Replace tail light assembly on 2007 X...

Replace tail light assembly on 2007 Xterra

Posted in the Nissan Xterra Forum

Chris

Lakeland, FL

#1 Sep 25, 2010
I had an accident with my xterra and need to replace the tail light assembly. How do I get thewire plugged in through the little hole?. How can I access the connector? I got the tail light assembly off just fine but don't know how to plug it in.

Thanks.
James

Denver, CO

#2 Jul 8, 2011
I have the same problem. The new Tail Light assembly (driver's side) has a complete wiring harness with bulbs installed, and the rubber body grommet and wiring connector. Instead of putting the connector right behind the body grommet where it would be accessible, it is about 10-12 inches inside the rear quarter panel, behind steel with only a 1 inch hole in it. I checked under the car and inside the fuel filler door for access, but nothing found. The only other choice, is the cargo space liner, which also has no obvious fasteners or access panels. I suppose the cargo liner is mounted with those frustrating plastic pins (the ones with "bristles") that are mostly unusable once they are pried loose. Until I figure it out, I am using the old wiring harness and sockets from the broken taillight,(maybe I always will).
Tom

Palm Bay, FL

#3 Nov 19, 2011
Same thing here. I just replaced the drivers side tail light assembly. The only way to access the new wiring connector is from the inside by removing the cargo liner (yes, those annoying plastic push pins). Once you have the liner pulled back you can push the connector through the quarter panel and disconnect and connect the new wiring connector. The push pins wouldn't go back in properly of course, but the tail light is now fixed.:)
James

Conifer, CO

#4 Jan 19, 2012
Thanks for verifying how the connector goes together.

If you own (a few years old) Xterra, get ready for your next project, a new clutch. The OEM clutch almost never makes 50K miles. Mine died at 36,000, and Nissan said, "So what, clutches wear out. We don't cover them under your powertrain warrenty." Last time I checked, a clutch was part of the powertrain (?).

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Nissan Xterra Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
2001 Nissan xterra Nov 21 dannett3 1
02 Xterra will not start! Hellllllp (Jun '08) Oct '16 Frenchie 58
2001 Nissan Oct '16 jogging_pony95 1
02 Nissan Xterra will crank, but not run after ... Sep '16 Rush14 1
PLEASE HELP!! 2003 Nissan Xterra AT won't shift Aug '16 jaymelissa597 1
News Nissan XTerra 2004 (May '09) Jul '16 Red 3
Have to brag on my 2001 xterra! (Dec '15) Dec '15 Stacye 1
More from around the web