Proper way to tow a Silver Cloud

Proper way to tow a Silver Cloud

Posted in the Rolls-Royce Forum

George Monnig

United States

#1 Nov 13, 2010
I need to tow my 1957 RR Cloud 1, anyone know?
Jan Forrest

Rotherham, UK

#2 Nov 14, 2010
How far are you needing to tow it? and what options are open to you?
If you don't have access to a car transporter or trailer then the best way would be to disconnect the prop shaft at the gearbox (after marking it up so it can be replaced in the same alignment) and then suspending it securely to the chassis. Although you can then tow it with a rigid bar (tow ropes are prone to breaking under that kind of load and so are now illegal in the UK) it's always better to use either a suspended tow or have a dolly under the front wheels.
If you have no other choice you can leave the prop shaft attached and just tow it with a rope/cable and a second driver inside the Cloud, but you must not exceed 50mph at any time and 30 miles total distance, without letting the gearbox and differential cool down for a couple of hours.
Other that it's just a matter of bearing in mind that it's a heavy car and the brakes will not have any power assistance unless the engine is running, so deceleration will have to thought out well in advance.
Kenny

Roseland, NJ

#3 Nov 16, 2010
Actually, Jan, on a Cloud the brakes WILL have power assistance as the power comes from the PTO disc (the servo) on the tail of the transmission. So, if the propeller shaft is still attached and the rear wheels are turning, the servo is spinning and there is power.

If it is a flatbed, DO NOT allow the rear axle to be chained or strapped down. There is a brake line that travels along top of the rear axle housing that can be crushed if a restraint is wrapped around it.

The only proper way to secure any PMC to a flatbed is with wheel baskets (or straps) secured over the wheel and then to the flatbeds mount points. There are no viable hard points on the car for chaims and severe damage can ensue.

If the car cannot get onto the flatbed under its own power, be very wary of where you attach the pull cable! you can rip something out of the car with too much tension.

If i had my druthers, for a short trip, i would use one of those tow trucks that lifts from under the front wheels. For longer trips, as Jan rightly says, i would diconnect the propeller shaft from the rear end. The truck will do all of the braking.
Kenny

Roseland, NJ

#4 Nov 16, 2010
And, why does this thing think that i am in Cumming Georgia? I am in the NYC area.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Rolls-Royce Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News 5 most expensive cars in America Jan 31 exodice 2
Restoring a neglected 73 Silver Shadow Jan 31 firehog 4
car seat covers for 1982 Silver Spur, in Los An... Jan 23 Sammy 1
What is this? And what it's worth! Jan '16 Jan Forrest 2
rolls royce silver shadow (Feb '07) Jan '16 hudder 68
Poll should Rolls Royce make electric Jet engines be... Dec '15 langham science d... 12
suspension on 2001 Silver Seraph (Jul '14) Dec '15 zz-dot-com 5
More from around the web