Auto sales running out of gas

Rising oil prices, the credit crunch and military deployments all have contributed to double-digit declines in Hawaii STORY SUMMARY READ THE FULL STORY Hawaii car sales are down dramatically this year, but not ... Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Sammo

Honolulu, HI

#21 Jun 22, 2008
I did an interesting calculation comparing the Toyota Highlander basic car vs. Hybrid Unlimited. Base car sells for $27,500 while the fancier one sells for $40,500. It's a $13K difference.$13K dvided by $4 gas makes 3250 gallons. At about 20 MPG, you get 65K miles free (in theory) if you buy the cheaper model. Forget the hybrids. Before you break even, you will need to replace the battery in 8 years which means added repair costs. Nobody is going to buy your used car at that age. Yes, they'll tell you now it has a 10-12 year lifespan because that is what you want to hear, and they won't even remember what they said when that time comes. Do you really need the leather, the infinity seat adjustments, Bose CD player, and mahogany wood trim? We live on a very small island and usually get to our destination in about an hour. For me, a car is just a means to get from point A to B. It's not an ego trip.
alice

Honolulu, HI

#22 Jun 22, 2008
True, and as bad a job as the governor has done, she can walk or take a cab.
aab

Wahiawa, HI

#23 Jun 22, 2008
Payback is SWEEEEEET! In college we monitored speeding vehicles, and in Hawaii the ones that went fastest and most often sped were large pickup trucks and large SUVs. Ironically, these are the very vehicles that would benefit most by slowing down. Now they have to literally STOP because their owners can't afford to drive them. GOOD! I hope gas stays above $4 per gallon forever. And these large vehicle drivers can't afford to sell their trucks, either! Way cool!
microcars

Wahiawa, HI

#24 Jun 22, 2008
Time for the microcars to make their way to the islands en-mass. The only puzzle I see is how one big moke goin fit in one of those. I know, one per car. :-) Note: meant as humor, not derrogatory.
Serv-Fukunaga

Lahaina, HI

#25 Jun 22, 2008
Old Hawaiian wrote:
This is Servco's chance to solidify their market on all things Toyota. All the Toyota dealers are Servco and their "consumer oriented ONE PRICE to HELP the people" is a joke. More like "take it or leave it". Thus, Hawaii's consumers stand in line for Toyota blood donations rather than shopping for an almost new model in the mainland and shipping it down. That's why used Toyotas are also so expensive. The original owners got ripped off from Servco. A recent survey figured that it takes 7 years or more to recoupe the price difference between a hybrid and non hybrid in gas savings. At that point it's break even but then the car's already 7 years old and due for repairs. Probably the best strategy is to keep the car you already have if it's paid for, drive less, and use alternative means of transportation.
Sammo wrote:
I did an interesting calculation comparing the Toyota Highlander basic car vs. Hybrid Unlimited. Base car sells for $27,500 while the fancier one sells for $40,500. It's a $13K difference.$13K dvided by $4 gas makes 3250 gallons. At about 20 MPG, you get 65K miles free (in theory) if you buy the cheaper model. Forget the hybrids. Before you break even, you will need to replace the battery in 8 years which means added repair costs. Nobody is going to buy your used car at that age. Yes, they'll tell you now it has a 10-12 year lifespan because that is what you want to hear, and they won't even remember what they said when that time comes. Do you really need the leather, the infinity seat adjustments, Bose CD player, and mahogany wood trim? We live on a very small island and usually get to our destination in about an hour. For me, a car is just a means to get from point A to B. It's not an ego trip.
Bravo to both of you. Barry and family are laughing at the rest of us all the way to the bank.
alice

Honolulu, HI

#26 Jun 22, 2008
yes, the Mini cooper with a hybrid engine would be great.
Wow

Princeville, HI

#27 Jun 22, 2008
Alice is correct again..........

Alice 100 Others 0
alice

Honolulu, HI

#28 Jun 22, 2008
:) The man who abused my wee bottom should apologize! grrrrrr.....
Michael

Bangkok, Thailand

#29 Jun 22, 2008
For years these car dealers have made morons out of people in Hawaii by charging over MRSP with those bogus second stickers and then they want us to believe that paying $ 4000 to 12000 more for a hybrid model will save us money. Wake up people , its simple math. My 1992 honda civic get 42 MPG, and I purchase my vehicles off island so I do not pay the Aloha Tax.
dudealohajoe

United States

#30 Jun 22, 2008
alice wrote:
:) The man who abused my wee bottom should apologize! grrrrrr.....
I said I'm sorry, I tot dat was one buddha belly, and I was rubbin''em fo' good luck.
alice

Honolulu, HI

#31 Jun 22, 2008
giggle....I would know your hand if it were the one that glided like a butterfly over my wee, hard bottom.
dudealohajoe

United States

#32 Jun 22, 2008
alice wrote:
giggle....I would know your hand if it were the one that glided like a butterfly over my wee, hard bottom.
good one, u win...
alice

Honolulu, HI

#33 Jun 22, 2008
:)
Part Hawaiian

Princeville, HI

#34 Jun 22, 2008
lol you horny lovers!
Harm Ha

AOL

#35 Jun 22, 2008
Buy a Prius!!!!!!!!
Part Hawaiian

Princeville, HI

#36 Jun 22, 2008
Buy a chevy cobalt.....thats a hot car!
Old Hawaiian

Honolulu, HI

#37 Jun 22, 2008
Michael wrote:
For years these car dealers have made morons out of people in Hawaii by charging over MRSP with those bogus second stickers and then they want us to believe that paying $ 4000 to 12000 more for a hybrid model will save us money. Wake up people , its simple math. My 1992 honda civic get 42 MPG, and I purchase my vehicles off island so I do not pay the Aloha Tax.

Absolutely!
I worked in a couple different dealerships in my younger days and I was shocked at what goes on behind those glass walls as nice and gullible retired Mr. and Mrs. Takatakeme dealed to get their new Toyota or Ford or whatever. Like chumming the water in a barrel full of sharks. You could buy a car in Hawaii for what the dealer "says" is rock bottom cost and they'd still be raking you over the coals. The only way to get a great deal is buying a car that's only 1-2 years old in the mainland and shipping it down. The savings will more than pay for shipping and the plane fare as long as you bought wisely to begin with.
As far as buying new in Hawaii, open a vein.
Recent Car Buyer

Waianae, HI

#38 Jun 22, 2008
kanehi wrote:
Surprisingly there wasn't that much of a discount from the sticker price.
You can negotiate the price and save even more money. Try http://beatthecarsalesman.com for tips.
whateva

Honolulu, HI

#39 Jun 23, 2008
Buy a SALVAGE car,half of bluebook.
Its a daily driver,who cares, image is nothing.
Think about it, one payment versus 5 years. Make money when your car gets hit, my car has been paid off for years, 28 miles per gallon.
Park anywhere without worry. Enough said. I like to laugh at those big SUV owners at the pump.....
Old Hawaiian

Honolulu, HI

#40 Jun 23, 2008
whateva wrote:
Buy a SALVAGE car,half of bluebook.
Its a daily driver,who cares, image is nothing.
Think about it, one payment versus 5 years. Make money when your car gets hit, my car has been paid off for years, 28 miles per gallon.
Park anywhere without worry. Enough said. I like to laugh at those big SUV owners at the pump.....
Now the secret is out.
Cars get a fender and bumper dinged up and the insurance company writes off the whole car, pays off the owner. Then the body shop fixes the damage and sells it for dirt cheap as a "salvage title". Resale value is poor since buyers don't trust what was actually damaged. But, it won't matter if you're going to keep the car for it's full remaining life, which few modern car drivers do anyway. Most are used to driving "payment mobiles".

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Nissan Versa Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
U.S. Pricing and Specs for 2015 Nissan Versa Note May '14 stellamathore 1
Comparison Test : 2013 Hyundai Accent vs 2014 N... (Nov '13) Mar '14 sam 2
First drive, 2011 Ford Fiesta (May '10) Nov '13 hahahaha 4
2014 Nissan Versa Note Launch Report - First Dr... (Jun '13) Jun '13 A_User 1
Business insider: GM pines for sweet taste of i... (Jun '13) Jun '13 church of whats h... 3
Nissan Versa at a very chip price (May '12) Mar '13 RelicsOnTheShelf 2
Brought to you by our sponsors: TV's most egreg... (Oct '12) Oct '12 Dodger 1

Nissan Versa People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE