Small cars in demand as gas prices so...

Small cars in demand as gas prices soar | The Columbus Dispatch

There are 47 comments on the Columbus Dispatch story from Apr 14, 2011, titled Small cars in demand as gas prices soar | The Columbus Dispatch. In it, Columbus Dispatch reports that:

In a matter of months, the Ford Fiesta has gone from a sales disappointment to one of the most-popular cars on the lot.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Columbus Dispatch.

karon

AOL

#22 Apr 14, 2011
Why not alternative type of transportation besides just cars , how about a passenger train and light rail connecting the city and the suburbs , and streetcars for Ohio cities. It is hard to live in a state when the only mode of transportation is just a bus option only! Young professionals and senior citizens deserve more from this state than just cars! Also alternative transportation creates thousands of new jobs!
uaw jon

Toledo, OH

#23 Apr 14, 2011
Libertarian wrote:
<quoted text>
You'd rather it be made in Mexico by expensive union labor?
make them them here with exspensive american labor
uaw jon

Toledo, OH

#24 Apr 14, 2011
karon wrote:
Why not alternative type of transportation besides just cars , how about a passenger train and light rail connecting the city and the suburbs , and streetcars for Ohio cities. It is hard to live in a state when the only mode of transportation is just a bus option only! Young professionals and senior citizens deserve more from this state than just cars! Also alternative transportation creates thousands of new jobs!
as long as the mass trasit system can stand on it's own feet does not have to be subsidized by the tax payer
Carpe Diem

Columbus, OH

#25 Apr 14, 2011
uaw jon wrote:
<quoted text> as long as the mass trasit system can stand on it's own feet does not have to be subsidized by the tax payer
Wait, you think driving automobiles is not subsidized by tax payers??? Do you think highways and infrastructure pop up out of the fields on their own? Why always the insistence that mass transit pay for itself without taxpayer assistance?
uaw jon

Toledo, OH

#26 Apr 14, 2011
Carpe Diem wrote:
<quoted text>
Wait, you think driving automobiles is not subsidized by tax payers??? Do you think highways and infrastructure pop up out of the fields on their own? Why always the insistence that mass transit pay for itself without taxpayer assistance?
even more now with these bailouts I chose to drive a car and pay all the taxes fees and tolls to drive a car. alot of money is deverted from road and hiway funds to pay for other projects other than roads and hiways
88dfr

San Jose, CA

#27 Apr 14, 2011
Money Hog wrote:
Almost no one knows that the Jetta comes in a 42 mpg diesel version. That will be my next car.
Really? The significantly higher price per gallon for diesel fuel vs. gasoline will wipe out any mpg advantage for diesel, so I don't see the point. Besides, there are gas powered cars that get very similar mileage.

I used to be anti small car because they felt cheap and they didn't fit me very well (I'm 6'2"), but recently I had a Nissan Versa as a rental car for two weeks in L.A., and after I got over my initial prejudice against it, I was impressed. The styling is a little dowdy for my taste, but it was very roomy, comfortable, and zippy, and the quality in that class of car has come a long way. I could definitely live with it as a grocery getter. It was certainly the perfect car for L.A. with their gas 75 cents or more per gallon above Central Ohio prices.
Luv My Fiesta

Dublin, OH

#28 Apr 14, 2011
I absolutely LOVE my Fiesta! I recently took a trip to Cincinnati and topped at averaging 43.2 MPG. It handles very well, is comfortable and has all the whistles and bells. The Sync Navigation is great too! It's extremely accurate.
Open Road

United States

#29 Apr 14, 2011
I absolutely LOVE my '98 Suburban! It averages 15 MPG. It handles very well, is comfortable and has all the whistles and bells I need. I also do not need to make two trips to the grocery to get my purchases home.
uaw jon

Toledo, OH

#30 Apr 14, 2011
Luv My Fiesta wrote:
I absolutely LOVE my Fiesta! I recently took a trip to Cincinnati and topped at averaging 43.2 MPG. It handles very well, is comfortable and has all the whistles and bells. The Sync Navigation is great too! It's extremely accurate.
Great I'm glad you like your car.honestly buy what you want it still a free country isn't it?
uaw jon

Toledo, OH

#31 Apr 14, 2011
Open Road wrote:
I absolutely LOVE my '98 Suburban! It averages 15 MPG. It handles very well, is comfortable and has all the whistles and bells I need. I also do not need to make two trips to the grocery to get my purchases home.
great glad you like your car blahhh blahhh blahhh
karon

AOL

#32 Apr 14, 2011
uaw jon wrote:
<quoted text> as long as the mass trasit system can stand on it's own feet does not have to be subsidized by the tax payer
Do you realize what you are paying for highways and roads each year? This state pays billions and thaT doesnt even include the grass that has to be trim near those highways. Trains are cheaper to maintain and they create thousands of new jobs! I would rather my tax money go to trains than to highways. Did you know your tax money is going to Cleveland to support their subway system!
Parasite Government

Columbus, OH

#33 Apr 14, 2011
I'm looking to sell my old subcompact commuter car and buy a big van for the family. I'm trying to time it for when gas is $5, as I figure I can sell the beater for an extra $1,000, and get at least another $2-3k discount over what I could get now on the van.

People are so emotional - You have to be a contrarian.
uaw jon

Toledo, OH

#34 Apr 14, 2011
karon wrote:
<quoted text> Do you realize what you are paying for highways and roads each year? This state pays billions and thaT doesnt even include the grass that has to be trim near those highways. Trains are cheaper to maintain and they create thousands of new jobs! I would rather my tax money go to trains than to highways. Did you know your tax money is going to Cleveland to support their subway system!
yes I do know how much i pay for hiways. and yes i am willing to pay for the maintenance of these hiways, does that not create thousand of jobs.Yes i like the freedom of the hiways to go where i want when i want saves time and time is money if you want your money to go to mass transit fine its your money dont tell me what to do with mine
karon

AOL

#35 Apr 14, 2011
uaw jon wrote:
<quoted text> yes I do know how much i pay for hiways. and yes i am willing to pay for the maintenance of these hiways, does that not create thousand of jobs.Yes i like the freedom of the hiways to go where i want when i want saves time and time is money if you want your money to go to mass transit fine its your money dont tell me what to do with mine
The car and highway freedom is fine for some! But for young professionals , college students, senior citizens , and those wanting to go from a to b without car dependence should have an option of a train! Passenger trains are great for seniors citizens since they are getting older and they dont have the mobility to drive on highways anymore! The trains gives them options! Also since alot of those trains have resturants on them you can enjoy a glass of wine or beer and not worry about getting a OVI! These trains are what will keep young professionals in this state!
karon

AOL

#36 Apr 14, 2011
Collins44 wrote:
Tiny cars are unsafe on freeways or in icy conditions and certain death in an accident. The problem is that our federal government is spending 3.7 trillion this fiscal year of which 43% is borrowed money, thus devaluing our currency and resulting in higher and higher gas prices.
Bush 1 spent 1.8 trillion
Clinton spent 1.7 trillion
Bush 2 spent 2.2 trillion
and now Obama is spending 3.7 trillon.
The solution is not insanely small cars but to roll back spending and : Drill baby drill!
Drilling will NOT bring lower gas prices! You have a spoiled tea party attiude!
Speedy

Urbana, OH

#37 Apr 14, 2011
Open Road wrote:
I absolutely LOVE my '98 Suburban! It averages 15 MPG. It handles very well, is comfortable and has all the whistles and bells I need. I also do not need to make two trips to the grocery to get my purchases home.
Probably can't afford enough groceries to make 2 trips after filling the tank on your Slurpin Suburban.
AMC

Columbus, OH

#38 Apr 14, 2011
them geo will be a hot market now
plain spoken

Columbus, OH

#39 Apr 14, 2011
karon wrote:
<quoted text> The car and highway freedom is fine for some! But for young professionals , college students, senior citizens , and those wanting to go from a to b without car dependence should have an option of a train! Passenger trains are great for seniors citizens since they are getting older and they dont have the mobility to drive on highways anymore! The trains gives them options! Also since alot of those trains have resturants on them you can enjoy a glass of wine or beer and not worry about getting a OVI! These trains are what will keep young professionals in this state!
I hear Europe is beautiful year-round.
uaw jon

Toledo, OH

#40 Apr 14, 2011
karon wrote:
<quoted text> The car and highway freedom is fine for some! But for young professionals , college students, senior citizens , and those wanting to go from a to b without car dependence should have an option of a train! Passenger trains are great for seniors citizens since they are getting older and they dont have the mobility to drive on highways anymore! The trains gives them options! Also since alot of those trains have resturants on them you can enjoy a glass of wine or beer and not worry about getting a OVI! These trains are what will keep young professionals in this state!
you have your trains thats fine dont force me to use it or pay for it. do you really believe trains will solve all are problems
frip

Reynoldsburg, OH

#41 Apr 14, 2011
Too bad GM and others didn't start cranking out small cars sooner (like China did). Instead...SUVs.

And too bad Americans are so short sighted and narrow thinking that they believe their big cars are their right.

Stupid.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Nissan Versa Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Study: Hybrid, EV technologies compete with che... Feb '16 Solarman 1
News Nissan Produces its 11 Millionth Engine in Agua... Dec '15 is name esquivel_... 1
News U.S. Pricing and Specs for 2015 Nissan Versa Note (May '14) May '14 stellamathore 1
News Comparison Test : 2013 Hyundai Accent vs 2014 N... (Nov '13) Mar '14 sam 2
News First drive, 2011 Ford Fiesta (May '10) Nov '13 hahahaha 4
News 2014 Nissan Versa Note Launch Report - First Dr... (Jun '13) Jun '13 A_User 1
News Business insider: GM pines for sweet taste of i... (Jun '13) Jun '13 church of whats h... 3
More from around the web