Gas promo fuels interest

Gas promo fuels interest

There are 17 comments on the Akron Beacon Journal story from May 20, 2008, titled Gas promo fuels interest. In it, Akron Beacon Journal reports that:

Chrysler says $2.99-a-gallon guarantee increases showroom traffic by 20% Published on Wednesday, May 21, 2008 Toledo Blade Chrysler LLC officials say their two-week-old $2.99 gas guarantee is doing exactly what ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Akron Beacon Journal.

westside johnny

Ravenna, OH

#1 May 21, 2008
they must have known something awhile ago that gas would never dip below three dollars. did the oil companies tell them it was a safe bet
SDespot

Avon Lake, OH

#2 May 21, 2008
Make it $1.99 and you'll see even better than 20% traffic. In fact, you might even get some more sales.
Alexandra

Wooster, OH

#4 May 21, 2008
Offer gas for 50 cents and we'll talk.

You know they're making up for this somehow. I doubt anyone's saving anything.
Sonofnone

Akron, OH

#5 May 21, 2008
I think it just goes to show how much money Chrysler is really making despite their "loss" in sales. There not hurting no matter what you here in the news. I have always said that the automotive industry was in bed with the oil guys. Ever wonder why your car never goes more than 300 miles or so on a tank of gas? Or why when a car alledgedly get 30mpg it only has 10 or 11 gallon tank? Gasoline is heavy but not that heavy you couldn't have 20 gallon tank.
Something Wicked

Stow, OH

#6 May 21, 2008
A crude marketing tool. For the crude tool in bed with big oil. It's good if you can get it.
Insider news was a felony for Martha Stewart.
If the banks can get a way with it, so can these dealerships.
foster home

Canton, OH

#7 May 21, 2008
Alexandra wrote:
You're right. You either take the gas promo or the cash back. It all sounds good when they say they are going to pay for your gas but do the math, you'll be better off taking the cash back incentive.
no thinking involved

Owings, MD

#8 May 21, 2008
do the math:
12,000 per year at 20mpg = 600 gallons of gas
At $4.99 per gallon that is $2 per gallon or $1,200 per year you save, maximum. At 3 years, that is $3,600.(And at $3.99 per gallon, the savings is half that).
Now, figure the rebates of $5,500 on some vehicles, who is making out on this? You or Chrysler? Cuz I'm sure you won't get both!

Since: Apr 08

Vermilion, OH

#9 May 21, 2008
Is it a requirement to finance through Chrysler/Dodge to get this promo? They are definitely not a dumb enough company to take a loss by offering this. Read the fine print.
Whos Free

United States

#11 May 21, 2008
They have to do something to try and sell their junk vehicles. People with half a brain know not to go out and buy a Chrysler product due to their poor quality.
City Worker

Dayton, OH

#12 May 21, 2008
no thinking involved wrote:
do the math:
12,000 per year at 20mpg = 600 gallons of gas
At $4.99 per gallon that is $2 per gallon or $1,200 per year you save, maximum. At 3 years, that is $3,600.(And at $3.99 per gallon, the savings is half that).
Now, figure the rebates of $5,500 on some vehicles, who is making out on this? You or Chrysler? Cuz I'm sure you won't get both!
Do the math with a compact car, like one that actually gets 30mpg on the highway. But EPA for that car is 34mpg, so Chrysler will use 34mpg. That's about 350 gallons at 12,000 miles, so you would save $350-750 per year, or $1050-2250 over 3 years. MUCH less than the $5500 rebate. Not to mention it isn't a big help to people who drive a lot more than 12,000 miles per year.

Bet it only works on big SUVs----everyone else should take the rebate.
Ahau Kin

Maumelle, AR

#13 May 21, 2008
"Ever wonder why your car never goes more than 300 miles or so on a tank of gas? Or why when a car alledgedly get 30mpg it only has 10 or 11 gallon tank? Gasoline is heavy but not that heavy you couldn't have 20 gallon tank."

It has to do with the physical design of the car. Many vehicles use, as a standard, a 10 or 12 gallon tank. Changing this would mean costly redesigns to the undercarriage of the vehicle.

A larger tank also increases the hazard of rupture, spillage and fire in an auto accident.

It also has to do with the fact that only about 5 percent of the energy in your gasoline actually makes it to the drive wheels as rotational force. The internal combustion engine is notoriously inefficient in terms of energy use.

Since: May 08

Johnston, SC

#14 May 21, 2008
i've had three dodge dakota's the first gave me 284,000 miles then the air conditioner went out so i traded it in on a 98, it gave me 246,000 miles until an illegal mexican ran a stop sign my truck was paid for of course he didn't have insurance, now i have a 06 dakota it's been a great truck my parents have a 96 grand caravan with 314,000 miles going strong you have to take care of them and they'll last. now with this gas deal i'll trade mine for a 08 dodge dakota
Ryan

Akron, OH

#15 May 21, 2008
Ahau Kin wrote:
"Ever wonder why your car never goes more than 300 miles or so on a tank of gas? Or why when a car alledgedly get 30mpg it only has 10 or 11 gallon tank? Gasoline is heavy but not that heavy you couldn't have 20 gallon tank."
It has to do with the physical design of the car. Many vehicles use, as a standard, a 10 or 12 gallon tank. Changing this would mean costly redesigns to the undercarriage of the vehicle.
A larger tank also increases the hazard of rupture, spillage and fire in an auto accident.
It also has to do with the fact that only about 5 percent of the energy in your gasoline actually makes it to the drive wheels as rotational force. The internal combustion engine is notoriously inefficient in terms of energy use.
The gas engine is inefficient compared to what? Do you have a more efficient alternative that is widely available? I'd be interested in buying it. Otherwise, you're just jabbering for no particular reason.
JESSIEKA84

United States

#17 May 21, 2008
Whos Free wrote:
They have to do something to try and sell their junk vehicles. People with half a brain know not to go out and buy a Chrysler product due to their poor quality.
the money people "save" on gas, they spend fixing the hunks of junk. I owned a dodge for 5 years... biggest waste of money. Thank you to Honda... I love my accord!
SDespot

Bedford, OH

#19 May 21, 2008
JESSIEKA84 wrote:
<quoted text>
the money people "save" on gas, they spend fixing the hunks of junk. I owned a dodge for 5 years... biggest waste of money. Thank you to Honda... I love my accord!
Back in the 70's and 80's, Dodge, Chrysler, and Plymouth used MOPAR parts in their cars. They used to say that this stood in short for "MORE PARTS."
Sonofnone

Akron, OH

#20 May 21, 2008
Ryan wrote:
<quoted text>
The gas engine is inefficient compared to what? Do you have a more efficient alternative that is widely available? I'd be interested in buying it. Otherwise, you're just jabbering for no particular reason.
An alternantive isn't in the the Big 3's vocabulary. You have to go out side of the Big 3. I driving a Toyota Prius. I love it. Why doesn't GM or Chrysler or Ford offer anything like that? It can't be becuase their not capable.
dreamer

Pueblo, CO

#24 Oct 10, 2011
Alexandra wrote:
keep dreamin, never in our life times.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Jeep Wrangler Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Jeep's small models to soldier on Tue Jabba 5
News Jeep Trailcat Is the 707-hp Hellcat-Powered Wra... Mar '16 jeephellcatisago 5
Modifications to 3.8 Jan '16 Don Bahr 1
News Connie Schultz: Pope Francis goes to Washington (Nov '15) Nov '15 Ritual Habitual 1
News The Snake Returns to Chrysler Group's Conner Av... (Dec '11) Sep '15 We Lost 7
Jeep 2k wrangler bad fuel economy (Nov '06) Aug '15 LBG23 49
News 2007-12 Jeep Wrangler & 2013 Dodge Dart Investi... (Jun '15) Jun '15 JSantoli 1
More from around the web