Alero Clutch Problems
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Loni

Winnipeg, Canada

#1 Dec 8, 2006
I have recently had problems with the clutch being soft and many times not working. Anyone had any experience with this and how to fix. My car is 2002 with a 2.2 engine.
Dave

West Chester, OH

#2 Feb 11, 2007
I have the same clutch problem. I'm searching the web for information regarding cause and fix. I don't want to go in to a shop blind. I think the clutch mecnhanism is hydrolic. I think I may have a leaky cylinder.
Ingrid

Sherwood Park, Canada

#3 Jan 30, 2008
My 2002 Alero is in the shop right now - my clutch stopped working yesterday - There is hydrolic fluid in the reservoir. Yesterday was -40 and the clutch was really stiff in the morning - I thought it was just because of the weather - In the afternoon there was no pressure at all. I limped it to a repair shop. Looks like it's toast

Since: Sep 08

Berkeley, CA

#4 Sep 11, 2008
Saw this site on another forum http://repairpal.com/oldsmobile-alero-2002 Had a online estimator for most vehicles and its free
kim

Marinette, WI

#5 Nov 17, 2009
Clutch just stopped working today. Very limp, falls to the floor. Is it expensive to fix?
kim

Marinette, WI

#6 Nov 17, 2009
Ingrid wrote:
My 2002 Alero is in the shop right now - my clutch stopped working yesterday - There is hydrolic fluid in the reservoir. Yesterday was -40 and the clutch was really stiff in the morning - I thought it was just because of the weather - In the afternoon there was no pressure at all. I limped it to a repair shop. Looks like it's toast
Did you have to replace the whole clutch system? Does it have anything to do with the hydrolic fluid? I'm really hoping this is an easy fix. How much did it cost if you don't mind me asking?
Franklin

St. John's, Canada

#7 Jan 6, 2010
I have a same situation my clutch stop working but I play with it and manage to work with but now it limp and have to play to get pressure back for a couple of min and after a do the same process again and again. But now I think I have to bring it to the shop but I'm sure they are going to tell me to change the entire clutch went I know it only a cylinder.
Can sobody confirm this before I empty my pockets.

Regards.

Franklin from Canada
Lewis

Hickory, NC

#8 Feb 13, 2010
Its not the whole clutch... has to be the cylinder if the clutch holds when you do get it in gear. Its hydrolic and is leaking pressure. Mines a 2.2 5-speed and has the same problem. Ill fix it and figure out what the deal is
Scott

Dartmouth, Canada

#9 Apr 13, 2010
I'm losing pressure in the clutch system as well. It will be limp after sitting for a while and I have to pump it up to restore pressure and periodically when I drive I will slip it into neutral so I can pump it up again. It's possible there is air in the system so I would like to look into bleeding it myself but I've found absolutely no useful information on how to do this for this car. I bought one of the Chilton or Clymer repair manuals but that was no help at all. No pictures telling me where to find the bleed valve etc. Anyone out there have any experience with this?

If it ends up being a leaking in the cylinder (bad seals) does anyone know what this repair is expected to cost?
Dan

Milwaukee, WI

#10 Apr 13, 2010
To make a long story short i had a new clutch put in last November ,(03' 5speed)up until three weeks ago we were taking it back to the shop every 2 to 4 days (or less) because of pedal becoming soft ,pumping pedal worked but would quickly leave us without no feel to pedal.The dealership did not have an answer as to why when EVERY thing was brand new.They finally did what i was told was "POWER BLEEDIND" the system for a FULL HOUR , feels like new ever since which like i said has been almost a month. Last October we had the pedal assembly replaced and if the changed the clutch fluid then that would have explained why the clutch had to be "replace" in November which led us basicly without that car til this March always being at the shop ,i am greatfull for the dealership sticking with it for 5 months and getting it working again.
John

Edmonton, Canada

#11 Nov 17, 2010
I just had the transmission and clutch replaced on my 2004 2.2 litre alero 1 1/2 weeks ago today in -30 weather i was driving home, my clutch went from perfect to no pressure in a matter of 10 minutes i've got the clutch repleaced i've got the clutch slave cylinder replaced and the master cylinder which in total almost cost me half what the damn car did in the first place does anyone have any other bright ideas???
Scott

Dartmouth, Canada

#12 Nov 18, 2010
I was having the spongy clutch problem for the longest time and having to pump it up even while driving around the city when it gets used a lot. I wasn't losing any fluid so the problem was a seal in the slave cylinder contained within the clutch assembly. Eventually I had an external seal breach and full failure so I had the clutch replaced and I've been good since. John if you're saying you've had everything replaced and still have a spongy clutch then it sounds like the system wasn't properly bled. Not sure if that would be considered a bright idea but here's one for sure... get rid of the POS :-)
Bill

Winnipeg, Canada

#13 Dec 12, 2010
John wrote:
I just had the transmission and clutch replaced on my 2004 2.2 litre alero 1 1/2 weeks ago today in -30 weather i was driving home, my clutch went from perfect to no pressure in a matter of 10 minutes i've got the clutch repleaced i've got the clutch slave cylinder replaced and the master cylinder which in total almost cost me half what the damn car did in the first place does anyone have any other bright ideas???
I have gone through the same process you have over the past 3 years and today i think i have to replace my clutch cylinder again. Too much money has gone into this car. My advice would be get rid of the car...i plan on doing that soon.
Kel

Regina, Canada

#14 Aug 30, 2011
I'm having all the same issues with my alero. Replaced the master and now the slave is gone. Wondering if it's just a weak design for this year of car?? I'm very annoyed!!!
A honest mechanic

Waterloo, Canada

#15 Nov 26, 2011
All of you are having the same problem and its the same fix. On the clutch pedal there is a plastic clip. It holds the clutch rod that goes into the master cylinder. This clip breaks and does not let the clutch return to the top making it feel spongy or like there is no pedal at all. The fix is to replace the pushrod and clip. Even the guy who wrote claiming they did a power bleed sounds like a dealership bs because they replaced parts they didn't need to. Quick fix under 60 for parts or go to the junk yard.
ali

Enid, OK

#16 Sep 1, 2013
A honest mechanic wrote:
All of you are having the same problem and its the same fix. On the clutch pedal there is a plastic clip. It holds the clutch rod that goes into the master cylinder. This clip breaks and does not let the clutch return to the top making it feel spongy or like there is no pedal at all. The fix is to replace the pushrod and clip. Even the guy who wrote claiming they did a power bleed sounds like a dealership bs because they replaced parts they didn't need to. Quick fix under 60 for parts or go to the junk yard.
where can you buy a pushrod and clip on the internet?
ali

Enid, OK

#17 Sep 1, 2013
where can you buy a pushrod and clip for 03 alero on the internet??
David JSL

Toronto, Canada

#18 Jan 26, 2014
I replaced my worn 2003 Alero clutch in 2009 ($1500 job). Then while driving my clutch rod clip (plastic) broke, from under dash, rod popped out, pedal went to floor, had to coast to shoulder, jammed shifter to neutral and parked. Got underneath dash (used cell phone light), pulled out pedal and pushed clip UP (clicks) into place. Drove home NOT releasing pedal roughly (ease it out). Rod and clip sold as unit at GM only $80. Have yet to replace as mechanic states clutch/engine must be disconnected so new rod can be replaced (2-3 hrs labour). SO, I adjusted BLUE sensor switch under dash (remove wire first) by hand pressing peddle to remove slack and screw sensor IN. Make sure to leave room for sensor button to make a electric click noise.

I tried to install clip but it is extremely difficult, not impossible, need great patience but probably best in hot weather and outside light. I've used it for 4 years so far, waiting for clutch to wear out then will do it properly, if I don't get it in first.

Good luck hope this helps.

Since: Jun 13

Little Chute, WI

#19 Apr 25, 2014
Hey can anyone help me out I have a 1999 Oldsmobile Alero good car havnt had many prove with it yet but one thing it is doing is when. I'm driveing around town for a while the car while run a little hit It wount over heat it will just run hot. After a little bit the fans come on and the temp goes back down or if I go on the highway or something that involves stepping on the gas or going faster the temp will go down. Could this be a radiator issue? It's not leaking coolant the heat is fine the waterpuml is fine also. Any help apriciated thanxs
Parker

Kelowna, Canada

#20 Sep 1, 2015
David JSL wrote:
I replaced my worn 2003 Alero clutch in 2009 ($1500 job). Then while driving my clutch rod clip (plastic) broke, from under dash, rod popped out, pedal went to floor, had to coast to shoulder, jammed shifter to neutral and parked. Got underneath dash (used cell phone light), pulled out pedal and pushed clip UP (clicks) into place. Drove home NOT releasing pedal roughly (ease it out). Rod and clip sold as unit at GM only $80. Have yet to replace as mechanic states clutch/engine must be disconnected so new rod can be replaced (2-3 hrs labour). SO, I adjusted BLUE sensor switch under dash (remove wire first) by hand pressing peddle to remove slack and screw sensor IN. Make sure to leave room for sensor button to make a electric click noise.
I tried to install clip but it is extremely difficult, not impossible, need great patience but probably best in hot weather and outside light. I've used it for 4 years so far, waiting for clutch to wear out then will do it properly, if I don't get it in first.
Good luck hope this helps.
Hey not sure if you will see this or not but.
How did you manage to get the clip onto the pedal to get the clip on? I have done this once before and it has broken again. I don't remember how i got it on there last time but I remember it was really difficult. Trying to keep the rod pushed back while putting the plastic tip on it I think is how i did it last time.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Oldsmobile Alero Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Alero Security Light/ Ignition Fails (Jul '06) Jun '17 Combs 55
alero problems (Apr '06) Apr '17 Daniel 67
Alero Security Issue Mar '17 Cheesewocky 1
Fuel gauge stuck (Nov '06) Mar '17 Toad 34
2004 Alero won't turn all the way off (Dec '16) Dec '16 Rozalindc 1
I have a Oldsmobile Alera 2000 that is loosing ... (Oct '15) Oct '15 Shawnee 1
Alero Codes (Aug '15) Aug '15 Brinn 1
More from around the web