1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee- Cranks, WIL...
Lynn

Los Angeles, CA

#103 Oct 17, 2011
MY 95 JEEP WONT TURN OVER AT ALL. POWER COMES ON AND NOTHING ELSE. could this still be the cps
Paul

Georgetown, Guyana

#104 Nov 11, 2011
I have a '98 Grand Jeep Cherokee. Came into work in the morning and jeep would not start in the afternoon. Engine truning but will not start. I repalce the camshaft sensor ,as indicated by the computer read out, still engine will not turn over. HELP.
bryan

Saint Paul, MN

#105 Nov 21, 2011
Emily wrote:
My 98 Jeep Grand Cherokee I6 4x4 will crank but not turn over. Voltage is not getting distributed. I've replaced ignition pick-up assembly, rotor, distributor cap, plugs, and wires. Have checked fuses- they're ok. The fuel pump is fine too. I have replaced the ignition switch and body computer within two years. Completely stumped here!!!
fuel presure reulater
bryan

Saint Paul, MN

#106 Nov 21, 2011
fuel presure regulater
Erica

Columbus, OH

#107 Nov 27, 2011
We had this same problem with my sons 99 cherokee. It would turn over but not start. We checked everything and assumed it must be crankshaft sensor. BUT then we decided to check the fuse box under the hood by the battery. It turned out to be a 15 amp fuse that was blown. Fired right up!
Eddie

Blairsville, GA

#108 Dec 16, 2011
I have a 98 jeep grand cherokee 4.0, i had to replace the motor in it. It cranked up fine, now it want crank. Made sure there wasnt any pinched wires. Made sure everything was connected, but I go to try and crank it and it blowes the starter relay. Can anybody give me an idea what to look at to fix the problem.
curtis

Traverse City, MI

#109 Jan 4, 2012
I replaced the crank shaft sen. the fuelpump, fuel filter , cap, router , Pam, an spark plugs an wires. It still takes about 3hrs to start. An wants it started it runs like a rapped ape but let it sit over night same thing take three hours. $900 so far please someone help.
curtis

Traverse City, MI

#110 Jan 4, 2012
Sorry pcm
darla

Morocco, IN

#111 Jan 28, 2012
I have a 2002 Jeep grand cherokee for some reason it is sucking gas really bad, it chugs going down the road 55. does anyone have any ideas
Bob

AOL

#112 Feb 10, 2012
Hard starting at time's, but I can get it running, run's for awhile then try's to cut off, but comes right back. Will it still run with a bad crankshaft sensor ?????
Amy

United States

#113 Feb 17, 2012
My daughter has a 1995 jeep grand cherokee that last week started running really rough. We replaced the fuel filter and still runs horribly...we replaced all of the fuel injectors and I got a diode tester and there's electricity getting to them...it will start if you hold the pedal to the floor but it shakes like there's no tomorrow and then dies. The plugs, distributor and wires were all recently replaced. Any ideas?
zack

Bergenfield, NJ

#114 Feb 21, 2012
[my 2003 jeep cherokee will crank but not start new starter new battery and no spark
zack

Bergenfield, NJ

#115 Feb 21, 2012
jeep ckerokee has no spark will crank but will not start hsa a new starter
Gary

United States

#116 Mar 1, 2012
I have a 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee. It has a hard start. Run good once it starts. Have changed the fuel pump 3 times, changed the wires and plugs, alternator. Someone have an answer?
Daniel

United States

#117 Mar 16, 2012
my 1998 jeep cherokee auto will not turn over this mornin. yesterday it was cutting off wile driving but before that it was fine. would that be the cps?
AKfive9erZJ

Broomfield, CO

#118 Apr 10, 2012
5.9 ZJ...started it to warm it up, started just fine. Went back out 30minutes later and its dead. Just turns over now.
Have replaced these items
IAC
TPS
O2 sensor
cap plugs rotor and wires.
Fuel pump is kicking on. If pcm is bad, will OBD scanner read?
Payday is friday I will get a new crankshaft position sensor and install.
2001001 miles.
Just
empty
every
pocket!
True meaning of JEEP.
sarah

Davenport, IA

#119 Apr 17, 2012
i have a 98 jeep cherokee 4x4, it wont start in park 90% of the time i have to put it in netural any ideas why and what to do to fix it please help ? email [email protected]
Mike

Plymouth, WI

#120 Apr 30, 2012
Emily wrote:
My 98 Jeep Grand Cherokee I6 4x4 will crank but not turn over. Voltage is not getting distributed. I've replaced ignition pick-up assembly, rotor, distributor cap, plugs, and wires. Have checked fuses- they're ok. The fuel pump is fine too. I have replaced the ignition switch and body computer within two years. Completely stumped here!!!
I know this is years later, but just to post, I have friends with the same motor, and I repaired my father in laws 98 Jeep Grand Cherokee with the same issue. No fuel no spark; after testing coil and pump. CRANKSHAFT POSITION SENSOR. This also cured the hard starting.
eduardo

United States

#121 May 6, 2012
ashleigh wrote:
<quoted text>
had problems with the alarm system going off when key was used to unlock door. Now jeep will crank but not start. Checked manual byut can't find anything. Any suggestions?
you have to ground ur alarm on the ceiling harness u'l find a yellow/green wire cut it and ground it
shane brady

Fostoria, OH

#122 May 8, 2012
Arcadian wrote:
I Have a 1998 jeep grand cherokee Limited 5.2L 4WD
where is the CPS ON THIS THING.
i gotten pictures from some people but they dont look anything like my jeep.
i need to change the cps my jeep is cutting off at 40-60 mph when it reaches 210 degrees.
thanks in advance anyhelp is appreciated
The cps is at 11 o clock right behind the engine. Stick your hand in the tight spot where the lines are at. You should be able to find rounded bolts. These are 1/4 hex key which you can get from autozone. You'll also need an extension. Some people will tell you a big one but it doesn't need to be all that big. Then to unplug the sensor you'll have to.get underneath. On the driver's side of the tranny there'll be a shift linkage. Take it apart and reach up. You'll find the plug there. Hope that help

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Jeep Grand Cherokee Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Please help! My headlights flicker off and on! (Sep '08) 1 hr Nenessa 84
2003 Grand Cherokee Transmission Problem (Sep '07) Dec 12 GAry 11
2005 jeep grand cherokee 5.7L stalling and surg... (Jun '09) Dec 12 LeviNate 89
1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee Stalls while driving o... (May '11) Dec 11 Thomas ling 130
2001 jeep grand cherokee tailgate lock (Oct '11) Dec 11 SWAGGER144 15
Driver line vibration Dec 10 Steve 1
Brake lights stay on (Sep '07) Dec 6 Karrie Chapman 48
More from around the web