Who to trust (Power Steering Problems...
rocky

Norcross, GA

#21 Dec 7, 2009
I seem to be having trouble with my 2002 Jeep Liberty 44000 miles. The noise gets louder on realy cold days and practically disapears on warm days.I am chane driver belt,bat is same.Summer dont noise. Can anyone offer a fix?
niesha

Silver Spring, MD

#22 Dec 9, 2009
We are having the same exact problem with our 2002 jeep libery we took it to a local shop and they told us that the pinions, steering rack and the pump hose and everything was shot costing 2500. I thought that was a little crazy so I took it to les schwab and they told me it was the pinions and steering rack so I don't know either
Frustrated wrote:
I took my 2002 Jeep Liberty into the local dealership a few weeks ago for a moaning/whining shound when turning the steering wheel.
The dealer said it was the power steering pump and replaced it.
Three weeks later the noise is back. I notice all the power steering fluid is gone. I take it to another Jeep dealership and they said a hose was not hooked up correctly causing the leak but also said the Steering Rack and Pinions were messed up.
I call and let the first dealership know about this and they said to bring it in and they will fix the situation.
I just got a call and they confirmed that the hose was hooked up wrong and put a new one in. However, they said there is nothing wrong with the Steering Rack and Pinions.
Someone is lying and I know nothing about cars and am not sure who to trust.
Any thoughts or suggestions?
niesha

Silver Spring, MD

#23 Dec 9, 2009
rocky wrote:
I seem to be having trouble with my 2002 Jeep Liberty 44000 miles. The noise gets louder on realy cold days and practically disapears on warm days.I am chane driver belt,bat is same.Summer dont noise. Can anyone offer a fix?
Get your power steering checked that's what they told us
niesha

Silver Spring, MD

#24 Dec 9, 2009
charmm wrote:
Have a 2002 Jeep Liberty , just told the Rack and Pinion is out and must b replaced , it is a very expensive job , how commone is this with the Jeep Liberty's ?
Could it be something else ?
Very common everyone has the same problem les schwab charges 800
ransford

New York, NY

#25 Dec 14, 2009
Jerri wrote:
My Jeep is doing the same thing, what did you find out?
you need a new power steering pressure sensor
ransford

United States

#26 Dec 23, 2009
check your pressure sensor and replaced it if its bad. then removed the power steering reservoir cover then drive the vehicle for an hour until your purge the air from the system or the noise stops then put your cover back on.
Martin

Stephenville, TX

#27 Dec 31, 2009
What is wrong with the p/s hose purchased from Auto Zone? I just bought a ps hose from Auto Zone and the noise got louder and it's still leaking.
Kim

Nashville, TN

#28 Jan 5, 2010
For the past two months, I have been hearing the same hollow whining noise in my front when I turned. It got progressively worse and today I took it to Firestone. They gave me the bad news that I needed to replace my power steering rack and pump. The job is going to cost me almost 1100 and I think Jeep should be alerted about this problem. I have been on several other sites where Jeep Liberty owners are saying that after owning their car for 3-7 years, it's had this problem where the PS rack seal comes loose, causing the power steering fluid to leak and then subsequently, the power steering pump becomes jeopardized.
marc

Mountain City, TN

#29 Jan 10, 2010
My father has an '04 Jeep Liberty making the same power steering noise when the weather is cold. Once it warms up, the noise goes away. When I opened the cover on the reservoir, I noticed that the fluid is frothy. One site I looked at suggested putting the fluid level slightly above the full mark to solve the problem. Has anyone tried this?
Dennis

Decatur, GA

#30 Jan 11, 2010
marc wrote:
My father has an '04 Jeep Liberty making the same power steering noise when the weather is cold. Once it warms up, the noise goes away. When I opened the cover on the reservoir, I noticed that the fluid is frothy. One site I looked at suggested putting the fluid level slightly above the full mark to solve the problem. Has anyone tried this?
I also own a 04' Jeep liberty limited, and I have the same exact problem.....this is crazy. Up until now, I have never had ANY problems out of this truck. However, from the looks of it, if this is the issue, it seems to be very expensive and honestly to pay over $1,000 for this is rediculas for a JEEP, something American made. Anyways, I will try your solution, by filling the fluid level above the mark. Its strange because the other day it was cold and I went to warm my car up and when I came back, I saw a puddle or what looked like water coming from underneath my car and the air certainly was not on, I wonder if it had anything to do with this. I dont think this is a car Im gonna have much longer...its very sneaky, one day its serviced and everything looks good and the next day its making LOUD humming noises?
dennis

Mount Gilead, OH

#31 Jan 23, 2010
Frothy steering fluid is usually contaminated fluids as in two diffrent types that is incompatable. i wouldn't think that could happen these days. maybe you can replace it.
Dan

United States

#32 Mar 4, 2010
I have recently run into the same problem with my power steering (as well as a snowbank) in my 04 Renegade, along with many others issues. Anyway I did some searching online and came across this article that might be ablt to answer mine and your problem. heres the link

http://www.jpmagazine.com/techarticles/suspen...

I'll try it for myself this weekend.
Laura

Erie, PA

#33 Mar 19, 2010
I own a 2005 Jeep Liberty, 49,500 miles. Today, the dealership diagnosed the reason for my power steering fluid lead is due to the power steering rack leaking. Quoted me $1700+ to make this repair. I am appauled. We own 4 Jeeps in this family and unless I get some sort of help from Jeep on this repair, we will not own another Jeep. This repair cost is outrageous. My son's 1997 Cherokee Sport doesn't have this kind of problem. I am very disappointed. I wonder if any others have had this same diagnosis on their Liberty or Jeeps for that matter and how many have there been. I wonder if there is a pattern to this???? Please respond if you have.
charmm wrote:
Have a 2002 Jeep Liberty , just told the Rack and Pinion is out and must b replaced , it is a very expensive job , how commone is this with the Jeep Liberty's ?
Could it be something else ?
Laura

Erie, PA

#34 Mar 19, 2010
Hi,
I wondered if you had the repairs made to the PS rack on your Liberty. I want you to know that I have contacted Jeep about this problem because I too have the same diagnosis on my 2005 Jeep Liberty with 49,500 miles. I was quoted $1700+ to make these repairs by a Jeep dealership just today. I am so disgusted. Thanks
Kim wrote:
For the past two months, I have been hearing the same hollow whining noise in my front when I turned. It got progressively worse and today I took it to Firestone. They gave me the bad news that I needed to replace my power steering rack and pump. The job is going to cost me almost 1100 and I think Jeep should be alerted about this problem. I have been on several other sites where Jeep Liberty owners are saying that after owning their car for 3-7 years, it's had this problem where the PS rack seal comes loose, causing the power steering fluid to leak and then subsequently, the power steering pump becomes jeopardized.
David

Saint Petersburg, FL

#35 Apr 24, 2010
Where I can buy the o ring for p/s pump for jeep liberty sport 2003
Bobby Ft Collins CO

Fort Collins, CO

#36 May 15, 2010
2002 Liberty. Started noticing a significant power steerign leak about 3 months ago. No whining, but making a big mess. I drained the system to put in some stop leak fluid and now have the whining. The leak has slowed but is not gone. If you follow the power steering systme it seems Jeep put 3 miles of hoses in there that run all over th place. No wonder they all leak.
Joe

Maple Grove, MN

#37 May 25, 2010
It could be all of thease problems that everyone of you could have and if you take any vehicle to a auto tech. do your home work before letting anyone touch your vehicle. If you have really good friends that are ase certified or gear heads as friend let them look at it they will give it to you straight. Never Ever trust a person that is just looking at dollars. If it cost more at one place than the other ask questions lots of questions. They may get annoid with you but you will be telling them your no fool.Call the local chamber of commerce or bbb to see what the rep. is on the company.If you use any products for stopping a squeak in a moving part make sure it can be used for that purpose. A lot of people don't realize that wd-40 will crack tires,rust metal,over inflate o-rings and crack dash boards. wd-40 is made out of fish oils which will cause thease issues. Its grreat for fishing however wouldn't use it could get fined. This product will leech out a lot of the oils in certain parts. It has its place in certain thing but not cars.
richard

Lansing, MI

#38 Jul 10, 2010
Same damn problem in the winter,loud PS noise,worms up and it's gone.Now I have a new noise comming from the pump aera.To sum it up, their all a piece of S..T!!
vijay

Hicksville, NY

#39 Oct 16, 2010
My Fellow Victims- It seems, it's the same problem with 2004 Jeep Liberty -
1. first, the steering becomes noisy
2. it becomes very tight to rotate it during the winter. Works great in summer
3. Fluid leaks from the steering - worked great in summer. The problem reoccured within 6 months during the winter time. THis time, the Jeep steering simply doesn't rotate at all.
4. After I fixed the fluid, then comes big noise and the mechanic complains that it's an issue with the "RACK and THE PINION".
5. After inquiring atleast few dealers, it was found that, Jeep Liberty problems, as reported above, are same due to FAULTY STEERING KIT that Chrysler-Jeep has delivered for it's vehicles.

Question # 1: First let's think on HOW TO FIX IT - I found doing some online research that buying it online will be a good bet. If you can spend around $300.00, you should get a new one online.

2. You can goto to junk yard and find something that fits, however, A) either if the mechanic doesn't do a good job or B) due to faulty repair, you might screw up your vehicle. Then you might end up spending twice on labor. So, rather I would advice to buy a new one and rely upon a reasonably good mechanic in my case used pep boys who gave me discount of 15% on the total labor hours (approx. 7 hours).

3. My friends, safety and security of you and your loved ones is first and foremost thing you should worry about. Try to fix it.

4. Now, if any like minded people can come forward, we can petition to Chrysler-Jeep company about the issue. Remember, the count always makes impact. If that doesn't work, perhaps, we should sue the the manufacturer for faulty parts which compromises the security and credibility of the vehicle.- Would like to hear what others think too.
richard wrote:
Same damn problem in the winter,loud PS noise,worms up and it's gone.Now I have a new noise comming from the pump aera.To sum it up, their all a piece of S..T!!
Dbatty1

United States

#40 Nov 13, 2010
Hey guys i have been having the same problem with a the cold weather howling on start up. The answer is to use Mopar power steering fluid, the after market fluid does not work in the jeep power steering units. I have pumped out the reservior several times to replace all the fluid in the system. It hase been down below 30 deg. for the last couple of days and the power steering has not made a sound. I hope this helps and saves you some money.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Jeep Liberty Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Swapping transmissions 7 hr Tsali1974 1
2010 jeep liberty alarm goes off (May '13) Jan 20 CaryF 41
why does my part time 4x4 light come on when I ... (Jan '09) Jan 20 ItsaJeepthing 125
Under Hood Knocking Noise (Apr '11) Jan 20 Will 5
Rear swing gate on a 2003 Jeep liberty Jan 18 Kkcarter 1
Jeep Liberty problems (Nov '06) Jan 12 Rick 1,101
2003 3.7 fuel mixture control Jan 10 Airforce 33 1
More from around the web