Grand Cherokee Ltd. heating/cooling p...
JGCParts

AOL

#643 Mar 29, 2011
If your heater stopped working on your 1999 - 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee - DO NOT PANIC!

It is most likely something very simple like your blend doors being broken. The dealership usually charges 1000 dollars or more to fix this! Fortunately you can get your Jeep fixed for a fraction of what the dealer would charge.

Please complete this simple and easy check to discover if our JeepHeater Blend door repair kit by JGCParts.com is right for you:

1) Turn on the vehicle.

2) Turn on the AC system to any setting.

3) Hold down the AC and the Recirculation buttons at the same time.

4) While still holding the AC and Recirculation button, turn the driver’s side temperature control knob
clockwise one click.

5) Release the AC and Re-Circulation buttons.

The code numbers will be displayed on the screen one at a time.

22 or 54 – Left temperature door is broken.

24 or 56 – Right temperature door is broken.

You can find more information on our simple DIY repair kit at

http://www.jgcparts.com/JeepHeater.html

If you have any questions, please feel free to contact us any time!

www.JGCParts.com

Since: May 08

Manchester, MA

#644 Mar 30, 2011
Hi Diane:

It is important to read your fault codes.

Because, along with a possible blend door problem, you may also have the common
recirculation door problem.
And the not so common mode door problem.

For help with diagnosing your heating problems.

Post your fault codes and symptoms.

Or visit the Blen Dor Store’s Tech Tips page.

http://www.blendorstore.com/tech_tips

If you need more information use the contact page to ask a question.

http://www.blendorstore.com/contact

Visit the Blen Dor Store, the only place that will have the blend doors – recirculation doors & mode doors for the 99/04 Jeep Grand Cherokee’s HVAC system.

The place ALL others are coping from.
Phoenix 1

Canada

#645 Apr 14, 2011
Well i just bought a 99 grand cherokee, spent 700 bucks to replace the blower motor and resistor, i had heat for two months, then it just started to blow nothing but cold air , coolant levels good, made sure proper coolant went in and was told that it was either, water pump or thermostat, from reading previous posts im wondering if its not either one of those issues and its a blend door issue, i love this jeep but im at the point where i just want to sell it and buy a chevy, any help would be appreciated if u have run into the same problem
JGCParts

AOL

#646 Apr 14, 2011
Phoenix 1 wrote:
Well i just bought a 99 grand cherokee, spent 700 bucks to replace the blower motor and resistor, i had heat for two months, then it just started to blow nothing but cold air , coolant levels good, made sure proper coolant went in and was told that it was either, water pump or thermostat, from reading previous posts im wondering if its not either one of those issues and its a blend door issue, i love this jeep but im at the point where i just want to sell it and buy a chevy, any help would be appreciated if u have run into the same problem
If your heater stopped working on your Jeep Grand Cherokee after all those repairs - DO NOT PANIC!
It is most likely something very simple like your blend doors being broken. The dealership usually charges 1000 dollars or more to fix this! Fortunately you can get your Jeep fixed for a fraction of what the dealer would charge.
Please complete this simple and easy check to discover if our JeepHeater Blend door repair kit by JGCParts.com is right for you:
1) Turn on the vehicle.
2) Turn on the AC system to any setting.
3) Hold down the AC and the Recirculation buttons at the same time.
4) While still holding the AC and Recirculation button, turn the driver’s side temperature control knob
clockwise one click.
5) Release the AC and Re-Circulation buttons.
The code numbers will be displayed on the screen one at a time.
22 or 54 – Left temperature door is broken.
24 or 56 – Right temperature door is broken.
You can find more information on our simple DIY repair kit at
http://www.jgcparts.com/JeepHeater.html
If you have any questions, please feel free to contact us any time!
www.JGCParts.com

Amesbury, MA

#647 Apr 15, 2011
Phoenix 1 wrote:
Hi Phoenix 1:

Your symptom of “IT JUST STARTED TO BLOW NOTHING BUT COLD AIR”
That symptom could be caused by a few items other then your blend doors.

So, it is important to read your fault codes.

Because, the cause of symptom could very easily be something more then just the blend door problem.

Visit the Blen Dor Store, the only place that will have the blend doors –
recirculation doors &
mode doors for the 99/04 Jeep Grand Cherokee’s HVAC system.

The place ALL others are coping from.
henry

Budd Lake, NJ

#648 Apr 17, 2011
I recently purchased a 2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo and seem to have the same problem. the a/c blower just to the windshield,
cold or hot if i turn but just go to the windshield!

Any one knows with door is broke?

if you had alrety experiency with this problens sand me e-mail or post here.

my problen wos the VACIUM BOX, THAT STAY UNDER THE BATARY BY THE FRONT BUMPER,

I HOPE HELP SOME ONE,
JGCParts

AOL

#649 Apr 17, 2011
henry wrote:
I recently purchased a 2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo and seem to have the same problem. the a/c blower just to the windshield,
I HOPE HELP SOME ONE,
That's great information! For others who also experience the loss of heat, please feel free to use our directions to help diagnose your own Jeep right in your driveway. Instructions for the Free and Easy self diagnosis can be found here:

http://www.jgcparts.com/jeepheaterfail.html

If any one needs any questions answered about their Jeep Grand Cherokee Heater, please contact us anytime!

www.JGCParts.com

Prides Crossing, MA

#650 Apr 18, 2011
henry wrote:
I HOPE HELP SOME ONE,
Hello Henry:

To answer your question:
“Anyone know which door is broke?”

As you stated your problem ended up to be a vacuum problem.
Since the Laredo model uses a vacuum system to operate the mode doors,
if any part of the vacuum system has a problem it will cause a problem with the HVAC system vacuum actuator.

The symptom of the blower is working, but the air flow is only coming out of the defroster vents.

That symptom could also be caused by a broken plastic Mode Door.
The plastic Mode Door shaft breaks the same as the plastic blend doors break.

The information you posted is Great!
Because, along with a possible vacuum problem,
you may also have the common blend door problem & the recirculation door problem.
And the not so common mode door problem.

If you need more information use the contact page to ask a question or get help diagnosing your 99/04 Jeep Grand Cherokee HVAC system problems.

Visit the Blen Dor Store, the only place that will have the blend doors – recirculation doors & mode doors for the 99/04 Jeep Grand Cherokee’s HVAC system.

The Blen Dor Store.com is the place ALL others are coping from.
JGCParts

AOL

#651 Apr 18, 2011
www.JGCParts.com --------> for your simple, easy and low cost way to fix your Jeep Grand Cherokee's broken heater. Save HUGE over dealer prices.

Middleton, MA

#652 Apr 18, 2011
www.blendorstore.com >>>>>>> For the Original Dual Control blend door design to repair the 99/04 Jeep Grand Cherokee HVAC system.

The Blen Dor Store is the only place to find the aftermarket recirculation & mode doors.

The Blen Dor Store is the place ALL others are coping from.
Garo

Miami, FL

#653 May 10, 2011
1999 Grand Cherokee LTD - Blend doors ? I was told there are actuators(motors)that open and close the doors and they probably died - Can that be part of the problem too???
The dealers and repair shops love these Jeeps. Where is "consumer protection" when you need it.
JGCParts

AOL

#654 May 10, 2011
Garo wrote:
1999 Grand Cherokee LTD - Blend doors ? I was told there are actuators(motors)that open and close the doors and they probably died - Can that be part of the problem too???
The dealers and repair shops love these Jeeps. Where is "consumer protection" when you need it.
It may be the actuator(s) or it may be the actual blend doors. Please feel free to use our directions to help diagnose your Jeep right in your driveway. Instructions for the Free and Easy self diagnosis can be found here:

If any one needs any questions answered about their Jeep Grand Cherokee Heater, please contact us anytime!

www.JGCParts.com
elliphant

Trail, Canada

#655 May 11, 2011
Jim wrote:
Just got the '99 Grand Cherokee Ltd and have electrical problems. The radio shuts off when I turn on the lights or touch the radio control on the steering wheel. It also does not blow out any heat. I took it to NTB and after a diagnostic was told the AZC Module for HVAC Head Controller needed replacement. No exact cost to replace but stated the part was over $500 itself. Not sure if replacing this part will solve the radio issue.
Have you guys heard of this?
The HVAC fix will not fix the radio problem. Read the other posts here for a possible low-cost fix for the HVAC, if you're mechanically inclined. The radio problem is probably caused by (I know this sounds bizarre) a broken ground wire in one or other of the front door wiring harnesses. You can check this yourself: pull back the rubber tube running from the body into each of the front doors. You'll find a bundle of wires inside. Find the heavy black wire and inspect *very carefully*- you will probably find that one or the other (or both) is broken at a crimp point where the wire flexes each time the door is opened/closed. When this wire breaks, all hell breaks loose with everything electrical all over the car. Beats me how they managed to engineer such a wierdball thing, but it's very common on these models. Hope this solves your problem, as having a dealer hunt down electrical issues can be a nightmare. Good luck.

Nutting Lake, MA

#656 May 11, 2011
Garo wrote:
Hi Garo:
You could have actuator motor problems!
But, your 1999 Grand Cherokee LTD has a HVAC fault code system you can read from the dash heater control module.

That would be a good place to start your HVAC system diagnostics.

To read the fault codes:
1. Turn on the ignition switch.
2. Turn on the AZC system (heating system). The temperature settings should be displayed for both sides.
2. Simultaneously hold down the AC and the Re-Circ buttons.
3. Then turn the driver’s side temperature (Left) control knob to the right (CW) one click.
4. Then release the AC and Re-Circ buttons.

If there are no fault codes, the “00” display value will remain in the window.
If there are any codes, each will be displayed for one second in ascending numerical sequence (note: no effort is made to display faults in the order they occurred). The left side set temperature display will be blanked and the right side set temperature display will indicate current and historical codes (8 historical max) presently active.
Once all codes have been displayed, the system will repeat the fault code numbers. This will continue until the left side set temperature control is moved at least one detent position in either direction, by pressing both the A/C and Recirc buttons at the same time, or the ignition is turned off.

It is important to read your fault codes.
Because, along with a possible actuator motor problem, you may also have the common blend door and recirc door problems. And the not so common mode door problem.

For help with deciphering the fault codes and your symptoms.
You could post your fault codes and symptoms.
Or visit the Blen Dor Store,s Tech Tips and FAQ pages.
http://www.bl endor store.com

http://www.bl endor store.com/contact

www.blendorstore.com >>>>>>> For the Original Dual Control blend door design to repair the 99/04 Jeep Grand Cherokee HVAC system.

The Blen Dor Store is the only place to find the aftermarket recirculation & mode doors.

The Blen Dor Store is the place ALL others are coping from.
Kevin

Ellsworth, ME

#657 Jun 14, 2011
bill wrote:
I had the same problem. Buy the blend doors (approx. 100.00). You can pull the glove box out and cut a hole in the plastic to reach the assembly. Be careful how u cut it ( I used a very sharp exacto knife) so that u can silicon the piece back in place. This takes a couple of hours but it beats taking most of the dash off. Good luck!!
Just found this post, with instructions for the DIY-er... http://www.denlorstools.com/autoblog/2010/03/...
JGCParts

AOL

#658 Jun 15, 2011
Kevin wrote:
<quoted text>
Just found this post, with instructions for the DIY-er...
That's great information! For others who also experience the loss of heat and want to fix this themselves, please feel free to use our directions to help diagnose your own Jeep right in your driveway. Instructions for the Free and Easy self diagnosis can be found here:

www.JGCParts.com
larry

Warrington, PA

#659 Jul 6, 2011
My 2001 grand cherokee limited has the same problem. My very competent mechanic said it was a classic blend door defect.
I have put duct tape on the passenger side vets during the winter. The A/C does work after i remove the tape in the late spring.
I will try Bill's solution after I research the quality of the blend door. I bet it is a cheap plastic with little resistance to heat aging.My problem occured after eight years of ownwership from new.
Tyler

Great Bend, KS

#660 Jul 20, 2011
Ok to start off blower motor resistor burnt up. Got that replaced. Now its not blowing like it should. blower is working fine but hardly any air comes out of all the vents(i can hear the air moving throughout the hvac housing) Ran the codes only code 52 comes up(recirculation door too large) its not broken nor is the flap missing it is still attached and moving just fine. Blend motors are just fine and have heat and ac. This is on a 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited with azc. and i have also reclibrated the system didn't help tho. What im trying to find out is does the recirc door allow how much air comes through the vents. I pulled the blower motor out and reached up in there and nothing fell down or is out of place and blower works on all speeds. I see all this talk about blend doors but heat and ac is fine so i know thats not the problem. Could someone help before i take it to the shop to spend alot of money just to have them tell me something i already know
Paul

Austin, TX

#661 Aug 1, 2011
I have a 1999 Jeep GC limited - I have dual climate temp dials. I notice that air blows ok coming from the drivers side but the passanger side vents barely blows air. I think my recir door and blend doors are still working. any idea? this is the only code i get

42 = One of four motor drivers had drive 9A9 shorted to ground
abz

Perth, Australia

#662 Aug 27, 2011
hi i have jeep gcl 99 and the same thing i have no heat or cooling i flushed out the hoses still no good what the hell

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Jeep Grand Cherokee Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
2005 Grande Cherokee heater blower/mice problem (Aug '07) 17 hr Miss Gail 10
Front end clunking noise on rough road at slow ... (Jan '09) Jul 23 Esther Graham 17
1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee Stalls while driving o... (May '11) Jul 22 Delbert orr 129
SOULUTION FOUND - 2006 Laredo Dash lights flas... (Jun '07) Jul 21 Godstither 75
2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Window Regulator (Dec '06) Jul 21 Warlord2579 56
No start. Jul 19 Matt 1
My 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee wont start... (May '11) Jul 17 TattooGrrl 41
More from around the web