Mike

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 7, 2006

Left tail brake light goes off totally when you step on the brake. The right and the middle brake light work just fine. Have replaced the bulb, but to no avial. Any advice?
Anthony

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 8, 2006

I have this same issue going on. I called the Jeep dealer, and he said it isn't a common problem, although I was behind another Grand Cherokee 2 nights ago that this same thing was happening, except both of his brake lights went out when he pressed the brake. He said the circuit board might be burned out (if the outlet looked brown, which it doesn't), and if that is the case, you would have to replace the entire taillamp!
My brake light works when the headlights aren't on, but when I turn the headlights on, is when the brake light goes out when I press the brake. Mine is a 2001 also. Sounds like something is going on here. only does
ELA

San Francisco, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 26, 2006

I'm having the same problem with my 2001. The guy I bought it from says it's just because of the wrong bulb was put in, but it sounds more like a PCB or harness problem.
Thomas

Lakeland, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 31, 2006

I have the same problem with my Jeep. Sometimes when I move the light bulb arund it works sometimes it dosen't. So try that and if that happens there is just a bad connection with peice that the balb goes into or just migt have to buy a new back tailamp.
Joel

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 10, 2007

I'm having same issue on my 2000. Both mine don't work when the lights are on and another thing it does is the third brake in the middle is on all the time (Dim). only when lights are on..that light should only come on when I step on the brake.
Joel

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 10, 2007

Jeff

Fort Myers, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 27, 2007

I have the same problem
Jeff

Fort Myers, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 27, 2007

Judged:

First, I want to say thank you for the info, you saved me money and aggravation. Second it took mea little while to figure out what contact I was looking for. So I would like to provide a little more detail to make it easier for others in the future.
This is the corrective method for your brake lights not working when your headlights are on(2000 Jeep Cherokee Larado).
1) The cause of the problem is heat from the bulb.
2) Remove the light assembly as if you were going to change a bulb.
3) Turn the socket and remove it from the taillight assembly and set it aside(check to be sure your bulb is not burnt out).
4) Look at the opening, you will see 3 flat chrome colored contacts on the assembly.
5) Notice the one by it self at the top of the opening, that is the “ground”.
6) If you look closely you will notice the plastic around the ground contact has shrunk a little bit, this caused the contact to pull away from the socket, causing the problem.
7) With a small flat head screwdriver, VERY GENTLY pry up the contact so it stays slightly upward by itself.
8) Re-insert the bulb assembly back into the housing and press your brake petal with your lights on.
9) You should be in good to go!
10) Tools: Phillips head screwdriver and a small flat head screwdriver.
11) Time : 5 minutes per light
Mike

Virginia Beach, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 15, 2007

Judged:

Joel and Jeff,

Thank you for your posts. Just saved me a great deal of heartache. I had already ordered a few upgrade light kits to replace my oxidized lenses on the headlights, but my passenger side tail light died last night creating similar problems to those described herein. Took it in to get looked at and they could not fix it. Said I needed a new light assembly and that they could get one in a couple of days. I came home and Googled the issue and found this thread. Joel's post pointed to a great resource. Jeff's post is in that same resource and here. I followed the steps and found that my mechanic had put the replacement bulb into the bulb holder correctly, but had installed the bulb holder into the light assembly upside down so the contacts would not line up properly.

Long story shortened...I put the bulb holder in the correct way and everything is working fine now. Still upgrading to the new lights, because the socket with the burnt out bulb has gone before and is a bit charred looking.

Thanks guys for your great posts.
Ken

Nicholasville, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 28, 2007

you can buy the light sockets at the dealer for around seven bucks a piece. Part number is 4676589
Tim

Kansas City, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 5, 2007

I am going to try the fixes in this thread as well to see if it helps with my problem. It is similar to the main problem described, but slightly different as well. In my scenario ( I have heard of 2 other cases so far)On my 2000 GC Laredo, I have the upper brake light, but the other brake lights are not working. My tail lights and the turn signals work fine. I checked the fuses both under the dash and under the hood just to be thorough and found no problems. Thank you for your posts, and I help that your help cures my problem as well.
jimmy

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 6, 2007

We have the same problem with our 2000 jeep cherokee, lights off, brake lights ;lights on left brake light out. I'm surprised that this is not under a recall list.I will try the advice from jeff, wish me luck.
Earl

Decatur, AL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 16, 2007

joel's link fixed mine.thanks!!!
Mike

South Park, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 17, 2007

My 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee is doing the same thing. Replacing all the bulbs did not work. I connected the right light fixture (it works fine)to left side and I have the same problem - The brake light works fine when the lights are off; when the lights are turned on the the lamp goes off when the brakes are applied. This seems to suggest a short although there is nothing obvious in the wiring that I can see with the light fixture removed. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.
mike

King Of Prussia, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 19, 2007

I had the same problem on the left at 90k with a 2000 jeep grand laredo. needed to change the entire tail light, and again at 99k with the right one. luckily it was covered under the 100k extended warranty i had
Tony

Chula Vista, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 15, 2007

Same exact issue on my 2001 Jeep. Works fine with headlights off but left tail light goes out with headlights on and brakes applied. I took the twist on housing and bulb from the right side and same problem so seems it has to do with the assembly or wiring.
Monica

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 23, 2007

I have a 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee and it seems like everyday while traveling through ATL traffic some one tells me that my brake lights are out. I have a friend that has a 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee as well, and we have all of the same issues, including brake light problems. She replaced the bulbs in her jeep and it worked okay for about 2 weeks, then they went back out. She contacted the dealer and they said they would have to replace the entire tail light. I think it is amazing that we all have the same issue, but Chrysler says there is no problem!!!!!!
Tony

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 24, 2007

Judged:

JEFF from Cape Coral FL has the right answer!! Pry UP one of the three Chrome Flat Contacts and you are in business. I spent time sanding these contacts and didn't realized how much it was press down. Like most of you, my prior fixes only lasted for awhile. JEFF's fix though works as discribed. I'm sure the contact will go back down after awhile but at least I know how to fix it. THANKS!!!
JOhn from Miami

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 2, 2007

JEFF I owe you a beer or Six. Listen man you saved me a nice chunk of change and tons of aggravation No droppping the car off for service, no nothin; a true 15 minute fix. THANK YOU AGAIN when your in Miami look me up.!!!
Alex

Orange, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 14, 2007

Judged:

Jeff,

I want to say thank you for the write up/fix. It worked like a charm. I saw the other writeup of the fix, but I didn't work up enough heart to do it (for fear of screwing it up) until I saw your numbered run-down.

The fix was easy, and while it'll probably happen again at some point -- at least I know how to fix it. And now I can drive at night with no fear of getting a ticket. Not to mention the money and annoyance I saved myself from, not having to goto the dealership and get new light housings.

Thanks again!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 24
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

44 Users are viewing the Jeep Grand Cherokee Forum right now

Search the Jeep Grand Cherokee Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Jeep Grand Cherokee 2002 brake lights all don't... (Jul '07) 5 hr Sheila- Massachusetts 9
1993 Jeep Grand Cherokee Starting problems (Jan '07) 17 hr Hailey 483
Grand Cherokee Ltd. heating/cooling problem (Dec '06) Fri Martin 779
coolant sensor bad light 1998 grand cherokee li... (Jul '07) Fri chasj_Ny 35
98 jeep grand Cherokee won't start Wed Damon mckoy 1
My 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee wont start... (May '11) Jul 23 mike 15
2000 jeep grand cherokee stalling (Nov '07) Jul 23 Nightnurse 258
•••

Buy a New Car

Zipcode:
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••