1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee- Cranks, WIL...
tony

Las Vegas, NV

#81 Jan 4, 2011
Jess wrote:
I have 1998 jeep grand Cherokee was running find, did get a little hard to start and now it just cranks and cranks but no spark,, did a complete tune up stiill nothing,,check to see if I'm getting juice to coil and no juice,,fuel pump works and everything else seems to be working,, hook my scanner up to it to see if there were any codes and there is no codes!!! any ideals
check fuse boz under hood check the small 15 and 20 amp fuses had a no spark issue turned out to be bad diode in altenator blowing fuse what the fuse was going to have no idea small yellow 20 amp. after replacing fuse and altenator problem went away
James

Digulleville, France

#82 Jan 21, 2011
Hi
I have a Jeep Cherokee Laredo 1997 Diesel.Running fine one Day the next nothing.Turns over fine Installed new battery New Diesel Filter.

Any help please. Thanks
MARCUS

Monroe, LA

#83 Jan 24, 2011
ITS YOUR COMPUTER,I GOT A 98 JEEP ALSO AND I CHANGED EVERYTHING OUT THAT YOUVE CHANGED AND COME TO FIND OUT ,IT WAS MY COMPUTER THE WHOLE TIME.I WENT TO EBAY AND FOUND THIS EXCHANGE COMPUTER COMPANY THAT U SEND YOUR OLD COMPUTER OUT OF YOUR JEEP AND THEY REBUILD IT TO YOUR VIN,MILAGE,AND MODEL UPDATE FOR 135.00.MINE BEEN DONG GOOD EVERYSINCE AND THIS WAS RECENT LIKE 3 OR 4 MONTHS AGO.....
Dave

Honolulu, HI

#84 Jan 29, 2011
Have a 1998 Grand Cherokee..ran ok until about a month ago then started stalling for no reason. All lights work, engine turns over, but will not start. Checked for fire, but not getting spark.

Had it towed to the Jeep dealer and they said I had a burnt harness wire and fixed it. They called me to pick it up. All ready to go. I pick it up and get about 5 miles from the dealer and it does the same thing again! Engine just stops and will not start back up.

Had it towed back to the dealer and they said it was the computer this time. Ordered a computer and 2 weeks later they called me and said that it was ready for pick up. Dead in traffic twice was too much so I asked them to take it on a longer test drive to confirm it was ready to go. Guess what... It happened again, but this time they were driving! They still think it is the computer and said that I must have gotten a bad one so they are ordering it again.

The one thing I can see is that it dies after it has been running for 5-6 miles or so, which is about the warm up time.

It's going on a month now without my car and it's getting frustrating. I would ask for ideas, but it seems a lot of paople are having the same problem.

My buddie works at a different dealer and say it sounds like the coil or some sensor because it runs fine until it warms up.

If anybody has anything, please let me know. My email address is idivehawaii@gmail.com.

Thanks
joe

West Tehama County, CA

#85 Jan 31, 2011
i have a 1993 grand cherokee it also wont fire.replaced everything and still nothing.if its your cps pour a cup of watter down the back of your engine and somehow it creats a cercut.i know it sounds funny,but my jeep would not start so i degreaced the motor rinsed it off and thought i would try to start it.it started,so i got the idea to pour a cup of water down the back of the motor the next day it started.wierd i know,c.a
Erik Bjorgen

Jacksonville, IL

#86 Feb 23, 2011
Hi, i just swapped a new motor in my 93 GC. i put a 88 motor in it, but switched all the components to the 93. the crank sensor was bad so i bought a new one. still no spark any suggestions?
Matt evans

Wichita, KS

#87 Mar 2, 2011
Mike wrote:
I have a 93 Jeep GC Laredo. One day it wouldnt start... just crank and crank. I spent alot of money chasing the prob... New crank sensor, coil, distributor, pick up sensor, cap, wires etc etc Come to find out most probs with Jeeps is the wiring harness. I had a short in the connector coming from under the relay box next to the battery going to the coil. Thats it. Look for a bright pink wire coming out from under relay box and follow it to a connector before it hits coil. Notorious for going bad. Hope that helps.
Is the wiring harness colors the same for a 93 grand cherokee limited? Is the pink wire your refering to the same color on that model?
pawkitz 509

Mesa, AZ

#88 Mar 4, 2011
Arcadian wrote:
I Have a 1998 jeep grand cherokee Limited 5.2L 4WD
where is the CPS ON THIS THING.
i gotten pictures from some people but they dont look anything like my jeep.
i need to change the cps my jeep is cutting off at 40-60 mph when it reaches 210 degrees.
thanks in advance anyhelp is appreciated
GO TO AUTO ZONE OR NAPA AND GET A CHILTONS OR HAYNES REPAIR MANUAL
-EVERYONE- IT IS WELL WORTH THE INVESTMENT AND THE MANUALS ARE VEHICLE AND YEAR SPACIFIC.
gigidy gigidy

Rock Hill, SC

#89 Mar 10, 2011
word of advice for all those do it your selfers. buy the haynes mechanics book it helps a ton. only 20 bucks highly recommend it.
brianna

Auburn, WA

#90 Apr 7, 2011
Emily wrote:
My 98 Jeep Grand Cherokee I6 4x4 will crank but not turn over. Voltage is not getting distributed. I've replaced ignition pick-up assembly, rotor, distributor cap, plugs, and wires. Have checked fuses- they're ok. The fuel pump is fine too. I have replaced the ignition switch and body computer within two years. Completely stumped here!!!
My 98 jeep grand Cherokee, straight 6, just stopped working one day sitting at a light. No warning, no stuttering, just died. It would crank, but not start. After trying the fuel pump, I finally took it to a mechanic. Turned out to be the crankshaft position sensor. They replaced it, and it is running just fine now.
HELP

Durham, NC

#91 Apr 11, 2011
I have a '98 Gran Cherokee and it won't start. There has been a slow drain on the battery that I haven't figured out. As long as I drive it everyday, it'll start. If I go a couple few days without putting miles on it, I have to charge the battery. But now, the battery is charged and its turning over but won't fire. After reading other posts, I figured it was the Crankshaft Position Sensor. I replaced it and the Jeep ran fine for 3 days. Now it won't start again!?! Is it a bad CPS or can it be something else that I haven't found yet? HELP!!!
2007 Grand Cherokee

Vancouver, WA

#93 Apr 20, 2011
I have a 07 Grand Cherokee it cranks but will not fire up and run I have replaced the battery I can hear the fuel pump kick on and there is pressure at the fuel rails it did this one time before and the manual says to hold the accelerator pedal to the floor and crank the engine until it starts I have done that but still wont fire anyone had this problem before also I bought this in Az and now I live in Wa could the weather change have something to do with this??
ashleigh

United States

#94 Apr 21, 2011
Frost wrote:
Might be the security system. Check the manual... usually says something about keylessly locking/unlocking the doors to reset.
had problems with the alarm system going off when key was used to unlock door. Now jeep will crank but not start. Checked manual but can't find anything. Any suggestions?
Mom of 4

Whitney, TX

#95 Apr 24, 2011
I had trouble my 98 Jeep Grand cherokee. It just quit and would crank but would not start, all idiot guages were reading zero. We replaced the o2 sensor and the Crank shaft positioning sensor. Finally we replaced the ECM and that fixed it. It is running fine now.
bassfisher

United States

#96 Sep 7, 2011
Wore out o ring in the fuel pump causing a fuel pressure bleed off and drops the fuel pressure in the fuel rail. That is why when u turn the key on two times it finally starts because that second key cycle finally gets enough pressure built back up. For the vehicle to start, Fix: new fuel pump or get the o-ring rebuild kit for the fuel pump
Jason G

Atlanta, GA

#98 Sep 13, 2011
I have a 1998 JCG 4.0 4x4 it is throwing a code of p0320 and says Ignition/distributor engine speed sencior circuit. i was told to change the CKP. but what yall have said i have not had any of them problems. it starts on the first turn of the key and it rides smooth. I hope yall find your problems. i would do what it says to do and change the CKP it may help yall alot. (p.s if you have a 4x4 with the SELEC-TRAC option do not change your tire size by more then one size it can put stress on your transfer case and even the transmission try to keep the same size tire that is recomended.)
john g

Inverness, FL

#99 Sep 18, 2011
Emily wrote:
My 98 Jeep Grand Cherokee I6 4x4 will crank but not turn over. Voltage is not getting distributed. I've replaced ignition pick-up assembly, rotor, distributor cap, plugs, and wires. Have checked fuses- they're ok. The fuel pump is fine too. I have replaced the ignition switch and body computer within two years. Completely stumped here!!!
go to the back hatch and turn the lock to the right should stop security system
frustrated

Ormond Beach, FL

#100 Sep 27, 2011
My sister's 98 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4WD 4.0L with 136K miles had the same problems as C17AA. No spark, low fuel pressure, gauges didn't show any voltage, and computer diagnstic showed that it couldn't connect. I bought the Crankshaft Positioning sensor at Discount Auto Parts for $36. (Yes, the Grand Cherokee is cheaper than the plain Cherokee). Anyway this one only has 1 bolt holding it in and is hard as heck to replace, but it fixed the problem.
Robbie

Weatherford, TX

#101 Oct 12, 2011
idoit wrote:
98 grand cherokee 4x4 4.0 auto. Vehicle rolled over, now no power to fuel pump.
It is the vsd, the vehicle shut down relay! your jeep has a safety switch that shuts off fuel if it rolls over or is in a wreck that shuts off the fuel!
Dennis rexburg idaho

Eighty Four, PA

#102 Oct 16, 2011
Fabio wrote:
I have 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee, after owning a 1995, and a 1992 Regular Cheroke's,
I do not know what is it that Crysler did to these vehicles after they created the Grand Cherokee, is worse suv in the world, my wife think that this car are possess by the davil or worse it is the devil it self.
I work's when it wants , jurks around when it wants is a money pit, full of problems.
The Grand Cherokee is The Grand MONEY PIT of SUV,s
No Wonder Why Cry sler is broke.
I had a Toyota P.U. for 24 years,460,000 miles. The only reason I don't have it is someone rear ended it and totaled it.I now have a 1998 Grand Cherokee and now it turns over but won't start.After reading everyones comments, you guys are scareing the HELL OUT OF ME! After reading everyones comments, and the fact my brother got rid of his because of problems I have to conclude your wife is probably right!!! Any one want to buy a Cherokee?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Jeep Grand Cherokee Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
High RPMs When driving (Mar '15) 19 hr Tomp 4
2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Tail Light Issue/Problem (Jan '12) Feb 17 Tenny 66
2003 Grand Cherokee Transmission Problem (Sep '07) Feb 14 kent 14
94 Jeep Grand Cherokee - Alarm or Starter Problem? (May '07) Feb 11 Cody law 23 183
2005 jeep grand cherokee 5.7L stalling and surg... (Jun '09) Feb 11 Rchrdpnc 90
Not 100% what it could be Feb 7 Docholiday 1
Shaking at the wheel Feb 4 Penny 1
More from around the web