First Prev
of 6
Next Last
jim n

Aurora, IL

#1 Oct 3, 2007
i have a 1998 cherokee,standard trans.that won't
start-has no spark and no voltage at the crank
sensor,cam sensor and coil.i checked all grounds.
look ok including ground strap from head to firewall.jeep was starting fine-it sat parked for
couple months- battery went dead-interior lite was left on-changed battery -now this.does anyone have any ideas????
jim n

Aurora, IL

#2 Oct 4, 2007
forgot to mention,jeep has a 4.0 engine
also there is no fuel at fuel rail
i did swap asd relay with known good one-
anybody????????

“Don't Blame Me . . .”

Since: Mar 07

Rockledge, FL

#3 Oct 7, 2007
I went through all the motions with my poorly idling, occasionally stalling, gas mongering 185K 1990 Cherokee 4.0.

I replaced:

1.) Crankshaft sensor
2.) All injectors
3.) Fuel filter
4.) All tune up stuff

In the end, the culprit was the FUEL PRESSURE REGULATOR, a $50 part. There's an o-ring, just like the one on the injectors where it inserts into the fuel rail and once air finds its way into the loop, everything seems to go haywire, with the electronics over compensating. Plus you can't see the condition of the diaphram inside.

Strangely, it doesn't overheat either anymore!

In love agian and shooting for 200K now!

“Don't Blame Me . . .”

Rockledge, FL

#4 Oct 27, 2007
Since my last post, BOTH my fuel pump and coil died at the same time - talk about a troubleshooting nightmare!

The first fuel pump - A Master brand couldn't fill the rail so I returned it and installed an 'Improved Turbine' Bosch that is about half the size but CRANKS!

Still wouldn't run ...

Spark was weak which should have clued me immediately to test the coil, it's real easy, but NO instead I changed the :

1.) Cam position sensor (Stator)

2.) Crank Position sensor (again)

3.) Ignition Control Module

The finally, the coil.

Puppy's back and still going for 200K!
SAMMIE

Phenix City, AL

#5 May 27, 2008
jim n wrote:
look ok including ground strap from head to firewall.jeep was starting fine-it sat parked for
couple months- battery went dead-interior lite was left on-changed battery -now this.does anyone have any ideas????
HELP
Joy

Loveland, OH

#6 Jun 8, 2008
jim n wrote:
When you try to start it, if it sparks 2 times and that is it-then it is the cam sensor-Paid $79.99 to get a computer diagnostic and now can't find the part anywhere. I hate these sensors-had another go bad 6 months ago and that sensor costs almost $500 for part and labor.
Joy

Loveland, OH

#7 Jun 8, 2008
ButchHowdy wrote:
Since my last post, BOTH my fuel pump and coil died at the same time - talk about a troubleshooting nightmare!
The first fuel pump - A Master brand couldn't fill the rail so I returned it and installed an 'Improved Turbine' Bosch that is about half the size but CRANKS!
Still wouldn't run ...
Spark was weak which should have clued me immediately to test the coil, it's real easy, but NO instead I changed the :
1.) Cam position sensor (Stator)
2.) Crank Position sensor (again)
3.) Ignition Control Module
The finally, the coil.
Puppy's back and still going for 200K!
Butch-where did you get the cam sensor?-having a hard time finding the part for my 1998 Jeep Cherokee 6 cyl.
Thanks
Joy
Joy

Loveland, OH

#8 Jun 8, 2008
Anyone know where I can buy a cam sensor for a 1998 Jeep Cherokee, 6 cyl
4.0L 242 - L6 Fl - S
Many thanks

“Don't Blame Me . . .”

Rockledge, FL

#9 Jun 8, 2008
Joy wrote:
<quoted text>
Butch-where did you get the cam sensor?-having a hard time finding the part for my 1998 Jeep Cherokee 6 cyl.
Thanks
Joy
Autozone had it.

But before replacing, remember this 'CPS/stator' is a 'dumb' object that lives an easy life and really doesn't wear. Plus, the distributor has to be pulled (at least in my 1990) to install it.

For a 1998, suspicions should be with objects that have moving parts or electronic modules that are susceptible to heat.

My clue with the coil was that although spark was present, it was lame.
Joy

Loveland, OH

#10 Jun 12, 2008
Butch-found the part-had to go to Jeep dealer to get the cam sensor.it is called a CMP sensor or switchplate-the mechanic put it in and reset computer and now he finally got it started but it is running rough-so rough he said it is undriveable. He can't find out what is wrong with it-had it a week. any ideas? What is he missing? I need that jeep so bad.
Thanks
Joy
Joy

Loveland, OH

#11 Jun 12, 2008
Butch do you think it could be this-the problem you had? Could this have messed up after the cam sensor messed up and I kept trying to start it-could air have gotten in somewhere?
In the end, the culprit was the FUEL PRESSURE REGULATOR, a $50 part. There's an o-ring, just like the one on the injectors where it inserts into the fuel rail and once air finds its way into the loop, everything seems to go haywire, with the electronics over compensating. Plus you can't see the condition of the diaphram inside.

“Don't Blame Me . . .”

Rockledge, FL

#12 Jun 14, 2008
Joy wrote:
Butch do you think it could be this-the problem you had? Could this have messed up after the cam sensor messed up and I kept trying to start it-could air have gotten in somewhere?
FP regulator caused me to stall about 20K miles ago. Injectors should be replaced around the same time.
bryan

Grove City, OH

#13 Aug 8, 2008
I have a 98 jeep cherokee sport that had no spark and no fuel pressure. When I hooked it up to my scan tool it would read anything and said it wasnt connected to anything,(but it was). I replaced the crank sensor and it started right up. This is a very common problem with jeeps. I hope this helps someone.
MichJeep

Muskegon, MI

#14 Sep 14, 2008
Hey, I have a 1995 Wrangler, Before you start you have to turn over the engine and then wait for the relay to reset. New Relays, Guessing it is the fuel pressure regulator. When it does start it gets up to temp, runs kinda hot, and then stalls and wont start for approx 10-15 mins. Run times vary between 2-15 mins. Not sure on what it is but think it is the fuel pressure regulator and also the crankshaft position sensor. Just wanted to get some opinions before I shell out some money and not have it be the prob, Thanks
Bernard

Asheville, NC

#15 Sep 17, 2008
Joy wrote:
Anyone know where I can buy a cam sensor for a 1998 Jeep Cherokee, 6 cyl
4.0L 242 - L6 Fl - S
Many thanks
I think you (we, since I have the same problem on my 96) have to buy the entire distributor. It's included in it.
Vic

United States

#16 Sep 25, 2008
HiI was wondering if anybody might be able to help me in my situation< I have a 2000 Jeep Grand Chrokee with 130mi on it. Problem was long crank, Found out no fuel pressure in the fuel rail with a gauge. Replace the fuel filter,and pump still same problem. Thought it was the ignition did some checks and cheks out find with same broblem so that was ruled out. One dealer told me it did not have a fuel pressure regulator and another dealer told me it di so that where im stuck at.

“Don't Blame Me . . .”

Rockledge, FL

#17 Sep 25, 2008
Vic wrote:
HiI was wondering if anybody might be able to help me in my situation< I have a 2000 Jeep Grand Chrokee with 130mi on it. Problem was long crank, Found out no fuel pressure in the fuel rail with a gauge. Replace the fuel filter,and pump still same problem. Thought it was the ignition did some checks and cheks out find with same broblem so that was ruled out. One dealer told me it did not have a fuel pressure regulator and another dealer told me it di so that where im stuck at.
Did you buy a good pump? Does it hum? The first pump I bought was a P.O. S. then I bought a Bosch that was about half the size but it cranked!

I'd solve the fuel thing before you go onto ignition ...
marko1187

United States

#18 Oct 16, 2008
bryan wrote:
I have a 98 jeep cherokee sport that had no spark and no fuel pressure. When I hooked it up to my scan tool it would read anything and said it wasnt connected to anything,(but it was). I replaced the crank sensor and it started right up. This is a very common problem with jeeps. I hope this helps someone.
1998 Cherokee sport 197K 4.0

-I have the exact same problem. No power to fuel pump and hardly any to the coil. Jeep cranks normal.I have already replaced the computer for a $100 bucks.(no change) Next I will try the crank position sensor.(O.E.M.#56027866AE or Autozone Part Number:SU3224 for $86.99)
I will reply with my findings.
marko1187

United States

#19 Oct 21, 2008
bryan wrote:
To Bryan,
Thanks so much for your post. It saved me alot.
This was the case with my jeep also!!!! Replacing the crank sensor totally worked. it was located on the bell housing on the drivers side of my 98 cherokee. FYI, I found it much easier to change by unbolting front drive shaft.

refer to my other post for part order number of crankshaft sensor.
Art Jennings

AOL

#20 Oct 25, 2008
jim n wrote:
forgot to mention,jeep has a 4.0 engine
also there is no fuel at fuel rail
i did swap asd relay with known good one-
anybody????????
I had same problem. It's your crank sensor.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 6
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Jeep Cherokee Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Transmission problem - Jeep Cherokee (Apr '07) Jul '17 Scott 404
Map bolt size Jun '17 TOtt 1
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited - Automatic Tr... (Jun '07) Jun '17 050607jao 291
2000 XJ classic 4.0L May '17 Mason 1
2001 Cherokee Check Engine Light P1494 (Feb '09) Apr '17 Julio Arroyabe 19
transmission Mar '17 David 8339 1
2006 jeep grand cherokee ltd service 4 wheel dr... (Oct '13) Mar '17 Jennie 95
More from around the web