Reston, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 9, 2007

Judged:

My 98 Jeep Grand Cherokee I6 4x4 will crank but not turn over. Voltage is not getting distributed. I've replaced ignition pick-up assembly, rotor, distributor cap, plugs, and wires. Have checked fuses- they're ok. The fuel pump is fine too. I have replaced the ignition switch and body computer within two years. Completely stumped here!!!
Evildead Shack

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 10, 2007

Judged:

Emily wrote:
My 98 Jeep Grand Cherokee I6 4x4 will crank but not turn over. Voltage is not getting distributed. I've replaced ignition pick-up assembly, rotor, distributor cap, plugs, and wires. Have checked fuses- they're ok. The fuel pump is fine too. I have replaced the ignition switch and body computer within two years. Completely stumped here!!!
Maybe one of your neighbors or a preacher can fix it!
Frost

Pittsburgh, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 14, 2007

Judged:

Might be the security system. Check the manual... usually says something about keylessly locking/unlocking the doors to reset.
daria

Buffalo, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 31, 2007

Judged:

hi emily,
i had the same problem and it was expensive to learn i could have fixed it my self!! get a new battery. i can not stress the misery i went through last summer. voltage was all messed up, would crank and then do nothing. after jumping it would work until i turned it off. or the engine would sound really horrible. just try a new battery. before taking it anywhere!
Heath

Plains, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 23, 2007

Judged:

i have a 98 grand cherokee that did the same thing after replaceing the pcm and many other pricy parts found out the o2 sensor is the ground circuit for the pcm and cluster will not run if the circuit is broken have any questions call napa in denver city texas ask for heath
Rehan

Thornhill, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 24, 2007

Judged:

It is either the camshaft or crankshaft positioner. I would check the crank pos. first.
Zach

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 19, 2008

98 jeep will not start it will turn over thats it. the security alarm light keeps coming on. the ign.feed fuse keeps blowing realy need help here!!!!
rizal

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 20, 2008

i hve d same prob to...crank but wont start..but guess wat...try 2 replace the crank position sensor..it might work...most jeeps suffer this problem...even if u check ur factory cps if its ok just swaped 2 new 1..its very sensitive though..
Ric

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 3, 2008

Judged:

My 1995 JGC was running just fine, then in the niddle of driving the engine shut off, no sputtering or noise just on and then off. Turned out it was a crank sensor. Replaced and working again.
Ric

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 3, 2008

Forgot to mention, once it went out the engine would turn over but not start, no electrical problems, sounds similar to your problem
my 1993 JGC Laredo

Milford, NH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 9, 2008

My 1993 Straight 6 Jeep will crank over but not start replace Fuel pump,Crankshaft positioner, Cap rotor,pluge wires all in great shape New battery it's not getting any spark and Check engine light has never work since I bought it 4 yrs ago....need help

Casey
Milford,NH
Daphen

Fort Lauderdale, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 14, 2008

JGC 1998 straight 6
I'm having basically the same problem: I can crank on it but it will not start (some times) so far i have replaced the cap/rotor/plugs/wires/cam pos senser/battery/and battery connectors...engine light is on/had scanned/code 31 or 35 (dont remember) came up has to do with the primary coil relay or related wiring (harness maybe)
So in a nut shell there is a possable break in the wiring clusters or loose connector(s)
I'm still having my problem but atleast this is a start in the right direction. Hope this helps
victor almeida

London, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 4, 2009

Hi my grand cherokee won't start today, it crank but not starting after been working properly until last night.
I have a small computer and after checked give me the code P0443.
I erased the code but don't start.

Can anybody help with this ?

Regards

Victor
Floyd

Leavenworth, KS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 23, 2009

Emily wrote:
Change the crank sensor
Time out

Leavenworth, KS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 23, 2009

had my engine light come on today, called the dealer, they said check the gas cap, make sure it's on good, then the light should go out within 4 cold starts
C-17AA

Perry, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 6, 2009

Judged:

I too have a 1998 Jeep Cherokee 4WD with the 4.0L 6-cylinder engine. 130K miles, running like a top. Then a few hard starts, and then ZIP. Cranked fast & furious, plenty of fuel & NO spark at all. New platinum plugs, new cap/rotor, good wires in place. Tested the lead to the coil and ZERO voltage in run or start. No spark at all. All fuses perfect, everything else electrical works & near new battery. After reading all the blogs, I bought a new Crankshaft Position Sensor (CPS) at AutoZone (# SU3224) for $84.95 and even got a 10% military discount for asking, and 1 hr later, I'd replaced it myself and wallah!! On the second crank it fired up and runs great, again. Hopefully this will help you diagnose your problem. Oh, for 4WD Jeeps...definitely drop the front axle drive shaft and use a VERY long 3/8" extension drive and universal joint to get to the two 11MM bolts on the bellhousing holding the CPS in place. The CPS is a little hard to see, below the intake manifold, driver side, top area where the bellhousing bolts to the block. GOOD LUCK! C-17A
todd

Raleigh, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 6, 2009

I have a 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee with 128,000 miles. I recently started seeing some type of oil leak coming from under the back left rear side of my vehicle and it smells like gear oil. I got under there and it appears to be coming from some rubber lines. Any ideas what this could be ?
idoit

Kansas City, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 29, 2009

98 grand cherokee 4x4 4.0 auto. Vehicle rolled over, now no power to fuel pump.
JIrwin

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 25, 2009

Judged:

Would you have any advice on changing out the CPS I am having a hard time finding it. I do have the Same problem, Jeep died and will not restart, Fuel pump is good, have fuel pressure, just no spark. Would you all advise starting with the CPS as it seems to be common problem for 1998 Jeeps with 120k+ miles?
C-17AA wrote:
I too have a 1998 Jeep Cherokee 4WD with the 4.0L 6-cylinder engine. 130K miles, running like a top. Then a few hard starts, and then ZIP. Cranked fast & furious, plenty of fuel & NO spark at all. New platinum plugs, new cap/rotor, good wires in place. Tested the lead to the coil and ZERO voltage in run or start. No spark at all. All fuses perfect, everything else electrical works & near new battery. After reading all the blogs, I bought a new Crankshaft Position Sensor (CPS) at AutoZone (# SU3224) for $84.95 and even got a 10% military discount for asking, and 1 hr later, I'd replaced it myself and wallah!! On the second crank it fired up and runs great, again. Hopefully this will help you diagnose your problem. Oh, for 4WD Jeeps...definitely drop the front axle drive shaft and use a VERY long 3/8" extension drive and universal joint to get to the two 11MM bolts on the bellhousing holding the CPS in place. The CPS is a little hard to see, below the intake manifold, driver side, top area where the bellhousing bolts to the block. GOOD LUCK! C-17A
Kayla

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 8, 2009

Have a 1993 Jeep Cherokee, ran fine one day and then went to get in the next day and it wouldnt start, turned over and all fine. Sounds like the same problems listed on here. Have just bought a new battery, checked the spark plugs. Have replaced the distrib, coil, cap and the cps. STILL not firing. Not really sure what else to do to it.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 10
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

38 Users are viewing the Jeep Grand Cherokee Forum right now

Search the Jeep Grand Cherokee Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
jeep grand cherokee code radio (Apr '07) 20 hr Just me 101
Vehicle cranks Wont Start Wed 1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee 1
2003 grand cherokee turn signals (Mar '08) Mon Colin 101
2000 jeep grand cherokee stalling (Nov '07) Jul 28 Terry 260
1995 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo Alarm system (May '08) Jul 27 Reyesjeep 136
Jeep Grand Cherokee 2002 brake lights all don't... (Jul '07) Jul 26 Sheila- Massachusetts 9
1993 Jeep Grand Cherokee Starting problems (Jan '07) Jul 25 Hailey 483
•••

Buy a New Car

Zipcode:
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••