2011 Sonata Mildew Smell from the A/C
ibt770

Boca Raton, FL

#22 Jun 24, 2012
Yes, I am going into Napleton again for the fourth time with this issue. It is still unresolved and I will take it to a corporate level should the problem still remain after this week.
Tom

Lake Worth, FL

#23 Jun 24, 2012
ibt770 wrote:
Yes, I am going into Napleton again for the fourth time with this issue. It is still unresolved and I will take it to a corporate level should the problem still remain after this week.
Good luck. Hyundai brags about their warranty and reliability but when a problem develops, "it's not covered under warranty" or they don't have a fix for the problem.Based on experience, you will get no where with Hyundai corporate. They are a joke!!! Too bad because it's a great looking car. Fortunately, Coconut Creek Hyundai service has been pretty good about dealing with my problems.
JulieD

Mount Washington, KY

#24 Jun 24, 2012
ibt770 wrote:
My dealership still won't do anything... if you do go to corporate level, and they actually answer you or have a fix... pleased be sure to fill us in. But for now, i have no hope...
Class Action

Duluth, GA

#25 Jun 30, 2012
Christina wrote:
I also had a horrible smell coming from the car. i just had the reginal inspecor come out and look at it and they said that it is a chemical reaction. they are being very difficult as this is my fourth time taking it in to get rid of the smell. finally they are admitting fault.
I have the same problem. What ever happened after the regional Inspector came out?
Cecil H

Lemoyne, PA

#26 Jul 2, 2012
I had the same problem, really bad smell. BUT!! Really easy fix. Step one replace inside cabin air filter behind glove box. Cost 21 bucks, time to install 2 minutes (if needed look on youtube for video) Step two. DON'T LEAVE Air Conditioning set to max and press switch to bring in outside air. When you recirculate inside air the air conditioner WILL NOT drain and will cause a really bad musty smell insided your car. Setting it on max is good to initally cool car but then switch to bring in outside air. I also replaced air filter with a nicer one from K&N. SMELLS MUCH BETTER.
Blaxtone

Media, PA

#27 Jul 13, 2012
I have had this mildew odor coming from my '11 Sonata Limited for months. Seemed to get worse when the weather got warmer. I realized the other day that it was not coming from the A/C or vents, but from the driver's side window tract. The smell occurs whenever the windows are open ... so for the heck of it, when the window was opened, I sniffed the area where the window goes down and WOW, it was horrible! I am about to call the dealer now and see if they will fix it.
Smelly in PA

Wyoming, PA

#28 Jul 16, 2012
Have a 2009 Sonata that we purchased new with the same problem. Will be talking to the dealer, but based on what I have read here, I am not expecting too much help there.
Not Happy

Clarksburg, MD

#29 Jul 16, 2012
My 2011 Sonata has the same problem, the smell is so bad i can taste it in my mouth now I know i'm not by my self with problem this is a wide spread problem and it might be unhelthty i hope hyundai help us out
Blaxtone

Media, PA

#30 Jul 17, 2012
Not Happy wrote:
My 2011 Sonata has the same problem, the smell is so bad i can taste it in my mouth now I know i'm not by my self with problem this is a wide spread problem and it might be unhelthty i hope hyundai help us out
Hello "Not Happy". Just a question: Was your smell also coming from the driver's side window like mine was? I just returned from the dealer (in NJ) and they are telling me the car is doing its job! I asked what that meant, and he told me the smell is just a "wet odor" and the rubber is keeping the rain water from seaping down into the door and it's normal. I didn't buy that for a second. The smell is horrible. They are having the Hyundai rep from corporate call me when he's in the area again. It will be up to him to remedy the situation or tell me I'll just have to deal with it.
Not Happy

Clarksburg, MD

#31 Jul 17, 2012
The smells comes from all the vents, and i have been having this problem since i purchased the car. and unless everybody that is having this problem gets together and find out who to complain too, i don't think hyundai is gunna do much, but this is a serious problem because we can develop allergies or even worse asthma, please keep me posted if they fix your problem because i am getting really concerned about my health, because what we are breathing are mold pores, thanks!
Blaxtone wrote:
<quoted text>
Hello "Not Happy". Just a question: Was your smell also coming from the driver's side window like mine was? I just returned from the dealer (in NJ) and they are telling me the car is doing its job! I asked what that meant, and he told me the smell is just a "wet odor" and the rubber is keeping the rain water from seaping down into the door and it's normal. I didn't buy that for a second. The smell is horrible. They are having the Hyundai rep from corporate call me when he's in the area again. It will be up to him to remedy the situation or tell me I'll just have to deal with it.
Not Happy

Clarksburg, MD

#32 Jul 17, 2012
Here a copy of an email from Hyundai customer service

On 06/25/12 we made contact with Fitzgeralds Lakeforest Hyundai Service Advisor Josh who was able to provide clarification on this matter. Josh confirmed that you have had the vehicle in three times for A/C concerns, three times for cool air concerns and twice for noxious smell. Josh assured us that your concerns are well documented and would like you to please bring the vehicle in for re-inspection. Fitzgeralds Lakeforest Hyundai understands you have a valid concern and is willing to find a resolution for you. Please allow Fitzgeralds Lakeforest Hyundai to address this concern. If this next repair is unable to properly correct the concern, then we will present this case to the appropriate department for further review and options.
JulieD

Louisville, KY

#33 Jul 17, 2012
Not Happy wrote:
Here a copy of an email from Hyundai customer service
On 06/25/12 we made contact with Fitzgeralds Lakeforest Hyundai Service Advisor Josh who was able to provide clarification on this matter. Josh confirmed that you have had the vehicle in three times for A/C concerns, three times for cool air concerns and twice for noxious smell. Josh assured us that your concerns are well documented and would like you to please bring the vehicle in for re-inspection. Fitzgeralds Lakeforest Hyundai understands you have a valid concern and is willing to find a resolution for you. Please allow Fitzgeralds Lakeforest Hyundai to address this concern. If this next repair is unable to properly correct the concern, then we will present this case to the appropriate department for further review and options.
Yes please keep us posted... and what they "find" in this re-inspection, and what they do to fix this...
Not Happy

Clarksburg, MD

#34 Jul 22, 2012
check the lemon law in your state i own 2011 Sonata turbo and i have the same problem. I wonder if Hyundai is going to have a recall on this problem the eventually can get us to develope alergies or asthma.
Tom wrote:
Bought the 2012 Sonata Limited Turbo on 7/4/2011. Recently started having the very strong ordor of mildew coming from the vents on startup. If the a/c is turned off, the smell stays even with fresh air coming in. Was told by the dealer Coconut Creek Hyundai in FL that it's not covered under warranty by Hyundai. However, they would do a courtesy A/C service. Seems after reading all these posts, Hyundai doesn't step up to the plate when they should. This does not even touch all the steering problems with this car! Hyundai needs to wake and realize the power of the internet.
Patrick

Tulsa, OK

#35 Jul 29, 2012
I do and its driving me insane. It seem like it just started doing it, and its only after it has been on for a while.
amg0710 wrote:
I have a 2011 Sonata, and for most of the time the a/c is fine, but every couple hours I smell this strong chemical type smell. So strong I have to roll down a window. This is a little scary as it doesnt smell like normal a/c mildew smell. Has anyone experienced this type of smell with this year and model car?
Tiffiny

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#36 Sep 21, 2012
I bought a 2013 sonata in Florida in July and have the same issue of bad smell the first 5-10inutes of starting the car.
ebra

Eden Prairie, MN

#37 Sep 21, 2012
Paul wrote:
My 2012 Sonata has a stinky odor when I start up and lasts for about 10 minutes. Dealer said it was condensation and to spray lysol in the air vents under the wipers when the ac is not on recirculate. no luck!!!!!!!! What the hell now????????
I purchased a new 2012 Sonata and starting in July the a/c starting to smell, they have flushed it several times and it still stinks!!! The dealer made ME pay for the service even though I am leasing it. DO NOT BUY A STINKY SONATA
ebra

Eden Prairie, MN

#38 Sep 21, 2012
Patrick wrote:
I do and its driving me insane. It seem like it just started doing it, and its only after it has been on for a while.
<quoted text>
I have a new 2012 Sonata and in July I started to notice a horrible smell, by September 2012 the smell was TERRIBLE; I went into the dealer and they simply flushed it but still, the smell is HORRIBLE! The dealer refuses to recognize that something is wrong!! What can be done?
ebra

Eden Prairie, MN

#39 Sep 21, 2012
Not Happy wrote:
check the lemon law in your state i own 2011 Sonata turbo and i have the same problem. I wonder if Hyundai is going to have a recall on this problem the eventually can get us to develope alergies or asthma.
<quoted text>
My new SONATA has only 12,000 miles on it and it STINKS!! The dealer made ME pay for the flushing and refused to say this is a problem, they made me feel like I was crazy! Thank God for the internet, Hyundai needs to step up to the plate, was this car affected by the terrible Tsunami? or is this a recall?
HELP
ebra

Eden Prairie, MN

#40 Sep 21, 2012
Blaxtone wrote:
<quoted text>
My Sonata only has 12,000 miles on it and it started to smell in July 2012, by September the odor was terrible and the dealer tried to say that it was mold by that my lease does not cover the mold and I had to pay for the flushing, it STILL STINKS! The smell is on the driver side mostly from both vents, no matter what I do it will not go away. I hope this car did not have damage from the tsunami.
HELP
Ticked Off in Tennessee

Clarksville, TN

#41 Oct 6, 2012
I have a 2011 Sonata, and have had a terrible mildew odor coming from the HVAC vents the marjority of the time I have had the car. I don't even have to turn the air on, and the odor still comes from all of the HVAC vents. I bought it new, the problem started a few weeks after I bought it. The dealer has replaced the cabin air filter, has placed two different types of chemicals in the vents under the wipers, has flushed water through the vents, removed a styrofoam-type piece from the drip pan, and lastly, has replaced the entire HVAC evaporator coil. NOTHING has worked. Now, after opening another case, the regional manager has closed it, and labeled it as an "environmental issue." I have read posts from people all of the U.S. with this same problem. The only thing I have to say is, "If it's an environmental issue, does that mean that no one in ANY environment should purchase a Sonata?" I have Sonatas in my neighborhood that do not have this problem, and my son purchased a Sonata the same day I did, at the same dealer, only his is a different color...He has not had this issue, and has been in the exact same environment that I have. There is a definite problem with certain Sonatas, and Hyundai REFUSES TO ACCEPT RESPONSIBILITY AND CORRECT THIS PROBLEM. HYUNDAI'S WARRANTY MEANS NOTHING TO ME!!! It is very easy to offer a five year warranty, if there is a problem and they do not fix it. When I spoke to the regional manager, after the last case was closed without resolution, he told me to run the heat for three minutes before I turn the car off, each time I use the air conditioner. That has been suggested previously, as well, I have tried this, and it does not work!!! Further, even if this DID work, which it does NOT, consumers should not have to "band-aid" a problem like this, and run heat for three minutes when external temperatures are 100 degrees outside, prior to turning off the car! Something NEEDS to be done to correct the issue. WHEN WILL HYUNDAI STAND BEHIND THEIR PRODUCT???? If anyone else has experienced this problem, please let me know. If all of us try to band together, I am hoping that Hyundai will resolve the problem. This is definitely a LEMON LAW ISSUE!!! I am thinking that my next step should be to get additional legal advice, to see what my next step should be. Consumers should not have to accept or deal with this problem.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hyundai Sonata Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
ignition Apr '16 jinxhouse 1
2000 Hyndai sonata v-6 Apr '16 66elky 1
Problems pumping gas (Aug '06) Mar '16 elizabeth 192
News Here's how much electric-car range costs per mile Mar '16 Solarman 1
News Sonata Hybrid leads pack with warranty coverage... Feb '16 Solarman 1
News Chrysler 200 is a car of many facets Feb '16 Shop Rat 6
News Pod Rods - back to the future, green cars, and ... (Oct '15) Oct '15 Solarman 1
More from around the web