Nissan: Xterra AC units are designed ...

Nissan: Xterra AC units are designed to NOT turn off

Posted in the Nissan Xterra Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Since: Feb 08

Miami, FL

#1 Feb 13, 2008
I bought a new 2007 Nissan Xterra a couple months back and the AC won't turn off unless I shut the entire truck down.  The dealer and Nissan told me the unit was designed that way.  I'm not kidding.

I bought the truck in Naples, FL. On the drive home to Miami I realized the AC wouldn't turn off. I shut the truck down at red light and that did the trick, but when I used the defrost, which automatically turns the AC on, the AC wouldn't turn off again. It didn't matter what mode was selected after that, whether the AC button was in the "on" or "off" position, the AC stayed on until I stopped the truck, shut the entire thing down and restarted.

Like most Floridians, I use my defrost a lot when it rains and humidity fills the cabin. But running the defrost will infringe on my gas mileage and unnecessarily wear the engine and the AC unit.

I took it back to the dealer and they said it could not  be fixed, that it was designed that way.  I called Nissan's corporate offices and they said the same thing.

Is this possible?
SPW

Fernley, NV

#2 Feb 16, 2008
Insane...
Is that only the 07 models I wonder?
happyx

Winston Salem, NC

#3 Mar 18, 2008
I have a 2006 S and mine shuts off. Go to another dealer and dont and dont tell them what that dealer has told you.
dude

Montgomery, AL

#4 Apr 21, 2008
My 2003 just started doing that!
Rick

United States

#5 Jun 26, 2008
My 07 does the same thing. Though mine does it with both heat and AC. I just havent taken it in to the dealership yet.
calgonman4u

Anderson, SC

#6 May 10, 2009
miamiJoe wrote:
I bought a new 2007 Nissan Xterra a couple months back and the AC won't turn off unless I shut the entire truck down.  The dealer and Nissan told me the unit was designed that way.  I'm not kidding.
I bought the truck in Naples, FL. On the drive home to Miami I realized the AC wouldn't turn off. I shut the truck down at red light and that did the trick, but when I used the defrost, which automatically turns the AC on, the AC wouldn't turn off again. It didn't matter what mode was selected after that, whether the AC button was in the "on" or "off" position, the AC stayed on until I stopped the truck, shut the entire thing down and restarted.
Like most Floridians, I use my defrost a lot when it rains and humidity fills the cabin. But running the defrost will infringe on my gas mileage and unnecessarily wear the engine and the AC unit.
I took it back to the dealer and they said it could not  be fixed, that it was designed that way.  I called Nissan's corporate offices and they said the same thing.
Is this possible?
I had a 92 Nissan SER and a 96 Maxima with the same symptons. I replaced the dash switch and a switch under the hood for the A/C and dont remember what it was for to no avail. One dealer said the ECU controlled the A/C. I replaced that on both cars which were both low milage cars but were in a high humidity area and that worked. The dealer said that there was a lot of corrosion on the plug in pins and the resepticle for the ecu.??? Just my other Nissan experiences
azstumbler

San Antonio, TX

#7 May 17, 2009
I have a 2006 Xterra and it runs for 20 minutes and then shut itself off. I was told it is supposed to do that to keep the AC lubricated.
miamiJoe wrote:
I bought a new 2007 Nissan Xterra a couple months back and the AC won't turn off unless I shut the entire truck down.  The dealer and Nissan told me the unit was designed that way.  I'm not kidding.
I bought the truck in Naples, FL. On the drive home to Miami I realized the AC wouldn't turn off. I shut the truck down at red light and that did the trick, but when I used the defrost, which automatically turns the AC on, the AC wouldn't turn off again. It didn't matter what mode was selected after that, whether the AC button was in the "on" or "off" position, the AC stayed on until I stopped the truck, shut the entire thing down and restarted.
Like most Floridians, I use my defrost a lot when it rains and humidity fills the cabin. But running the defrost will infringe on my gas mileage and unnecessarily wear the engine and the AC unit.
I took it back to the dealer and they said it could not  be fixed, that it was designed that way.  I called Nissan's corporate offices and they said the same thing.
Is this possible?
Indy

Parker, CO

#8 Oct 10, 2009
Your Nissan's AC should not run if the AC button is not "ON". The blower always runs a little when the power knob is on the "OFF" position. I hate this feature but both my 2000 Exterra and 2000 Maxima do this. Make sure you look at the AC unit and confirm the compressor is actually on. I suspect it is not but if it is then go to a "certified" Nissan mechanic outside of the dealership and ask them about it.
Norman Prevatte

Burke, VA

#9 Oct 16, 2009
With the defroster on the A/C will run if the temperature is cold in just about every vehicle I've had over the last 30 years. To disengage it you had to turn up the temperature.
I have an 05 Xterra and the A/C can be turned off. If the defrost is on the A/C will stay on until the temperature is turned up.

Norman Prevatte
Stafford, VA
mike

Zephyrhills, FL

#10 Feb 23, 2010
see if its your thermal control amplifier. these are to blame for alot of ac issues. its basically a thermistor thats in the evaporator that will turn the ac on/off. the thermistor goes bad and then you have problems. you can read up on it in alot of nissan forums as this seems to be a common issue, In my infiniti g20 I had a bad tca and it would blow ac when i hit the 'auto' button, this is great except it was cold even when set to 84f. I replaced the bad thermistors and this restored my ac control.
jay

Old Saybrook, CT

#11 May 20, 2010
why does my xterra shut off i changed spark plug cap rotor
upset

United States

#12 Oct 7, 2010
I have a 2007 Xterra, just came from the dealer where I had them check that, they said it works as designed.
Well guess what, bad design. That is stupid. I have to stop and cycle the ignition to have the AC turn off otherwise it will continue to work.
engineering at its best....
kayode

Nigeria

#13 Mar 14, 2011
i have a 2007 xterra,just recently it i had the AC condenser changed because of leakages, this eventually affected the compressor which i had to change too.

Now when i start the truck and on the AC,the AC fan will not pick due to problem from the 3-pin pressure switch according to an expert.
Further more i had change the pressure switch more than 3 times now still, the problem persist-the ac compressor is on but the fan won't respond

Anyone can help with this?
David

Huntsville, AL

#14 Jul 30, 2011
MY Nisson A/C will not turn on when the temperture is above 90 degrees. When it is below 90 it works just fine. I have replaced everything, whats the fix.
Laurie

Mill Valley, CA

#15 May 8, 2012
My AC quit working. The mechanic said the hose had a hole in it. He replaced that and put in freon. Didn't work. It has been in about 5 times and it works for awhile(last night and this morning) and then quits. Or goes on for literally two seconds and then off again. He replaced the relay switches and said he did something with some wires. This is so frustrating. I have to go to the desert next week and I don't want to go without the AC. This has been going on for a week now. Anyone have any ideas???
goody

Tulsa, OK

#16 Jun 24, 2012
2000 nissian xterra just had the timing belt relpaced and drove it about 2000 miles it just died and about after 15min it started again and i drove it about 10 miles and let it set over night and it started in the morning and ran about 5 min and quit , it still will crank but not fire. i replaced cap and rotor it started again and then died what in the heck is going on? help!!!!
The Miss Chick

New Smyrna Beach, FL

#17 Sep 3, 2012
Laurie wrote:
My AC quit working. The mechanic said the hose had a hole in it. He replaced that and put in freon. Didn't work. It has been in about 5 times and it works for awhile(last night and this morning) and then quits. Or goes on for literally two seconds and then off again. He replaced the relay switches and said he did something with some wires. This is so frustrating. I have to go to the desert next week and I don't want to go without the AC. This has been going on for a week now. Anyone have any ideas???
Did you get the fan blower checked? My 2006 Xterra air would not blow on #1, blew on #2 and#3, but warm air.#4 blew cold air but looked like there was a short in it. Would be on for awhile then off, on then off..etc etc. They repalced the blower under the glove compartment and it works now. Go on You Tube and watch a video how to install one and you could do it and save at least $100.00! Hope that works for you! God Bless.
The Miss Chick

New Smyrna Beach, FL

#18 Sep 3, 2012
kayode wrote:
i have a 2007 xterra,just recently it i had the AC condenser changed because of leakages, this eventually affected the compressor which i had to change too.
Now when i start the truck and on the AC,the AC fan will not pick due to problem from the 3-pin pressure switch according to an expert.
Further more i had change the pressure switch more than 3 times now still, the problem persist-the ac compressor is on but the fan won't respond
Anyone can help with this?
Did you get the fan blower checked? My 2006 Xterra air would not blow on #1, blew on #2 and#3, but warm air.#4 blew cold air but looked like there was a short in it. Would be on for awhile then off, on then off..etc etc. They repalced the blower under the glove compartment and it works now. Go on You Tube and watch a video how to install one and you could do it and save at least $100.00! Hope that works for you! God Bless.
Mark

Houston, TX

#19 Aug 13, 2013
If your compressor is cutting on and off and just has a mind of its own try putting it in defrost. If this cools then most likely its your thermister. Its a sensor on the evaporator and aboit $50 at the dealer.
robster

Thunder Bay, Canada

#20 Sep 5, 2013
my ac light will come on when on #1 speed ( seems to be cooling ), but as soon as you turn it to #2 speed or higher , the ac light goes out and no cooling ? could it be resistor ?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Nissan Xterra Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Water pump Mar 10 Stephen Reynolds 1
2001 3.6L engine replacement Feb '17 Stan 1
02 Xterra will not start! Hellllllp (Jun '08) Feb '17 JohnCliburn 63
2001 Nissan xterra Nov '16 dannett3 1
2001 Nissan Oct '16 jogging_pony95 1
02 Nissan Xterra will crank, but not run after ... (Sep '16) Sep '16 Rush14 1
PLEASE HELP!! 2003 Nissan Xterra AT won't shift (Aug '16) Aug '16 jaymelissa597 1
More from around the web