faulty ignition
eminthere

Epsom, UK

#1 Apr 4, 2012
Hi all, I have a problem with my 1980 shadow11 when I turn on my ignition it is dead, I can cross the wires from the right hand side of the board to the ignition fuse which gives me ignition .This is intermittent and I was wondering if it is some sort of unit as I have checked for loose or disconnected wiring,HELP!!!!!
Jan Forrest

Bradford, UK

#2 Apr 5, 2012
This is a fairly common problem if you and/or a previous owner has had a large heavy set of keys hanging from the ignition key. It wears the inside of the lock barrel such that the contacts inside don't ... contact that is. In practice this isn't a simple DIY fix as the whole ignition lock and barrel have to be removed and overhauled by any locksmith who deals in Yale type locks.

While the assembly is being repaired you can take the opportunity to examine the rotary switch contact set for wear/damage and decide whether to have it refurbished or replaced. Both new and used replacements should be available from most of the major players
Flying Spares
Roberts Hall
Introcar
or any Rolls/Bentley breaker.
eminthere

Thornton Heath, UK

#3 Apr 5, 2012
thanks for that advice,I removed the ignition barrel and found that the cvopper bar from the live feed to the ignition had a break under the the sheathing.I replace this bar with the approprite wiring and hey presto repair complete.
Jan Forrest wrote:
This is a fairly common problem if you and/or a previous owner has had a large heavy set of keys hanging from the ignition key. It wears the inside of the lock barrel such that the contacts inside don't ... contact that is. In practice this isn't a simple DIY fix as the whole ignition lock and barrel have to be removed and overhauled by any locksmith who deals in Yale type locks.
While the assembly is being repaired you can take the opportunity to examine the rotary switch contact set for wear/damage and decide whether to have it refurbished or replaced. Both new and used replacements should be available from most of the major players
Flying Spares
Roberts Hall
Introcar
or any Rolls/Bentley breaker.
eminthere

Thornton Heath, UK

#4 Apr 5, 2012
HI, thanks for the advice on faulty ignition, I removed the barrel and found that the copper bar from the battery feed to the igniton had spapped under the sheathing, i replaced this bar with heavy wiring and hay presto job done. Thanks again.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Rolls-Royce Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Silver Wraith II constant high idle Jul 29 Michael 6
Bentley 8 lpg up-date Jul 23 Jan Forrest 4
News Spy shots spot the convertible Rolls-Royce Dawn... Jul 22 Phillip123 2
silver shadow (May '12) Jul 12 Michael 26
Transmision fluid for a Silver Spirit. Jul 9 Jan Forrest 2
New battery.... Jul 7 Jan Forrest 2
fuel leaking (Jul '11) Jul 5 Jan Forrest 9
More from around the web