Transmission issues or rough shift

Posted in the Pontiac Montana Forum

First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Since: Jul 08

North Delta, BC

#1 Jul 9, 2008
Hi there, I have a 2007 Pontiac Montana SV6, that when going uphill under mild acceleration (between 1500 and 2000 RPM) will start jerking like the transmission is slipping. It is not just one jerk, but multiples, rough enough that you feel like you could get whip lash.

Dealer wouldn't believe me at first, until I had the shop foreman in the car with me, and he didn't think we would make it back to the dealership. Had it for 2 days, couldn't recreate the problem, claimed it was a "software upgrade that didn't take" and that it was fixed now. Next day, happened again, but they still can't seem to diagnose the problem.

Anyone have a similar issue, heard of it, or have any idea what could be the cause?
Jo Ann

Maryville, TN

#2 Aug 13, 2008
I had the same problem with my 2003 pontiac montana. It has been at Mr. Transmission shop numerous times. I think they finally figured it out.
The are teeth in the differential. They spin when the car is on. When the transmission gets hot, the part that holds the teeth gets loose and doesn't spin correctly with shifting. When engine is cool, it does not do it. The part with the issue is manufactured at the plant and is not supposed to be taken apart. Mr. Transmission did, put some glue in it and now it is fine. Try it.
Pete99

Grande Prairie, Canada

#3 Sep 10, 2008
I have a 07 Montana and it is shifting funny on start-up. I have had some problems with a cluster that handles everything from signal lights to radio, so maybe has something to do with transmission??
Todd New York

Penn Yan, NY

#4 Nov 20, 2008
Having similar problems with 2005 Montana, when the engine/tranny are warm it shifts very harshly. Gear selector indicator light is also not working, was working sporatically and flashing the past few weeks. This may be related to the problem ?
Kootenays

Victoria, Canada

#5 Apr 13, 2010
I'm having the same issue, I own a 2008 Montana and noticed it over the Easter weekend. The dealership advised me yesterday at I had a spark plug arcing which is causing the issue. It is being fixed today and they will take the vehicle out again to test it. I still think it is the transmission but will have to wait and see. This is definately the last pontiac I'm purchasing.
Socaljonny in Seattle

Broomfield, CO

#6 May 4, 2011
The Trans in these Mini vans are Electronic with Magnets and the Magnets get Small Particals/Dirty and Need to be cleaned. An Easy Fix for Someone who knows what there doing. I,ve Had it Done on two Montana's. Dont Let Them Bullshit You into thinking it some more, Cause it Not......

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
edc

Richmond, VA

#7 Jun 21, 2011
Socaljonny in Seattle wrote:
The Trans in these Mini vans are Electronic with Magnets and the Magnets get Small Particals/Dirty and Need to be cleaned. An Easy Fix for Someone who knows what there doing. I,ve Had it Done on two Montana's. Dont Let Them Bullshit You into thinking it some more, Cause it Not......
where are these magnets located are they fairly easy too get too
John

Barrie, Canada

#8 Mar 30, 2012
Socaljonny in Seattle wrote:
Where are these magnets located ?
04montana

North Vancouver, Canada

#9 Oct 20, 2012
edc wrote:
<quoted text> where are these magnets located are they fairly easy too get too
They are at the bottom of the tranny pan. They are supposed to grab all the particles and keep them out of your system.
My mechanic says not to flush the system as that can plug up the system... Empty drain clean etc...
pontiac

Minneapolis, MN

#10 Dec 27, 2012
Jo Ann wrote:
I had the same problem with my 2003 pontiac montana. It has been at Mr. Transmission shop numerous times. I think they finally figured it out.
The are teeth in the differential. They spin when the car is on. When the transmission gets hot, the part that holds the teeth gets loose and doesn't spin correctly with shifting. When engine is cool, it does not do it. The part with the issue is manufactured at the plant and is not supposed to be taken apart. Mr. Transmission did, put some glue in it and now it is fine. Try it.
I am having same problem with mine....does it hurt it to just leave it or does it need to get fixed?
pontiac

Minneapolis, MN

#11 Dec 27, 2012
I am having same problem with mine, does it hurt it to leave it. or does it need to be fixed?
2003 Bombtana

Meridian, ID

#12 Mar 4, 2013
While locating the magent you must drop the pan. In doing this you loose fluid. Once put back together, if the lost fluid is replaced with clean fluid, it will act as a mild flush. If it runs smoother because of this, a transmission flush and new filter may be all that it needs.
s pond

Latrobe, PA

#13 Mar 13, 2013
My 2000 montana whines after warm and has harsh up shifts only sometimes.. some days it works amazing other days its bad.. usually aftrr warmed up and shut off then started again... hate this van. 3 rd I've owned. everyone did same thing
DAVID WAGG

Regina, Canada

#14 Apr 18, 2013
RE:2007 Pontiac Montana SV6
On very rare occasions,the vehicle will give A substantial clunk when the vehicle is initially put into drive and accelareated(gently)forward.Is this a common problem.
David Wagg
Sam Harris

Bolingbrook, IL

#15 May 31, 2013
I have a 2003 Montana and at times it will not shift out of second into higher gears. So far a tranny shop is stumped. It always behaves for them. When it does this, cruise control will not work. It also acts like it has a manual transmission with lots of engine braking, not the fluid coupling one normally feels.
dave s

Burnaby, Canada

#16 Aug 9, 2013
s pond wrote:
My 2000 montana whines after warm and has harsh up shifts only sometimes.. some days it works amazing other days its bad.. usually aftrr warmed up and shut off then started again... hate this van. 3 rd I've owned. everyone did same thing
mine has the same issue, seems to do it if you've stopped for a few minutes then go when hot. Has anyone heard of a solution or fix?
Justin

Barrie, Canada

#17 Aug 13, 2013
Just replace plugs and wires u have a sparkplug arcing on to motor
tduze wrote:
Hi there, I have a 2007 Pontiac Montana SV6, that when going uphill under mild acceleration (between 1500 and 2000 RPM) will start jerking like the transmission is slipping. It is not just one jerk, but multiples, rough enough that you feel like you could get whip lash.
Dealer wouldn't believe me at first, until I had the shop foreman in the car with me, and he didn't think we would make it back to the dealership. Had it for 2 days, couldn't recreate the problem, claimed it was a "software upgrade that didn't take" and that it was fixed now. Next day, happened again, but they still can't seem to diagnose the problem.
Anyone have a similar issue, heard of it, or have any idea what could be the cause?
kathyh

Chillicothe, OH

#18 Aug 18, 2013
s pond wrote:
i have a 2002 montana it is the pressure control solonoid in the tranny. having mine fixed this wk. it does this on all montana's. even the newer ones. don't let them tell u you need a new transmission. this solonoid controls the pressure of the fluid that controls theright amount of pressure to shift gears. 348.00 at most shops. plus fluid gaskets and filter
Sarai Mississauga

Bolton, Canada

#20 Sep 12, 2013
i hav emontana sv6 ...i just purchased from original owner and he told me he recently replaced tranny but when i am driving some time its shifting very hard then i turn it off and restart after 2 minutes then everything is normal ...no light no tranmission code no slipping but why this happens? any bopdy can help pls
Dean

Rosetown, Canada

#21 Oct 26, 2013
Sarai Mississauga wrote:
i hav emontana sv6 ...i just purchased from original owner and he told me he recently replaced tranny but when i am driving some time its shifting very hard then i turn it off and restart after 2 minutes then everything is normal ...no light no tranmission code no slipping but why this happens? any bopdy can help pls
The fix for most of these problems is to take the mass air flow sensor out and spray it with mass air flow cleaner. It is a simple fix and works. This problem messes with your engine control module and causes transmission problems. Those that shut off your engine and then they work fine until next time especially are the ones that need to perform this task. I have had many of these vans and it works.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pontiac Montana Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
remote start (Aug '15) May '17 homewrecker71986 3
01 Pontiac Montana new parts / 50-58 psi still ... (Jan '17) Apr '17 homewrecker71986 2
News Reports: 2004-2006 Chevy Uplander Sliding Door ... (Aug '07) Apr '17 nedobs 177
2004 Pontiac Montana Mar '17 Monkeywrench_786 2
2005 Montana SV6 Automatic Door Lock Disable? (Jan '17) Mar '17 Monkeywrench_786 2
99 Montana overheated - replaced frozen thermos... (Jan '16) Mar '17 Monkeywrench_786 2
numerous issues 2003 montana 3.4 engine DONT WA... (Jan '17) Jan '17 mchinn46 1
More from around the web