Auto sales running out of gas

Auto sales running out of gas

There are 40 comments on the Honolulu Star-Bulletin story from Jun 22, 2008, titled Auto sales running out of gas. In it, Honolulu Star-Bulletin reports that:

Rising oil prices, the credit crunch and military deployments all have contributed to double-digit declines in Hawaii STORY SUMMARY READ THE FULL STORY Hawaii car sales are down dramatically this year, but not ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Honolulu Star-Bulletin.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
kanehi

Honolulu, HI

#1 Jun 22, 2008
I had my SUV serviced at a dealership and was looking around the showroom and looked at the prices. Surprisingly there wasn't that much of a discount from the sticker price. I figured that with the cost of a new car payment it would take years to break even vs keeping my SUV. I decided to keep the SUV. There's no 'big' incentive to get a high mileage car for now.
StandingBy

Honolulu, HI

#2 Jun 22, 2008
Hey guys, remember when the bus drivers went out on strike?? What was it 3 months and everything with wheels was being sold as soon as it arrived at stores islandwide. Its time to get healthy and start using your own ability to get around which means using your foot mobile. Just think how healthy you will be in a couple of months. I know that not all of us can do this citing people with handicaps, but just think of the benefits we will get not mention going green. I knew something good would come out of this!!! The Bus is there so walk to your busstop, and get off several stops before your destination, you will trim down, and look amazing not to mention have money to do other things.
Chris

Port Saint Lucie, FL

#3 Jun 22, 2008
The surprising thing to me is that even the gas efficient cars aren't getting better mileage than they do.
alice

Honolulu, HI

#4 Jun 22, 2008
Obama wants to madate higher mileage..Detroit let all down the past 30 years when it comes to engineering change.
brokebuteven

Lihue, HI

#5 Jun 22, 2008
Yes we got plenty of sunshine.
Go solar-powered electric cars. Refuel off your home's roof.
The Detroit auto industry have been dinosaurs grazing in an area with large signs reading: "Warning, future asteroid impact site."
dudealohajoe

United States

#6 Jun 22, 2008
No mo' gas, gotta catch da Bus. I used to drive a Toyota Corona, remember those cars? How about the Cressida? Whatever happened to Mazda 929?
alice

Honolulu, HI

#7 Jun 22, 2008
true
bdbd

Kahului, HI

#8 Jun 22, 2008
looks like we're headed for a dismal xmas
no act

Kahului, HI

#9 Jun 22, 2008
all the actors starting to hurt
dudealohajoe

United States

#10 Jun 22, 2008
no act wrote:
all the actors starting to hurt
I remembah, dat used to be Robert Kekaula's favorite reply, "How ya gonna act?!!!"
alice

Honolulu, HI

#11 Jun 22, 2008
Robert is a "homer" for the Uh and therefore not a credible announcer. He is just average as a sportscastor. He always looks like he is filled with anger and hatred. I find him...ummmm..disagreeable.
djs

United States

#12 Jun 22, 2008
Dealerships have been raking in money for decades and have been a major contributor to our daily gridlock. Guess it's their turn to make sacrifices to live and work here.
no act

Kahului, HI

#13 Jun 22, 2008
alice wrote:
Robert is a "homer" for the Uh and therefore not a credible announcer. He is just average as a sportscastor. He always looks like he is filled with anger and hatred. I find him...ummmm..disagreeable.
he went choke his boss rememba?
Dman

Las Vegas, NV

#14 Jun 22, 2008
no one needs a new car? its this lifestyle of buying new all the time, cars sells are going down, down down. Who needs a big SUV or truck? what did we do 20 years ago before all these big trucks and suvs?
Blackpope808

Kailua, HI

#15 Jun 22, 2008
The truth is and nobody seems to want to acknowledge it: Honolulu is a city that should have been designed for bicycle and pedestrian traffic, but was instead laid out along the lines of a small Los Angeles. Think about how neighborhoods are designed, think about how the streets are. Everybody talks about walking and biking, but for some it is not a consideration. Also how do you overcome DECADES of entitlement that the average US consumer feels is their right? I DESERVE to drive a car.
Old Hawaiian

Wailuku, HI

#16 Jun 22, 2008
This is Servco's chance to solidify their market on all things Toyota. All the Toyota dealers are Servco and their "consumer oriented ONE PRICE to HELP the people" is a joke. More like "take it or leave it". Thus, Hawaii's consumers stand in line for Toyota blood donations rather than shopping for an almost new model in the mainland and shipping it down. That's why used Toyotas are also so expensive. The original owners got ripped off from Servco. A recent survey figured that it takes 7 years or more to recoupe the price difference between a hybrid and non hybrid in gas savings. At that point it's break even but then the car's already 7 years old and due for repairs. Probably the best strategy is to keep the car you already have if it's paid for, drive less, and use alternative means of transportation.
Violet

Sterling, VA

#17 Jun 22, 2008
Now they will have to stop sending more cars here from the mainland and other places.Because we stop buying them.Start walking our island only small.Ride bike or take the bus
edward kelly

AOL

#18 Jun 22, 2008
Car sales are down. When does this
decline hit the travel industry with
the same impact. That is the only
question Hawaii has to think about
for the coming winter months.
Violet

Sterling, VA

#19 Jun 22, 2008
edward kelly wrote:
Car sales are down. When does this
decline hit the travel industry with
the same impact. That is the only
question Hawaii has to think about
for the coming winter months.
Honey there are not no winter months here.Only we worry about hurracanes here.
alice

Honolulu, HI

#20 Jun 22, 2008
Detroit has been making the wrong type of cars for far too long. Most of the quality alternatives the Detroit clunkers are Japanese.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Nissan Versa Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News 'Pretty awesome': Syracuse teen's car found aft... Jul '17 do Tell 1
AC button on versa not working (Aug '11) Sep '16 Danno 4
air box out, cone intake in. Help (Aug '16) Aug '16 Troy88 1
News Study: Hybrid, EV technologies compete with che... (Feb '16) Feb '16 Solarman 1
News Nissan Produces its 11 Millionth Engine in Agua... (Dec '15) Dec '15 is name esquivel_... 1
News U.S. Pricing and Specs for 2015 Nissan Versa Note (May '14) May '14 stellamathore 1
News Comparison Test : 2013 Hyundai Accent vs 2014 N... (Nov '13) Mar '14 sam 2
More from around the web