2002 altima not starting
thoward

Baltimore, MD

#21 May 4, 2010
Ron Malinowski Jr wrote:
I believe you have the known cold start issue, the engine floods itself, when you let it sit for a while the excess gas evaporates and the car is fine. Suggest next time it does it pull the fuel pump fuse, crank the engine over a few times, then put the fuse in and try starting it, this may allow the excess fuel to resolve itself otherwise let the car sit or pull the plugs and dry them off. No need to tow, its a stupid problem that Nissan wont correct.
i have a 2002 nissan altima with the same problem have vchange fuel pump crank sensors and nothing seems to work no longer than 2 weeks or less before it wont start again whatis th problem
Frank G

South Lake Tahoe, CA

#22 May 4, 2010
I have a 2001 altima that is having starting issues. The start cranks, but will not turn over. I do not smell any gas even after repeated tries to start. I replaced the fuel filter. Could it be the fuel pump? How hard are they to replace. Could it be a sensor or relay telling the fuel pump not to run? Thanks.
joe

Russell Springs, KY

#23 Jul 9, 2010
driving along last night in my 2002 nissan altima and suddenly my car just completely shut down and none of the interior lights will come on and neither will the exterior. checked the battery and its got all kinds of juice but nothing works. now my car is stuck in gear and my key in the ignition. what should i do?
charles

Lawrenceville, GA

#24 Jul 21, 2010
My 3 co workers all have Nissan Altimas from 02-06 and they have all had starting issues one after each other. It's the same issue. The crank sensor. They took their cars to Nissan and each had the crank sensor replaced. They are fine for now as the Nissan mechanic told one co worker that the cam sensor usually goes next so be prepared
Xfc

Acworth, GA

#25 Aug 5, 2010
My car only starts in the morninga and 30 minutes after sunsets when temp is 85 degrees. If temp is above it does not start. cam and crank has been replaced. NOTE: during the no-start condition, there is not spark on plugs...these are new ignition coils. Spark plug onlyu fires with the stated temp condition.
Andy

United States

#26 Aug 18, 2010
Ron Malinowski Jr wrote:
I believe you have the known cold start issue, the engine floods itself, when you let it sit for a while the excess gas evaporates and the car is fine. Suggest next time it does it pull the fuel pump fuse, crank the engine over a few times, then put the fuse in and try starting it, this may allow the excess fuel to resolve itself otherwise let the car sit or pull the plugs and dry them off. No need to tow, its a stupid problem that Nissan wont correct.
That TOTALLY worked!!!

The fuse for the fuel pump is below and left of the steering wheel with all the other fuses...bottom one on the left row of fuses.

When this happens DON'T try to give it gas and try to start it!!!

Take off the panel left and down from the steering wheel (just pops off) and get some pliers and pull the bottom on the left side.

Then crank over the engine without the fuse in and wait for a few minutes... Do it again.. Then put the fuse in and BLAM! It totally worked second try
kevin

Beeville, TX

#27 Sep 7, 2010
where is the fuel filter at on a 2002 nissan altima
zac

Jeffersonville, IN

#28 Sep 16, 2010
the fuel filter for the 3.5 is under the back seat. just pull the tab on the underside of the cushion, and there it is under the black plate. twist the four tabs and there it is. unplug the power connector and the feul line and all you have to do is lift it out and put new one in. you dont even need any tools. but the screw cap may be hard to get off so get another hand or a screw driver to help loosen it.
zac

Jeffersonville, IN

#29 Sep 16, 2010
sorry that was the pump, i cant find the filter either.
Van

Tallahassee, FL

#30 Jan 23, 2011
My 2002 Nissan Alitima won't start. I replaced the Crank sensor after the check engine line came on. How do I fix the problem? Should I replace the fuel pump?
acs

Nashville, TN

#31 Jan 24, 2011
CRANK SENSOR ! HAD THE SAME PROBLEM.
Summage

San Ramon, CA

#32 Apr 14, 2011
Z Girl wrote:
I have a 2002 SL 2.5 Nissan Altima and I think that I am having problems with the fuel pump because I changed my Spark Plugs on the car and they are the NGK or whatever they are called, but one of them are kind of stuck in the engine but my engine light is not on and it turns on just fine in the morning or when ever its just been sitting there for a while but if I get out and then try to get back in after leaving the store it hesitates to start help please
Did you get an answer for your problem?
mella

Farmington, MI

#33 Jul 1, 2011
Z Girl wrote:
I have a 2002 SL 2.5 Nissan Altima and I think that I am having problems with the fuel pump because I changed my Spark Plugs on the car and they are the NGK or whatever they are called, but one of them are kind of stuck in the engine but my engine light is not on and it turns on just fine in the morning or when ever its just been sitting there for a while but if I get out and then try to get back in after leaving the store it hesitates to start help please
I am having the same problem. Where you able to get the car repaired. I am having no luck at this time. I have replaced the alternator and battery.
Ellen

Newbury Park, CA

#34 Jul 6, 2011
My 2002 sl 2.5 nissan altima wont start, I ended up having it towed. The thing I noticed when I kept trying to start it was the smell of gas. Also when I drive my car doesnt shut off on me the weird thing is I lose the power of gas and I have to pull over shut the car off and turn it back on again. Please help me understand my problem.
rafi Rays Mobile

Chicago, IL

#35 Jul 8, 2011
No spark My wife's '93 Altima died the other day. a question , do you have coils or distribuitor ???
Bob

Taunton, MA

#36 Jul 18, 2011
Posting this in case it is useful to someone someday. I have a 2001 Altima w 150K+ miles that just stopped running while going down the highway. Had it towed home and checked it out. Engine would crank and try but not start. First suspect was the cam/crank sensor, but I was getting spark, so that wasn't it. Next suspect was the fuel pump or fuel filter, but fuel was getting through. Checked the service code (p0420), which pointed to the catalytic convertor. That wasn't consistent with a sudden engine failure, so we removed the distributor cap, and found a loose screw inside. Turned out to be the screw that aligned the rotor, which must not have been tightened properly at the last major service, loosened, and finally came out. The distributor cap wasn't destroyed, so the screw hadn't been loose long. Rotating the rotor, inserting (and tightening!) the screw, replacing the cap, and the Altima started right up.

Kudos to Darrell. Total cost of repair:$0 plus a sixpack.
ANTHONY

Mentone, CA

#37 Jul 20, 2011
MY 2005 NISSAN ALTIMA SE 3.5 NO SPARK TO SPARK PLUG HELP PLEASE CHECK FUSE RELAY EVERYTHING GOOD STILL NO SPARK SPARK PLUG
trigger adams

Baxley, GA

#38 Jul 28, 2011
and need a hand with a Nissan Altima 2.5 l 4 cyl . It cranks but will not start. It has dead head 51 psi fuel pressure at pump. It shows on Snapon solus 88 cranking rpms. It will spark coils one time. No security light on while cranking and security light flashes when vehicle switched off. No visible stupid stuff like loose engine and pcm grounds , no corroded terminals in engine harness.

I found a hard to restart cold soak problem TSB. It said change starter clean FI’s and Reflash PCM. History; engine was replaced (when? Don’t know), had a crank POS sensor put on in another shop 1 year ago. The other shop charged the customer $34.00 for the crank POS sensor. So I’m sure it came from ADVANCE or ORIELY’S. What do you think? POS or STARTER low rpms? I would think it would need to turn more than 88 rpm’s to trigger coils. Matter of fact its initial crank rpm’s is 100 then drops to 88. Kind of lends to bad starter. How would I rig a old snap on timing light up to see what it says is RPM’s ? I don’t have spark so I cannot jerry rig a spark plug wire from coil pack to plug to pick up rpm. I might need to find a photo tachometer and try to get true rpm’s off crank pulley.

part of an email i sent to another technician. I think this car has a bad starter even though it sounds ok. its actually turning too slow. Nissan put out a TSB to fix this problem and replacing the starter was the issue.
Sue

United States

#39 Aug 10, 2011
Richard Perez wrote:
my 02 altima stalled and cut off plus on the freeway it was histating alot
I'm having the same problem with my 02 Altima, a friend took it to a shop I was told throttle position sensor, I changed the throttle boddy assembly but having problems with idle but I have a feeling it wont correct problem if you have any luck please let me know. [email protected] (sub line put 02 altima)Thanks
Brian Carr

Dallas, TX

#40 Aug 14, 2011
Ron, you are THE MAN! The fuse trick works! For those asking, on my 2005 Altima the fuse is the 10 amp (tiny red) fuse at the bottom. Inside the car, lower dash on drivers side pull the fuse cover, there is a diagram that shows which fuse is which.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Nissan Altima Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Altima 2002 Jan 17 Sam 1
Windows Go Down By Themselves (Jul '06) Jan 6 Edlive 129
2003 Altima running rough (Jul '10) Dec 25 Nathan G 6
Frustrated and fed up with 2001 Nissan Altima Dec '16 Mindy 1
2006 Altima is Missing and flooding Dec '16 thebroomrider 1
02 Altima 3.5 just a click, no start Oct '16 Frustrating 1
New to forum and Altima's Oct '16 TBudx3 1
More from around the web