What Would You Buy? 2009 Carrera S Or...

What Would You Buy? 2009 Carrera S Or BMW M3?

There are 28 comments on the AutoSpies story from Jul 23, 2008, titled What Would You Buy? 2009 Carrera S Or BMW M3?. In it, AutoSpies reports that:

Tag Links: 2009 Porsche Carrera S , 2008 BMW M3 What Would You Buy? 2009 Carrera S Or BMW M3? Now that the 2009 Porsche 911 Carrera S has upped the ante with a 385HP engine, awesome PDK tranny, bluetooth and ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at AutoSpies.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Aaron

Fort Huachuca, AZ

#1 Jul 24, 2008
I just love the ///M, I'd have to vote for that.
NYM

Brooklyn, NY

#2 Jul 25, 2008
Porsches can beat cars with almost 2x more power. Things like the M3, M5 and M6 have plenty of power but they can't put the power down. Top Gear took a V10 M6 and a 911 and the 911 had a quicker lap time. so the porsche wins. If it beats an M6, it can beat an M3. Only good M3 is the CSL.
Bake

Renton, WA

#3 Aug 4, 2008
Having owned BMW and Porsche I would lean towards the 911. When you sit in a 911 you feel you are a part of the car. When you sit in the M3 you feel like you are in something special but still just along for the ride.
shawn

Los Angeles, CA

#4 Nov 24, 2008
I have a 2008 M3, also have a history with M cars (05 M3 SMG-older, 07 M5 SMG, 08 M6 SMG). I have very little history except a few test drives with Porsche. The M3 is FASTER than you would think, and always seems to have more for you. Handling is superb and the ride can be as gentle or rough as you would like to set it. Mine is a 6-manual tranny.

However, I test drove a 2009 911-S with PDK. I'm sold. I really want to get that, and am unfortunately 6 months in a 30 month lease on the M. I honestly don't know if the 911-S is faster than the //M since I test drove 2 of them with the salesman in the car, but I don't care. I love the feel of the P-car, it seems so natural, the car I was always destined to have. Yeah, it was that awesome. The BMW is great, and about $20k cheaper than the 2009 911-S, but if you want that true feel that I don't even have words to describe, the P-car is worth $90k+. Couldn't agree more with "Bake" on his comment.
Steven

Waltham, MA

#5 Dec 7, 2008
Porsche- There is no substitute. Porche has been making sports cars for almost a century, BMW hasn't.
Roland Renno

Lebanon

#6 Dec 7, 2008
Before you throw comments, just take a look at which company has won the most awards in building the best engines worldwide. After then, you can answer yourself.
http://www.ukipme.com/engineoftheyear/categor...

As for you Steven, sorry but allow me to say you're ignorant. When BMW began building engines, Porsche wasn't even founded.
Josh

Buzzards Bay, MA

#7 Jan 21, 2009
Roland, we're discussing all around, sure BMW has a wonderful engine, but the Carrera tops all BMWs in the sense of luxury, fuel economy, 0-60 times, etc. For example, the Carrera S, 4.5 second 0-60, BMW M6, 0-60 4.5 seconds, flat 6 vs V10. It was proven that the Carrera S can get 31 MPG on the highway, whereas the M6 is lucky to get 19-22 on the highway. In town, forget it. BMW's are too heavy, and are overpriced. Carrera's have timeless beauty, whereas BMW have always been ugly up until the E90 models, and the E92. It's like comparing apples and oranges. The M3 in this case, is a nice looking car, but not as practical. A Cayenne which would probally get the same gas mileage is more practical. Just my two cents.
sergio

Lexington, KY

#8 Jan 29, 2009
M-Power of course...
Domenic

Toronto, Canada

#9 Jan 29, 2009
Practical? I think you can seat 2 grown ups in the back of an M3, can you do that with the Porsche? As far as "all around" is concerned Porsche is at least 5-7 years behind BMW in Technology and that is a fact! Look around you next time you're driving, BMW's out number Porsches by a wide margin...tell you something? Well worth the money and better bang for the buck>
M POWER ALL THE WAY
shawn

Irvine, CA

#10 Feb 4, 2009
look at my earlier comment a few posts above.... I have since traded my 08 M3 for a 2009 911 C4S w/ PDK. Worth every penny and wouldn't look back. Different class of car, sorry.
BJ Tormon

Englewood, CO

#11 Feb 5, 2009
Domenic wrote:
Practical? I think you can seat 2 grown ups in the back of an M3, can you do that with the Porsche? As far as "all around" is concerned Porsche is at least 5-7 years behind BMW in Technology and that is a fact! Look around you next time you're driving, BMW's out number Porsches by a wide margin...tell you something? Well worth the money and better bang for the buck>
M POWER ALL THE WAY
? Like Shawn for example, there are many people that have gone from a BMW to a Porsche and have never looked back. The Porsche is on a whole new level.
Technology? Are you kidding. Have you read about the new Porsches??? PDK, PASM (which is probably one of the best performance AND comfort features),DFI, etc.

Porsches are beautifully engineered. The new 2010 GT3 is a V6 with 435hp! IN A 3.8L engine! It has a new Front Axle Lift System. You can raise the front axle 30 mm and can be used at speeds up to 31mph.

Did you read about the aerodynamic features on the GT3 for example? A functional spoiler..etc..

And to your other statement. The number of BMWs on the road compared to Porsches is another reason to get a Porsche...exclusivity. BMWs are a dime a dozen.

I love the new M3, don't get me wrong...but I myself would rather have a Cayman S.
Steverino

Woodstock, GA

#12 Feb 26, 2009
Traded my 06 Cayman S manual, which I loved, on an 09 Carrera S with PDK. At first I missed my Cayman but after a couple of weeks I'm not looking back. This car is phenominal.
AJAX

Pittsboro, NC

#13 May 21, 2009
Part 1

I read this post a few times while I was eyeing the M3, and when I went to the dealership to walk the lot on a Sunday I noticed that the Porsche Dealer (all in the same automall) has a 2008 Carrera S marked down from 92 to 72. Getting pretty close to the M3, right?
When I went to the dealership on Monday, I just had to test drive both. Although 7 or 8 grand isn't insignificant (and thats assuming I could deal the same amount off MSRP on the Porsche as I could on the M#- highly unlikely given the enormous markdown on the 911) but I thought that if there is that much of a difference, f'it, I'll spring for the 911. I couldn't have been more amazed at the difference between the 2.
When the salesman started the Porsche, I got all tingly. Why even put an audio system in a car like that? The ride was impressive as well. As I had read, I could really feel the a$$ end of the 911 pushing it through the turns, and the sound the engine made as it approached redline was simply glorious. The ride was incredibly tight, and of course the centerpiece of the dash, the giant tach, is the way a sports car should be. I was pretty sold.
AJAX

Pittsboro, NC

#14 May 21, 2009
Part 2

I figured I would drive the M3, since thats really the car that I originally came to drive. It sounded pretty cool when it started, that tight, high revving v-8 hinting at its power, but not growling like the 911. We waited a few minutes, for the engine to warm up and the redline to increase from its cold 6500 rpm to its stated 8500. Then we hit the street. I punched it right off the light, with the throttle bodies set to their fully open mode, and when my ear told me it was time to shift, I looked down at the tach to see I had another 2000 rpm left on the tach!. I put my foot back on the gas and was thrown back into the seat in a way that I've not felt except on a motorcycle. This car was equipped with the dealer installed aftermarket performance steering wheel with the tach indicators, 1/4 mile time measurements, lap times, and a g-meter. I powered that thing on, adjusted the tach indicator redline to 8000 rpm, and headed towards a winding road near the dealership. With the car already set to its most stiff suspension setting, I hit the turn as hard as I was comfortable in a car I'd only driven for 2 or 3 minutes. 0.80 lateral g's through the turn! Coming out of the turn I kept my eyes on the road and pegged the throttle until I could see the tach indicators on the steering wheel flash in my peripheral vision. Shift into third quickly, ease off the gas, shift into fourth, and start hitting the curves at a comfy 75. This car was more sure footed than the Porsche ever could have been. Sure, its kind of idiot proof, a corner taken too fast is received by a flashing light on the dash telling you that the car has taken the appropriate adjustments, so continue to mash the throttle and have fun. The motor more exhilarating. When we got back onto the main roads to head back t the dealership, I dialed the suspension back into comfort mode, dialed down the throttle bodies on the engine, and was crusing along in a something between a regular 3 series and the road racer I had just taken through the twisties.
The only thing the Porsche had on the M3 was its exhaust note, and the sex appeal. The technology of the M3 was far beyond that of the 911. It could do everything the 911 could do, do it better, and turn into a civilized daily driver if you wanted that too. The BMW Performance Steering Wheel is a little pricey, but what an awesome way to keep your eyes on the road while meticulously maximizing shifts, and the g-meter kind of makes it like driving in a video game, only in real life.
All of this isn't to say that I don't think the 911 isn't an awesome ride. nd perhaps it is really more of a purists driving experience. I do think it is. But with the money I saved from buying a 911 S (assuming I was going to buy one which was not so aggressively marke down) I can have my awesome M3, and a 930 turbo from the mid 80's, which is in my opinion the best 911 body style of all time. And that car I know will be a true classic Porsche experience.
AJAX2

Pittsboro, NC

#15 May 21, 2009
I figured I would drive the M3, since thats really the car that I originally came to drive. It sounded pretty cool when it started, that tight, high revving v-8 hinting at its power, but not growling like the 911. We waited a few minutes, for the engine to warm up and the redline to increase from its cold 6500 rpm to its stated 8500. Then we hit the street. I punched it right off the light, with the throttle bodies set to their fully open mode, and when my ear told me it was time to shift, I looked down at the tach to see I had another 2000 rpm left on the tach!. I put my foot back on the gas and was thrown back into the seat in a way that I've not felt except on a motorcycle. This car was equipped with the dealer installed aftermarket performance steering wheel with the tach indicators, 1/4 mile time measurements, lap times, and a g-meter. I powered that thing on, adjusted the tach indicator redline to 8000 rpm, and headed towards a winding road near the dealership. With the car already set to its most stiff suspension setting, I hit the turn as hard as I was comfortable in a car I'd only driven for 2 or 3 minutes. 0.80 lateral g's through the turn! Coming out of the turn I kept my eyes on the road and pegged the throttle until I could see the tach indicators on the steering wheel flash in my peripheral vision. Shift into third quickly, ease off the gas, shift into fourth, and start hitting the curves at a comfy 75. This car was more sure footed than the Porsche ever could have been. Sure, its kind of idiot proof, a corner taken too fast is received by a flashing light on the dash telling you that the car has taken the appropriate adjustments, so continue to mash the throttle and have fun. The motor more exhilarating. When we got back onto the main roads to head back t the dealership, I dialed the suspension back into comfort mode, dialed down the throttle bodies on the engine, and was crusing along in a something between a regular 3 series and the road racer I had just taken through the twisties.
The only thing the Porsche had on the M3 was its exhaust note, and the sex appeal. The technology of the M3 was far beyond that of the 911. It could do everything the 911 could do, do it better, and turn into a civilized daily driver if you wanted that too. The BMW Performance Steering Wheel is a little pricey, but what an awesome way to keep your eyes on the road while meticulously maximizing shifts, and the g-meter kind of makes it like driving in a video game, only in real life.
All of this isn't to say that I don't think the 911 isn't an awesome ride. nd perhaps it is really more of a purists driving experience. I do think it is. But with the money I saved from buying a 911 S (assuming I was going to buy one which was not so aggressively marke down) I can have my awesome M3, and a 930 turbo from the mid 80's, which is in my opinion the best 911 body style of all time. And that car I know will be a true classic Porsche experience.
Jonathan N

Port Saint Lucie, FL

#17 May 31, 2009
I get exactly what you are saying. I also had the opportunity to own two BMW'S. A Z3 and 740IL, and I really loved them. They are wonderful cars but my dream was always to have a Porsche, when I finally bought my Boxster I couldnt believe what I had been missing. The Boxster was superior to the Z3 in every aspect. The fun factor far better, great handling, better looks and the engine sound just unbeatable. You feel at a different level when driving a Porsche. Then I got my Carrera and there are not words to express what this car is like.
Whoever says that BMW sucks is far from right, but Porsche is definitely a better car in every way.
jim cooper

Baltimore, MD

#18 Sep 15, 2009
BMW is a great car! I had a 528i Sedan and it was a fine car. I now own a tip tronic 2007 Carrera S. Fantastic car! Both are great brands but the Porsche is just a different animal. The tiptronic I was skeptical of but its just great! Downshifts and upshits just fine once you get the feel of it. I do not race it, just drive it, often on trips. Always wanted a Porsche and its in a class by itself. Don't knock the automatic till you have driven it some. I would think a professional driver would much prefer the Porsche. I am not in that class and I don't think most Porsche owners are.
Babken

Armenia

#19 Sep 24, 2009
BMW and Porsche are in different segments. It isn't BMW's purpose to make very expensive cars like Porsche the number of which is limited. Instead BMW is putting emphasis on mass production as it benefits much more yield. That's why today BMW is the most sustainable automobile manufacturer in the world unlike Porsche which is standing at threshold of bankruptcy. And BMW's automobiles are the best buying choice as they have the greatest engines in the world, a perfect-balanced chassis and optimum comfort not mentioning the richest technology. I'm pretty confident if BMW have a goal to make supercars they will make them much better than Porsche, Ferrari or Nissan. But economically that's not a profitable idea.
By the way, I own a 1997 BMW 523i and I wouldn't change my car for any Porsche.
OddJob

San Antonio, TX

#20 Oct 4, 2009
I went through this very process recently. Both cars are excellent and special. Those that say the M3 is just a mass produced car don't know much about ///M.~80% of the M3 is custom designed and made by that Division. The S65 V8 is largely hand-built, by one mechanic - much as I saw one guy building a 911 Turbo engine in Zuffenhausen.

The poster who said BMWs are too expensive does not know that Porsche is the most profitable car maker - on a margin basis - period. In fact, on the Cayenne (which is really bought from VW barring drivetrain, wheels ..) they make at least 100% EBIT margins.

That does not mean a 911 is not worth it, just understand that it has a lot of profit embedded in that ~100k.

As to which is quicker. Depends on the track / tranny. Just go to fastestlaps.com and compare. These cars are pretty close w/ the 911 CS 2 having the edge. On a $/ performance the M3 gets the nod.

Steering: the P-car is more communicative.

Ride: I'll take the ///M + EDC.

The 997 is more obvious, ie, if you want to get noticed, it will have that effect. The M3 only gets noticed by those in the know.

Rarity. Depends where you live. In Munich this year I saw waaay more 997s than the M3. In fact, driving 2 weeks in Europe I saw just 1 M3, an E90 4-dr. In that time I saw 8 Ferraris, 2 Lambos, 2 Astons and many 911s, just 1 R8. In SoCal I'd expect to see a few more M3s.

Practicality: no contest. And this swayed me most recently. I found the M3 more comfortable and I needed occasionally more rear room.

Both cars are great, great, sports cars. Pick up a copy of CAR mag and go to Good, Bad and Ugly: both get FIVE stars and are Best in Class. This last is a bit of a hint, they are not direct comps. I view the ///M3 as a very fast GT that can go very quickly on a track. The 911 is in the mold its always been: sports car.

I'm glad I will own both in my life. They are both worth owning.
911carreraS2

San Antonio, TX

#21 Oct 4, 2009
No one has mentioned that BMW's S65 V8 is International Engine of the Year in 2008, and 2009, in the 3 - 4.0L category.
Which engine did it supercede: the 3,6L boxer 6 in the 2007 997.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Porsche 911 Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
911 Conrod??? Mar '15 Becky_11 1
News Hot cars at the Detroit auto show (Jan '15) Jan '15 duhAMATURE 1
News This Is What A Modern Porsche 928 Could Look Like (Apr '14) Nov '14 951 lives 2
News Recall Alert: 2014-2015 Porsche 911, Boxster, C... (Nov '14) Nov '14 Isaiah Porsche 1
News 1999 Porsche Boxster$14,995Streetside Classics ... (Nov '14) Nov '14 Isaiah Porsche 1
News Video: First Clip Of The All-New 2015 Porsche 9... (Oct '14) Oct '14 Isaiah Porsche 1
News Mercedes-Amg GT S will take on Porsche, Jaguar (Oct '14) Oct '14 Isaiah Porsche 1
More from around the web