1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee- Cranks, WIL...
JIrwin

United States

#21 Jun 15, 2009
I am at a loss and could use any help anyone can provide. After reading this post I have replaced my CPS, Coil, and Pick up, I still have zero spark at the coil!! Does anyone have any ideas? Could this be a distributer problem, Starter? I really need help this could not have happened at a worse Time.
mike

AOL

#22 Jun 19, 2009
i have a 1993 JGC 6 cyl. 4.0 eng.265,000 miles.iI went to start it the other day and it would just crank,but not turn over,it was getting gas.I took the cap off and it was pretty burnt,so i replaced the cap and rotor and plugs.It ran ok but was sounding like it was misfiring.I drove it to work 60 miles,and it ran good at 65 or higher.I had a hard time starting it to go home ,but got it going.On the way home i hit traffic and the idle was going below 900rpms and running very rough.After 30 more miles it just stopped running.Again now it will only crank but not start.It did run 90 miles after the new parts.Any ideas?
connie

Marshfield, VT

#23 Jul 11, 2009
i have a 1998 jeep cherokee sport 4x4 6cyl 4.0L. cranks, no spark, no gas new coil, distributer cap and rotor. bought new fuel pump, but without spark, not sure if it will help. any help?
connie

Marshfield, VT

#24 Jul 11, 2009
mike wrote:
i have a 1993 JGC 6 cyl. 4.0 eng.265,000 miles.iI went to start it the other day and it would just crank,but not turn over,it was getting gas.I took the cap off and it was pretty burnt,so i replaced the cap and rotor and plugs.It ran ok but was sounding like it was misfiring.I drove it to work 60 miles,and it ran good at 65 or higher.I had a hard time starting it to go home ,but got it going.On the way home i hit traffic and the idle was going below 900rpms and running very rough.After 30 more miles it just stopped running.Again now it will only crank but not start.It did run 90 miles after the new parts.Any ideas?
it might be your throttle position sensor
OCTOBER

Youngstown, OH

#25 Jul 11, 2009
HA..95 Grand Cherokee, 4.0, running rought at idle, no codes, replaced plugs, wires cap, rotor, air control sensor, fuel pump, checked olms on inj., ok, compressiion test: cyl.1 & 2 AT 120 lbs, 3,4,5,6 at 110 lbs, map sensor tested ok, if you throttle up will run fine, ok running down road until you stop at idle again, hard starting, good fuel pressure & will hold pressure while eng. id off, help please !!!!!
Carl W

Bury, UK

#26 Jul 17, 2009
Hi,
Please help, I have a Grand Cherokee 2001 4.7 V8.
It has just started a new problem. When you turn the ignition key it tries to start but wont fire (as if no fuel getting to engine). However, turn the key off and try again and the Jeep starts perfectly - Very annoying. We have tested for faults using a Snap On Tester (no faults). We have by-passed the ignition key barrel and it is exactly the same - only starts on second turn of the key!!!!!! Any ideas?
carla

Avon Lake, OH

#27 Jul 19, 2009
I have a 1999 Grand Cherokee Laredo and I am having the same problem that the car won't start but cranks, like it is going to. Not the fuel line, not the battery. The sentry key light stays on. I have had it towed to a mechanic and I think I will make him aware of this being that my car was not responding to diagnostic testing. Maybe it is the Crankshaft positioner? Does anyone have any input?
Jessica

Sacramento, CA

#28 Jul 20, 2009
Well I have the same problem!
I have a 95 jeep Grand cherokee laredo..
I have had no problems with it until two weeks ago I was headed up to the river and going up the highway it acted like it was losing power. The speedometer stuck for a few minutes also. Then everything was fine..and the next weekend I was cruising through town and it died. It would crank but not start. A friend towed it to his shop, replaced the crank position sensor, and said it didn't work and he is 90% sure it's the computer. I'm scared to pay so much for one if thats not the case!
Larry

Lakewood, NJ

#29 Jul 22, 2009
Have a 1996 Grand Cherokee..ran ok until April then started missing and stalling in the middle of anywhere (local, highway)...Mechanic had it for a week and replaced the cps...ran ok for a while,,still seemed to need to constantly feed it gas so it wouldnt stall...replaced the gas filter,,replaced the ignition coil and got a new battery...worked for one day then would crank but not turnover...this is really frustrating...help
Arcadian

Calabasas, CA

#30 Jul 22, 2009
I Have a 1998 jeep grand cherokee Limited 5.2L 4WD

where is the CPS ON THIS THING.

i gotten pictures from some people but they dont look anything like my jeep.

i need to change the cps my jeep is cutting off at 40-60 mph when it reaches 210 degrees.
thanks in advance anyhelp is appreciated
Jessica

Sacramento, CA

#31 Jul 22, 2009
Arcadian wrote:
I Have a 1998 jeep grand cherokee Limited 5.2L 4WD
where is the CPS ON THIS THING.
i gotten pictures from some people but they dont look anything like my jeep.
i need to change the cps my jeep is cutting off at 40-60 mph when it reaches 210 degrees.
thanks in advance anyhelp is appreciated
hmm..Mine was also stopping at 40mph.. I didn't know what it was for though. I have a mechanic friend, I'll ask him where it would be and if I find anything out I'll repost.
Jessica

Sacramento, CA

#32 Aug 9, 2009
Well i figured mine out.. dont do what I did and trust the first person who tells you whats wrong. I was told to buy a computer, which costed $330. it wasn't what i needed, all it was was the crank position sensor. and it fired right up.
Victoria

Shawnee, KS

#33 Aug 26, 2009
Same issue here, Have a 98 grand jeep cherokee 4wd 6 cy. I have replaced brand new the fuel pump assembly, pressure regulator, fuel filter, distributor cap, craftshaft sensor, spark plugs,whole tune up and is still not running right. It will drive fine for about 10 min than it will start to sputter and eventually lose power and die. You can smell the gas but when trying to start it won't kick over will have to wait about 5 min before it will start. Any suggestions??
Jose

Vista, CA

#34 Aug 27, 2009
1998 jeep grand cherokee 6 cy 2wd 130k yesterday my jeep was running fine i parked and then 4 hours later it didnt start tow truck driver said it was the fuel pump so i put some starter fluid on the carburator didnt work also put a little bit of gas and no go so i pressed on the fuel pressure hole and it only pissed a little bit out so i checked the plug for spark and i didnt get no spark could it be the the cps thanks
Jami

Bristol, TN

#35 Sep 1, 2009
**I have a 98 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9 V8 4x4, I was driving down the road and the engine shut off just like I cut the key off. Had it towed to a mechanic who said my water pump seized, he replaced it then said the timing chain, timing gear and timing case broke when the pump seized. Now the thing still won't start and they are saying the crankshaft may be bent and I should replace the motor. I have 1 payment left on this and it's the only car I have, please help!!
James LA CA

Van Nuys, CA

#36 Nov 12, 2009
I had the same problem. Engine died and would not restart. Car had power and would crank but not start. Engine light was on and went to have it checked/reset. I was told that it had two codes. 1 was that the catalytic converter 2 was something with the fuel pump. Gonna check the fuel pump first but think that the CPS seems to be the problem. My Jeep is a 98 with over 264,000 miles. Still love it and its useful, hoping its not the PCM. ANyone else in my boat? ANy suggestions?
Nicco

United States

#37 Nov 30, 2009
I have a 98 jgc with 145k mi. Just yesterday it stopped working. It has don't this before where it the power would turn on but the engine would not start. Usually when this happens I would push the jeep and rock it back and forth and that usually fixes the problem. But now that I did that it still won't start. Everything in my jeep is pretty new I just don't know what's up with it. Also I have a tire that is losing air. Is the tire losing air the problem or could it be something else pls help me. Thx
Carl

Bolton, UK

#38 Dec 1, 2009
Emily, I have had a very similar problem on my 2001 Grand Cherokee would crank but not start. Unless I quickly turned the key off and tried starting again - then it would start. After many part replacing. Turned out to be a Petrol Pump rubber seal - allowing the usual 48psi of fuel pressure to be lost. Hence would not start. Jeep main dealers stock the rubber gasket kits for about £30 uk (the petrol pump itself was ok). and takes two hours labour to fit Say £100 UK! It now starts perfect every time. Worth getting a garage to do a fuel pressure test before you do all this to confirm. after running the pressure in the system should still hold about 30-40 psi. If it is anything like mine it lost pressure immediately. Hope this helps!
Emily wrote:
My 98 Jeep Grand Cherokee I6 4x4 will crank but not turn over. Voltage is not getting distributed. I've replaced ignition pick-up assembly, rotor, distributor cap, plugs, and wires. Have checked fuses- they're ok. The fuel pump is fine too. I have replaced the ignition switch and body computer within two years. Completely stumped here!!!
JOEL

United States

#39 Dec 10, 2009
I HAVE A 2007 JEEP GRAND CHEROKEE LARADO. IT ACTS LIKE THE BATTERY IS DEAD, WILL NOT START, LIGHTS GO DIM WINDOWS WILL NOT EVEN ROLL UP OR DOWN, AFTER ABOUT TWO SEC THE LIGHTS COME BACK AND THE POWER IS RESTORED BUT STILL WILL NOT CRANK. I REPLACED THE BATTERY AND THE SAME THING HAPPENED. SOME TIMES IT WILL CRANK SOME TIMES IT WILL NOT... ANY THOUGHTS.
Herb Duncan

Canada

#40 Dec 10, 2009
1996 2,5 Jeep starts runs fine for about 20 min, than shuts down, checked for spark at plugs, no spark,Scan tools reads
MIL OFF
Misfire Monitor Complete
Fuel System Monitor Complete
CCM Monitor Complete
Catalyst Monitor Not Complete
Heated Catalyst Monitor Not Supported
EVAP Monitor Not Supported
Secondary Air System Monitor Not Supported
O2 Sensor Monitor Not Complete
O2 Sensor Heater Monitor Complete

After a few hours the car will start and run fine for another 20 min
Replaced distributor cap and rotor, ignition coil, replaced crank position sensor 8 months ago for intermittent stalling problem. Any ideas? anyone?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Jeep Grand Cherokee Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
1995 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4x4 problems???????? (Dec '06) 3 hr DARRELL 245
2000 jeep grand cherokee stalling (Nov '07) 7 hr Jasonph 292
My 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee wont start... (May '11) Mon Curtis 27
Left Brake Light -- 2001 Grand Cherokee (Dec '06) Mon Cmelton 498
1998 Jeep Cherokee 4.0L v6 Won't Start (Aug '07) Jul 18 Lynn 99
entering radio code for jeep grand cherokee (Mar '08) Jul 18 Cindy 13
jeep grand cherokee code radio (Apr '07) Jul 18 iONUT 119
More from around the web