Temperature spikes and then drops bac...

Temperature spikes and then drops back to normal

Posted in the Lincoln LS Forum

Michael

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#1 Dec 15, 2010
After about five minutes of driving, the temperature gauge goes up to hot, warning comes on with engine power reduced and then a minute or two later, drops back down to normal. Car does not appear to be overheating.
henry ford 13

Apache Junction, AZ

#2 Jan 26, 2011
thermostat or low on coolant
Frank

AOL

#3 Jan 26, 2011
Michael wrote:
After about five minutes of driving, the temperature gauge goes up to hot, warning comes on with engine power reduced and then a minute or two later, drops back down to normal. Car does not appear to be overheating.
The car IS overheating but the computer is putting engine into "limp home" mode meaning cut power. When you make power you make HEAT. You have a coolant leak somewhere and the engine is loosing coolant prime. So no coolant flow. LS's cannot have any leaks or they will do this. If V8 check coolant tank,therm housing, therm.
johnny

AOL

#4 Feb 1, 2011
i had the same problem replacing the thermostat didnt fix the problem on mine then i did the waterpump and that solved it 180.00 for the thermostat 370.00 for the waterpump you could also have the the fan checked the 2002 and older have a hydraulic fan which works but it doesnt always ram up when needed good luck hope the info helps

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Lincoln LS Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Lincoln LS Owners: Problems & Solutions (Apr '06) Jul 2 tutley1 2,469
HELP FRANK PLZ!! 2002 LS/Engine Sensor data err... Jul 2 a2robbie 2
2003 lincoln ls v6 ABS Module Jul 1 RMaese 1
transmission slip ecode comes on Jun 28 john 1
News Ask the Auto Doctor (Mar '06) Jun 19 Dalton 1,538
Lincoln LS Sucks!! (Apr '08) Jun 19 Kingj 282
Project lincoln ls v6 133k Jun 14 Hitman75th 1
More from around the web