2002 altima not starting
First Prev
of 7
Next Last
bike

Cornell, MI

#1 Jun 5, 2007
02 nissan altima will start very well most of the time but once in a while it will not start at all.
Engine cranks over perfectly
fuel pump sounds like to is pumping when key is turned
tachometer does not rise from zero when cranking engine
try a couple of hours later it starts
acts the same when engine is warm or cold
Ron Malinowski Jr

Georgetown, KY

#2 Jun 27, 2007
I believe you have the known cold start issue, the engine floods itself, when you let it sit for a while the excess gas evaporates and the car is fine. Suggest next time it does it pull the fuel pump fuse, crank the engine over a few times, then put the fuse in and try starting it, this may allow the excess fuel to resolve itself otherwise let the car sit or pull the plugs and dry them off. No need to tow, its a stupid problem that Nissan wont correct.
Dan-o

Spokane, WA

#3 Oct 22, 2007
i have a 02 altima 3.5 se with a no start, replaced the IPDMS module and still no start. crank no start. it runs for a sec. and dies.... any ideas?
bobby

United States

#4 Nov 19, 2007
Ron Malinowski Jr wrote:
I believe you have the known cold start issue, the engine floods itself, when you let it sit for a while the excess gas evaporates and the car is fine. Suggest next time it does it pull the fuel pump fuse, crank the engine over a few times, then put the fuse in and try starting it, this may allow the excess fuel to resolve itself otherwise let the car sit or pull the plugs and dry them off. No need to tow, its a stupid problem that Nissan wont correct.
where is the fuel pump fuse???
bobby

United States

#5 Nov 19, 2007
where on the car is the fuel pump fuse???
MEP

Daly City, CA

#6 Mar 9, 2008
When I pull the fuse to get the fumes out it still won't work now what? Mine is an '05! HELP!!!
Richard Perez

Woodland Hills, CA

#7 Jun 25, 2008
my 02 altima stalled and cut off plus on the freeway it was histating alot
Z Girl

United States

#8 Aug 1, 2008
I have a 2002 SL 2.5 Nissan Altima and I think that I am having problems with the fuel pump because I changed my Spark Plugs on the car and they are the NGK or whatever they are called, but one of them are kind of stuck in the engine but my engine light is not on and it turns on just fine in the morning or when ever its just been sitting there for a while but if I get out and then try to get back in after leaving the store it hesitates to start help please
SRD

West Warwick, RI

#9 Aug 5, 2008
Richard Perez wrote:
my 02 altima stalled and cut off plus on the freeway it was histating alot
your 02 Altima needs a crank sensor
Joe

Woodburn, OR

#10 Aug 13, 2008
will pulling the fuel pump fuse fix the cold start problem?,if not how do u fix it?????????
kim

Columbus, OH

#11 Sep 12, 2008
i ran my 02 altima out of gas. after filling up it started fine ran for maybe two-three minutes went dead and will not start. It is not getting any fuel to carb and i can not hear the fuel pump run, is there a fuel rest switch.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Celena

United States

#12 Sep 19, 2008
I have a 2002 Nissan Altima 2.5 4 cylinder. I'am having problems with the car not cranking. Had it hooked up to a computer and it showed idle air control unit, but have been told that this part doesn't have anything to do with it not cranking. Please help. I've researched crankshaft sensors and everything trying to figure out what I need to do.
soooo fustrated

Addison, TX

#13 Sep 29, 2008
I'm having the same problem as well. I changed both the crank sensors. It worked fine for a day, but then started again. I'm going to try the removing the fuse and cranking thing...
1. If it works is there nothing i can do but repeat this process everytime?
2. If it doesn't work are there any other suggestions...
No spark

Bethlehem, PA

#14 Nov 3, 2008
My wife's '93 Altima died the other day. Removed spark plug and checked for spark-nothing
Removed coil wire from distributor-no spark
Went to the j-yark and got coils and power transistor changed them out, still no spark.
Picked up a used distrbutor- no spark. The "Chilton's" manual is just about worth toilet paper. Anybody have any suggestions?
jeff

Stamford, CT

#15 Nov 13, 2009
bike wrote:
02 nissan altima will start very well most of the time but once in a while it will not start at all.
Engine cranks over perfectly
fuel pump sounds like to is pumping when key is turned
tachometer does not rise from zero when cranking engine
try a couple of hours later it starts
acts the same when engine is warm or cold
you have a coolant leak in one of your cylinder sleeves i had the same thing try using a coolint sealer that seals all. sold at car quest it worked for me its their own brand cost about 5 bucks
jeff

Stamford, CT

#16 Nov 13, 2009
trying to locate signal relay on my 2002 altima signals work outside but do not flash on dashboard
toni

Los Alamos, NM

#17 Dec 19, 2009
nisson willnot start have check the battery and changed the plllugs
Barry C

Hurst, TX

#18 Jan 1, 2010
Ron you were correct in your assessment. I pulled the fuel injector fuse and crank it a few times, put it back in and it started up. Thanks for the information. You saved me a tow trip.
Ron Malinowski Jr wrote:
raj

Union, NJ

#19 Jan 29, 2010
I have a 2002 nissan altima 3.5 L se it would start fine runs for while and then shut off .what is the problem?
raj

Union, NJ

#20 Jan 29, 2010
Where is the fuel pump fuse ?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 7
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Nissan Altima Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
car want start Sep 12 todd 1
Windows Go Down By Themselves (Jul '06) Sep 12 eekeeping 141
Motor and trans swap Aug 30 Rhino 1
2000 Altima Se engine tick. Please help Aug '17 Compton 1
What size are the exhaust pipes on 2009 altima Jul '17 Yo_dyldo 1
Replacement 5 button key fob programing Jun '17 larrysf150 1
Need help please May '17 Bdarr83 2
More from around the web