolls-Royce Forum

Jake

Norristown, PA

#1 Nov 9, 2010
Have a 1976 silver shadow that won't start. Drove it to work and when i went to go home it would not start. It's not getting any spark. Is there a relay or maybe ignition control module that usually goes out. Any help or suggestion would help.Thanks
Jan Forrest

Rotherham, UK

#2 Nov 10, 2010
I also have a '76 model and the ignition is a 'contactless' one that employs a simple module mounted (on RHD models) on the driver's side of the firewall/bulkhead inside the engine compartment. It works along with a Hall Effect sensor/transducer mounted inside the distributor where the contacts are normally situated. As they're so simple they rarely go wrong, but anything's possible after 34 years! Improved replacements are available for under 100 ($160) in the USA -+ international shipping - which is less than the cost of a genuine OEM unit.
However I would first check the simpler possibilities:
Low tension leads at the coil
High tension 'king' lead at the coil and distributor
Condition of the rotor arm and distributor cap
Water/condensation inside the cap
Faulty, worn or broken centre contact inside the cap.
If none of that works have a look, or even download in PDF format, the workshop manual from here: http://rrtechnical.info/sy/04_sy .
Kenny

Roseland, NJ

#3 Nov 10, 2010
Jake,
Are you getting juice to the primary side of the coil with the key and in the ON position? if not, check your fuses under the steering wheel. I once worked on a cloud that fried its ammeter and that created an open to the coil primary. If there is no power at the primary terminal, run a wire back to the + terminal on the battery and try again.
If there is primary power, check:
1) the coil itself (a rolls owener always keeps a coil in the spares kit.)
2) one of the two points has collapsed and shorted.
I am assume, of course, that you have stock points-based ignition. Of couse, also check all of the leads to the coil, then to the distributor for an open or a short. I once had a loose spade terminal on SRX-6895 that would cause the engine to shut down when the car hit a bump. A little crimping with a plier solved the problem.
Again, the secret here is to trace electricity to and from the coil primary. Make sure that you have the proper fuse wire handy if you have to re-wind the ignition fuse.
Hope this helps.
Ken K
Kenny

Roseland, NJ

#4 Nov 10, 2010
TW, as a follow-up, remember, that a Shadow's engine is just an engine and all of the usual rules apply: fuel, spark, compression. The odd stuff that makes it a Rolls Royce engine come into play after its basic needs are met.

KK
no spark on 75 shadow 1

UK

#5 Oct 18, 2011
turn key fires up then dies ,check king lead no spark, leave for 5 mins turn over engine and it sparks but slowly dies to no spark ,again some mins later ,turn over engine same thing happen ,,help ,malc
no spark on 75 shadow 1

UK

#6 Oct 18, 2011
Kenny wrote:
TW, as a follow-up, remember, that a Shadow's engine is just an engine and all of the usual rules apply: fuel, spark, compression. The odd stuff that makes it a Rolls Royce engine come into play after its basic needs are met.
KK
no ideas on problem ,how do you test an ign module ,have now taken it off ,its black 5 ins long ,3ins wide ,3/4 in thick,3 terms ,each end , thanks

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Rolls-Royce Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Silver Wraith II constant high idle Wed Michael 6
Bentley 8 lpg up-date Jul 23 Jan Forrest 4
News Spy shots spot the convertible Rolls-Royce Dawn... Jul 22 Phillip123 2
silver shadow (May '12) Jul 12 Michael 26
Transmision fluid for a Silver Spirit. Jul 9 Jan Forrest 2
New battery.... Jul 7 Jan Forrest 2
fuel leaking (Jul '11) Jul 5 Jan Forrest 9
More from around the web