Toyota’s Reputation DROPS among US Car Buyers

Dec 14, 2010 | Posted by: JJFADS | Full story: www.autonews.com

An increasing number of new-car shoppers are staying away from Toyota showrooms because of the company's quality and safety problems, according to a study by J.D. Power and Associates.

Comments
1 - 20 of 238 Comments Last updated Feb 24, 2011
First Prev
of 12
Next Last

“Most Honored Senior Member ”

Since: Jun 09

Dallas, TX.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 14, 2010

Judged:

It must have something to do with the massive recalls.

Dallas, TX.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 14, 2010

recall?
Pete

Holland, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 14, 2010

Judged:

Well that's a half truth there...

after all the recalls resulted in Toyota building their cars not only better but also to last longer...

as they are better quality built cars and there are many more of them staying on the roads for longer...

in which reminds me of the snow storm we had last week while I was driving home...

and I was amazed to see and in wonderment by all those fords and chevys I noticed that were involved in slide offs but not 1 Toyota or Honda did I see.

hmmm...:D of

Dallas, TX.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 14, 2010

Judged:

I hear Toyota just recalled the Sienna. Is this true?

“Just Visiting”

Since: Dec 07

Detroit

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 15, 2010

Judged:

I think it's the rapidity with which they recalled cars and the embarrassing initial recall when it seemed it would never end. Toyota is not on my list of cars to buy.
Stop It

Windsor, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 15, 2010

Judged:

Toyota's ills have more to do with unrelenting negative publicity.

No matter what anyone says herein, most of this is brought about by a surge in protectionist philosophy by the US media, Politicians, Unions, and Domestic Automakers.
And the Tort Litigators are in a sharklike feeding frenzy circling on the perimeter of all of it.

The reality is they still build cars which are as good or in some cases better than all the others.

Sorry folks, but that's the cold hard reality.

Since: Apr 08

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 15, 2010

Judged:

Pete wrote:
Well that's a half truth there...
after all the recalls resulted in Toyota building their cars not only better but also to last longer...
as they are better quality built cars and there are many more of them staying on the roads for longer...
in which reminds me of the snow storm we had last week while I was driving home...
and I was amazed to see and in wonderment by all those fords and chevys I noticed that were involved in slide offs but not 1 Toyota or Honda did I see.
hmmm...:D of
Maybe Toyota cars couldn't make it out of there driveways? Come on, the make of the vehicle has little to do with sliding off the road. It comes down to a few factors, 1. The driver, can they handle the weather. 2. Drive train, is the vehicle front wheel, rear wheel or four wheel drive. 3. Traction, tires, tread, inflation and proper weighting.

Driving from Lansing to Detroit Sunday, I watched a Toyota 4Runner drive past me. As he pasted the chevy Malibu, he did a 540 (one and a half circles) hitting the chevy in the drivers front corner with his drivers front corner. The Toyota did another 360 in the opposite direction and then across a lane and into to the ditch backwards. The Chevy never left his lane and easily managed to stop his car.

Now back to the news article. It was about REPUTATION survey for new buyers. Mainly due to all the recalls and attempted cover-ups by Toyota. The survey was for people buying new cars. Also since the attitude about not buying foreign drop from 32% to 16%, it not "buy American" either.

Reread the article and ask yourself; Why was Toyota the only one to drop so far when so many (including other foreign companies) raised?
Government Foe

Dearborn, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 15, 2010

Judged:

Stop It wrote:
No matter what anyone says herein, most of this is brought about by a surge in protectionist philosophy by the US media, Politicians, Unions, and Domestic Automakers.
And the Tort Litigators are in a sharklike feeding frenzy circling on the perimeter of all of it.
The reality is they still build cars which are as good or in some cases better than all the others.
The cold hard reality pisses some people off and thus, they prefer to see the world in their imaginary bias state.

Through all the recalls and slight drop in favoritism, they still remain above average in consumer satisfaction behind Ford and Honda, yet remain much ahead of GM who is below average.

Toyota may have dropped, but they are FAR from being out and VERY FAR from bankruptcy which was predicted by one.
Stop It

Windsor, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 15, 2010

Judged:

To "Poetic Justice" (Great Username BTW)

The decline in Toyota's fortunes has more to do with "Poetry" and far less to do with "Justice" in my opinion.

That said--re your comment about road stability in snowstorms:.........

We've just gone through a bad one--not far from here there's a local highway (4 lane--400 series arterial between Sarnia and London Ontario) where over 300 vehicles were stranded because of extreme snow conditions.
Many drivers and passengers had to be rescued by helicopter and specialized military vehicles.

Interestingly, over 90 percent of the stranded vehicles got there because drivers ignored barriers which were posted prior to the snowsrorm closing the highway.

So in my opinion, that demonstrates how most of these situations where people get into trouble during winter conditions---is mainly due to drivers not exercising due care and attention, and far less due to the vehicle's ability (or lack of) to handle those conditions!
Anonymous

Montgomery, AL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 15, 2010

Judged:

Hahahahahahaha, Good!

Toyotas are Jap garbage.
Girard

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 15, 2010

Judged:

Toyota is falling apart at the seems piece by piece. This is what happens when you build a business on perception and perfection while the auto media was in your pocket. Now we find Toyota hid their recalls for many years thus many believed they made reliable cars. The only difference in Toyota today from 7 years ago is they now must recall the cars publicly.
Pete

Grand Rapids, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 15, 2010

Judged:

Poetic Justice wrote:
<quoted text>
Maybe Toyota cars couldn't make it out of there driveways? Come on, the make of the vehicle has little to do with sliding off the road. It comes down to a few factors, 1. The driver, can they handle the weather. 2. Drive train, is the vehicle front wheel, rear wheel or four wheel drive. 3. Traction, tires, tread, inflation and proper weighting.
Driving from Lansing to Detroit Sunday, I watched a Toyota 4Runner drive past me. As he pasted the chevy Malibu, he did a 540 (one and a half circles) hitting the chevy in the drivers front corner with his drivers front corner. The Toyota did another 360 in the opposite direction and then across a lane and into to the ditch backwards. The Chevy never left his lane and easily managed to stop his car.
Now back to the news article. It was about REPUTATION survey for new buyers. Mainly due to all the recalls and attempted cover-ups by Toyota. The survey was for people buying new cars. Also since the attitude about not buying foreign drop from 32% to 16%, it not "buy American" either.
Reread the article and ask yourself; Why was Toyota the only one to drop so far when so many (including other foreign companies) raised?
Yes your analogy here is quite true and accurate ...

So what you're saying is for chevys to blame it on the driver like Toyota found most of their problem to be in many cases or was it just because that certain parts were found to be made in America were deficient I ask you...

Tell us again what it is about the mailbu besides being a Toyota Clone in appearance only that makes it sell even after you see all of those slip offs in fresh snow ...

My Acura and wifeys Lexus and daughters Prius do just fine in the stuff when getting out of the driveway and unto the roads especially in the fresh snow thank you.

Back to the story of course and yes and it's a funny one for that matter ...

The story doesn't say anything about there being many more Toyota's and Honda's already on the roads of America than what the big 3 of detroit crap can even sell or build as yet for years to come, let alone if ever, as they don't even need to sell near as many to prove that point. Besides that they are paying their own way to start with ...

Yes good point, as this story is all about having to sell a certain amount just to get into the market, isn't it ...

That's all laughable to start with and will continue to be for so many more years to come. Keep it up there story makers...:D
Marge

Grand Rapids, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 15, 2010

JJFADS wrote:
I hear Toyota just recalled the Sienna. Is this true?
365,000 seems like all they made in 2 years.
www.woodtv.com/dpp/your_money/auto_news/large... -

Dallas, TX.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 15, 2010

Judged:

Government Foe wrote:
<quoted text>
The cold hard reality pisses some people off and thus, they prefer to see the world in their imaginary bias state.
Through all the recalls and slight drop in favoritism, they still remain above average in consumer satisfaction behind Ford and Honda, yet remain much ahead of GM who is below average.
Toyota may have dropped, but they are FAR from being out and VERY FAR from bankruptcy which was predicted by one.
I said they would never again attain the market they once had in the US and that is exactly what’s happening. With every recall they lose more customers. Certainly you don’t expect to wake up one morning and find Toyota has dropped in “every” category do you? This type of self destruction takes time. Sit back, relax, and enjoy the ride. It’s a fun one.

Dallas, TX.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 15, 2010

Stop It wrote:
This is statistically reliable market research that clearly shows a pattern.
Pete

Grand Rapids, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 15, 2010

Judged:

That's very well spoken for an inheritable welfare recipient like you there ...

who hasn't a chance to drive your mommas old chevy let alone buy a new one because she said no.

Whereas the only statistics that I can see of today are those fords who are being recalled for breaking axles and those Malibu's who are involved in all those slide offs every time it snows and 367,000 others... but that's just today.

Yes and not only that but concerning your point there I see lots of Toyota's and Honda's already on the roads and doing just fine in the snow as we toot each other from time to time while passing.

If what you are asking here is why would they need to sell any more than what they already do, I would suggest for you to ask anyone who owns a detroit big 3 piece of crap for that answer. Why ?...

because those who already know need not say it any more to the likes of those who don't yet...

This is a free world and they can always buy a Toyota or Honda to find out on their own.

Until then,:D .
Government Foe

Madison Heights, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 15, 2010

JJFADS wrote:
<quoted text> I said they would never again attain the market they once had in the US and that is exactly what’s happening. With every recall they lose more customers. Certainly you don’t expect to wake up one morning and find Toyota has dropped in “every” category do you? This type of self destruction takes time. Sit back, relax, and enjoy the ride. It’s a fun one.
I can find your quotes if need be, but you claimed bankruptcy, which will never partake while you're alive.

Dallas, TX.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 15, 2010

Get phonics fast.
Government Foe

Madison Heights, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 15, 2010

JJFADS wrote:
Get phonics fast.
http://www.topix.com/forum/detroit/T5LVEEN66P...

“" the original con_tiki " ”

Since: Aug 07

Oakville, Ontario, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 15, 2010

Judged:

I will repeat what I have already said about Toyota.....

Toyota will come out of all these recalls and do well from them but Toyota is also setting the a example of what is expected from all automakers in the future.......

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 12
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Kia Sorento Discussions

Search the Kia Sorento Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Defective Manual Transmission (Nov '06) Apr '14 Maria Salum 9
Used Vehicle Review: Kia Sorento, 2003-2009 (Sep '13) Sep '13 Kia Kemper 1
Kia parts supplier Mobis to recruit for 250 pro... (Jan '10) Nov '12 Valintine Murphy 6
EPA red-flags Hyundai Elantra, Kia Sorento, 11 ... (Nov '12) Nov '12 truthbtold 1
Auto review: 2009 Kia Borrego EX (Jan '09) Mar '12 Anonymous 8
The Little Toyota that Could-An Emotional Story (Dec '10) Mar '12 Root 13
Kia To Introduce Third Shift At Zilina Factory (Sep '11) Mar '12 davidwarner 8
•••

Buy a New Car

Zipcode:
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••