Who to trust (Power Steering Problems...

Who to trust (Power Steering Problems and Noises)

Posted in the Jeep Liberty Forum

First Prev
of 5
Next Last
Frustrated

Wilson, NC

#1 Feb 12, 2008
I took my 2002 Jeep Liberty into the local dealership a few weeks ago for a moaning/whining shound when turning the steering wheel.

The dealer said it was the power steering pump and replaced it.

Three weeks later the noise is back. I notice all the power steering fluid is gone. I take it to another Jeep dealership and they said a hose was not hooked up correctly causing the leak but also said the Steering Rack and Pinions were messed up.

I call and let the first dealership know about this and they said to bring it in and they will fix the situation.

I just got a call and they confirmed that the hose was hooked up wrong and put a new one in. However, they said there is nothing wrong with the Steering Rack and Pinions.

Someone is lying and I know nothing about cars and am not sure who to trust.

Any thoughts or suggestions?
Jerri

Richardson, TX

#2 Oct 16, 2008
My Jeep is doing the same thing, what did you find out?
Jerri

Richardson, TX

#3 Oct 16, 2008
My Jeep is doing the exact same thing, what did you find out?
Kevin

United States

#4 Oct 28, 2008
My Jeep is doing the exact same thing as well. So that goes to show that there is a manufactoring problem with these vechicles.
Deny

Canada

#5 Nov 9, 2008
I own a 2003 liberty and I have the same problem. Both lower ball-joints, front shocks, bearing plates and drive belt have been replace and the problem still exists, my best next guess is the steering rack. Does anyone have any past experience/ solution for this problem
Ian

Ottawa, Canada

#6 Dec 22, 2008
I am having a similiar issue with my 2002 Jeep Liberty. When the weather is cold, there is a whining noise when I first start it and the steering is stiff. This problem is gone after the Jeep warms up. I am going to check the power steering fluid but it was full. Also one dealership told me I needed to replace the Steering Rack and Pinion while another dealership did not even mention that as a problem.
Sue

Chicago, IL

#7 Jan 1, 2009
I have a 2002 Jeep Liberty and have had the whining for years, always in the winter, when the vehicle is cold. Just like Ian, once it warms up, it disappears. I've had it checked out in the past, but never had the problem resolved. Was told it sounds like the power steering, which seems to be okay otherwise.
Henry

South Gardiner, ME

#8 Jan 25, 2009
I just started driving my '03 Liberty (w/70k miles) for the winter (my son drives it the remainder) and I am finding the same thing. The colder it is, the louder it is. I put some WD40 on the power steering pump pulley and the whine dissappeared. Sounds to me like a bearing is going.
chris

Pepperell, MA

#9 Jan 26, 2009
I have aloud noise and im in VT -30 the other day, I added steering fluid and it solved the problem for a week or two and know it is everywhere. I ran out again and was told i need a rack and pinion steering mechanism. I hope i can trust my mechanic
Drew

United States

#10 Feb 6, 2009
We have a 2002 Liberty and have heard that whining when we start it up for years. We have had one issue after the other with this car. It is paid for, but some times I wish it would just die so we are forced to buy a new car.
Ablediver

United States

#11 Feb 21, 2009
I have developed the exact same symptoms this winter. Upon first start there is a whine for about 2-3 seconds, and upon leaving the driveway, the steering is stiff for about 3-5 seconds. Has anyone found the cause?
Jeff

Saint Paul, MN

#12 Feb 22, 2009
2002 Liberty with the same problem. Super loud power steering pump when it's cold and goes back to normal when it warms up.
Paige

Colorado Springs, CO

#13 Mar 7, 2009
2002 Liberty has made the same noise in the cold, but recently started making the noise all day long, then a leak was noticed and finally a smell. I took it to the mechanic and they told me power steering system was low due to pressure side power steering line leaking. They called Jeep dealership for part and found out that the part was on back order 11,000+ and not being built at this time. So they were/are unable to get the part to repair my vehicle. How do you like that? So, here I am see what all of you have to say about the same problem. Not too happy with Chysler!
paige

Colorado Springs, CO

#14 Mar 7, 2009
Correction on above comment. 1100 on back order, not 11,000.
Matthew

Plainview, TX

#15 Mar 7, 2009
I recent had the same problem with my fiance's 2002 Jeep Liberty. The power steering hose went bad at 90,000 miles. The cost of the hose is anywhere from 175.00 to 200.00. http://mhawkins1.blogspot.com/
jedifrog

Vienna, VA

#16 Mar 14, 2009
I am also having difficulties with my '04' jeep
liberty. When making a turn especially to the
right, the front right tire seems to lockup I
definitely hear a screeching/skidding sound, its even worse when turning while driving in the
reverse!! Any ideas what the problem could be??
Thanks.=)

[email protected]
charmm

Needham, MA

#17 Mar 18, 2009
Have a 2002 Jeep Liberty , just told the Rack and Pinion is out and must b replaced , it is a very expensive job , how commone is this with the Jeep Liberty's ?
Could it be something else ?
Mich

Oakland, CA

#18 Jun 7, 2009
Hello all

Well after a year of owning my Liberty I have to say that until two weeks ago I had no problems but for the last week I have had a leak on the connector from the high pressure hose to the PS pump I change the O ring on it but the leak was still there I try to secure the connector good but still the leak did not go away is coming from the connector I can see the fluid out from the bottom of the connector so it has to do with the O ring, any suggestions anyone? at this point I can't even drive the truck there is enough air in the system that I have to bleed it now too, hope someone can give me some ideas.
Keith

Gouldsboro, PA

#19 Aug 4, 2009
I have a 2004 Jeep Liberty Sport. The p/s pressure hose has a small pin hole in it. Spent $71 dollars at auto zone for the new part.$100 dollars local garage to install. Auto zones p/s return hose is not correct found it at an oem Jeep for 49.95. I hope this helps.
http://www.wholesalemopar.com/parts_catalog-s...
Tx Rob

United States

#20 Oct 22, 2009
Keith - did you have the same noise when starting when cold?
Keith wrote:
I have a 2004 Jeep Liberty Sport. The p/s pressure hose has a small pin hole in it. Spent $71 dollars at auto zone for the new part.$100 dollars local garage to install. Auto zones p/s return hose is not correct found it at an oem Jeep for 49.95. I hope this helps.
http://www.wholesalemopar.com/parts_catalog-s...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Jeep Liberty Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
why does my part time 4x4 light come on when I ... (Jan '09) Sep 20 justjeeps 121
2003 Liberty Sport 3.7 Evap Leaks Sep 19 Heidi83 1
2007 Jeep Liberty Starting Issues (Aug '11) Sep 18 Eric 66
2002 Liberty steering column ignition switch/ke... (Jul '06) Sep 17 d0miller 248
News Chrysler Recalls 800,000 Jeep Liberty SUVs (Aug '06) Sep 17 Dunm0 759
How do you reset the "Change Oil" Warning (Oct '09) Sep 16 Sanne 59
03 jeep liberity swing door gate will not open (Nov '06) Aug 29 Mike 89
More from around the web