need a diff car

La Jolla, CA

#42 Nov 2, 2012
I have the same problem with my car. i am glad to see it is not just me! but now what?
RichHenk

Glendale, CA

#43 Nov 27, 2012
My suggestion is to not buy a Hyundai
DS from Arkansas

Russellville, AR

#44 Jan 21, 2013
I bought a 2012 Sonata GLS and it is now in the shop with several things going wrong. AC has a mildew smell when I turn it on for the first 5 to 10 mins. They told me that they are replacing the AC filter. I've never had to to this with any of my other cars. The recirculation button is stuck. I'm also having a problem with the steering. After driving down the interstate for a long while it seems my steering is sticking. You know how it is when you have to gradually ease the wheel from side to side with the road, well I have to give it a strong tug. It's like it is sticking while driving straight. Last but not least, it is shifting hard. I'm surpised I don't have whiplash! They said the AC filter was dirty, fixing the recirculation button, the Transmission fluid sensor was bad and is on order. Still working on the steering problem. MY CAR ONLY HAS 20,000 MILES ON IT!!!!! I had a Buick Regal for 10 years and never had any problems. I WILL NEVER BUY A HYUNDAI AGAIN!!!!!
Not Happy

Clarksburg, MD

#45 Feb 13, 2013
I finaly got rid of the meldew smell, to bad to fix the problem I had to trade the car in, this was my first Hyundai and rest a sure i will not buy another one ever again, the mechanics at dealer did everthing they could but can not pin point the problem, is a shame the Hyundai never contacted me to find a solution to the problem, when my son started getting headache from being in the car last fall, I knew I had to part away from the car, when people ask why I traded the sonata I will tell the truth and to stay away from hyundai there is a reason why they offer a long warranty but once you have a problem you are on your own. nice looking car but is not worth my health and my families health. finaly just in case Hyundai monitors what peolple write about them, here is the vin#5npec4ab4bh223040 from the piece of crap Sonata so they know that i was real a Sonata owner.
Good luck Sonata owners and check lemon laws in you states
Not Happy

Clarksburg, MD

#46 Feb 13, 2013
The only way to fix the problem is by getting rid of the car I took my 2011 Sonata so many times to the dealer untill my son was getting sick from riding in the Sonata is not WORTH it, i traded my Hyundai for a japanese brad instead
DS from Arkansas wrote:
I bought a 2012 Sonata GLS and it is now in the shop with several things going wrong. AC has a mildew smell when I turn it on for the first 5 to 10 mins. They told me that they are replacing the AC filter. I've never had to to this with any of my other cars. The recirculation button is stuck. I'm also having a problem with the steering. After driving down the interstate for a long while it seems my steering is sticking. You know how it is when you have to gradually ease the wheel from side to side with the road, well I have to give it a strong tug. It's like it is sticking while driving straight. Last but not least, it is shifting hard. I'm surpised I don't have whiplash! They said the AC filter was dirty, fixing the recirculation button, the Transmission fluid sensor was bad and is on order. Still working on the steering problem. MY CAR ONLY HAS 20,000 MILES ON IT!!!!! I had a Buick Regal for 10 years and never had any problems. I WILL NEVER BUY A HYUNDAI AGAIN!!!!!
Not Happy

Clarksburg, MD

#47 Feb 13, 2013
trade it in. That's how Hyundai force me to fix the problem,
two days ago i traded mine and I will never buy Hyundai AGAIN
need a diff car wrote:
I have the same problem with my car. i am glad to see it is not just me! but now what?
Insider

Phoenix, AZ

#48 Feb 25, 2013
We see this alot. Try having the cabin air filter changed. That's usually where the smell comes from.
JDoty

Louisville, KY

#49 Feb 25, 2013
Insider wrote:
We see this alot. Try having the cabin air filter changed. That's usually where the smell comes from.
This is not where the smell comes from. I've changed that filter twice in 6 months... and nothing. It's just bad design on Hyundai's part.
NoToHyundai

Valencia, CA

#50 Mar 10, 2013
Filters were new when I bought my Sonata. After a week I started smelling the horrible odor. Followed all advices I heard and read but still had no luck. Now I decided to have it trade in. Won't buy any Hyundai again too!!!
Bad experience - Sonata

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#51 Mar 16, 2013
My hyundai sonata 2012 GLS is now 8500 miles on it. I started getting this mildew smell after around 3000 miles. As soon as I start my car bad smell is there for few minutes and then disappears and this bad smell is quite strong. I learnt now its a problem with many users after seeing this forum. When I reported this problem to the dealership they pretend as if know they were not aware of this. They recommended me replace the cabin and engine filters. But I still have the same bad smell even after the filter. Some time on the last week Hyundai send me a air freshener scented pad as an appreciation for using the car for 1 year. This again proves they know this problem. I never eat anything inside the car, keep it very clean, vacuum it frequently and never drive with the glasses down. One more thing I want share with you. I stared hearing some body sounds on the driver rear and also some rattling sound from the dash board. I never used this car on off road driving and a gentle driver. I only get an average mileage of 23 miles and 25 on Highways, but Hyundai claims 35. Not sure anyone really get anywhere close to this.
DSW

Orlando, FL

#52 Apr 1, 2013
I have this on 2013 Elantra as well. Only 10,000 miles on it and I noticed it after just a couple of weeks after purchase.
Fl Sonata owner

Brandon, FL

#53 Apr 1, 2013
I just purchased my 2010 Sonata in Dec 2012. I noticed the mildew smell in Feb and my mechanic checked inside cabin air filter and said it was extremely clean. They sprayed air freshner and that covered the odor for a week. What I noticed was on cold mornings in January a moisture build up centered on the lower portion of my windshield with dewdrops above my dashboard.The smell started within a month of that. My thought is that there was a crack in the windshield causing the moisture on the inside or that the windshield was not sealed properly and somehow there was water getting into the blower of the defroster causing the mildew build up. I have figured out that if I do use the outside air it helps diffuse the smell a bit but to recirculate makes it smell worse. Any chance there is a build up of moisture inside that area from the windshield possibly not having a tight seal and its causing something or a material of sort in the dashboard area to get soaked from the moisutre and moldy?
Furious consumer

Hollywood, FL

#54 Apr 4, 2013
I spent 7-years driving a 2005 Elantra which I purchased new. After driving the new car for 3-months the mildew smell appeared. It got progressively worse to the point of having the smell with or without the A/C running. Now I made a HUGE mistake of purchase a certified pre-owned 2012 Sonata and I have the same stinking smell again. I am furious for having paid $20,000 cash for a sticking car. This blog validates the frustration that I feel. So, I am not going to stop here because this is serious manufacturer engineering issue that is affecting my health (it makes my nose run). I will write a letter to Hyundai headquarters office in attention to their Risk Management Office and demand that they either fix the problem or buy back the car from me. You all should know that you as a Hyundai owner have tremendous power to get this issue taken care of. Don't stop here. Please write to their risk management office. This issue is sufficient to start a class action lawsuit if they do nothing. Please let's unite and get our problem taken care of! I refuse to drive another 7-years with this stink.
Fl Sonata owner

Brandon, FL

#55 Apr 13, 2013
Can you please give the address for their Risk Management Office and I will write a letter as well. Thanks
Jennifer Hodge

Calera, OK

#56 Apr 14, 2013
I have a 2012 Sonata Hybrid with 25000 miles on it. It has had a dead smell coming thru the vents. I haven't taken it to the dealer yet. I just read other posts having the same problem. Has anyone found anything that takes the odor out?
Frustrated in SF Bay Area

Sunnyvale, CA

#57 May 5, 2013
I also have the same problem. I own a 2011 Sonata and the car has had very bad odor since day 1. At first I did not know where the smell is coming from. My co-workers were making fun by telling me that I have old cheese in my car.

Slowly, I noticed that the smell is coming from the ac. It is worst when the ac is on and then you switch to a normal vent.

I have taking the car the dealer and, at first the service guy said that this is normal odor and "I should read the user manual". That was the most stupid comment I have ever heard from a dealer.

I took the car in for service again and, this time, the service manager was nice enough to deodorizer the ac. Unfortunately, this did not work either. The car smelled like a bad perfume for a couple of days and then stated going back to its original chemical smell.

I don't think the dealers know how to fix this issue. It is Hyundai's job to step up and come up with solution.

Tim

Tucson, AZ

#58 May 6, 2013
2008 sonata gls.....bad odor coming from the ac vents
Michael NY

Staten Island, NY

#59 May 17, 2013
I have a 2013 Sonata and have a mildew smell coming from the AC, I am very discaraged to take it to the dealer after I see the history on this blog. We need to report it to Hyundi and the government
Charley NY

Levittown, NY

#61 May 26, 2013
I just took car over from wife I asked what's with the smell!!
I have not brought it back to dealer but by reading this board they will not own up to it. I was a mechanic and I swear it is a very little anti freeze leak in heater.
Bee Florida

Stuart, FL

#62 Jun 5, 2013
I bought a brand new Hyundai Elantra 2013. I too have a foul smell emitting from the air conditioner. I brought the car in and they said yes the air filter was putrid. Putrid? It was straight off the show room floor, how did it get putrid?
They changed the air filter but the smell is still there. I waited two days but the smell is still there. I brought it back to Hyundi,my car is in the shop as I type this. They said they did not smell it. Trust me it is very foul, even my grown son smelled it. You would think that with all the complaints, Hyundi would take notice and recall or give us new cars. I am not happy!!! Bee

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hyundai Sonata Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Sensors for 2000 Hyundai Sonata (Aug '06) Nov 21 Sheri 85
Problems pumping gas (Aug '06) Nov 18 kscarpeneti 178
Hyundai Announces a New 6 Speed Automatic Trans... Nov 5 jordennancy23 1
New jobs at Hyundai plant draw more than 22,000... (Jun '12) Oct 30 Manufacturing 494
2011 sonata push button start problem (Sep '11) Jul '14 William 49
impala 2003 Jul '14 Anonymous 2
P0011 code (Jan '10) Jul '14 Rich 4

Hyundai Sonata People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE