2011 Sonata Mildew Smell from the A/C

Posted in the Hyundai Sonata Forum

First Prev
of 5
Next Last
Chris Payne

Brooksville, FL

#1 Oct 19, 2010
We own 2 11' Sonata's. We have a god-aweful mildew smell coming from the A/C on one of them. It's been in 3 times and still can't get rid of the musty smell!!!

Does anyone else have this problem?

You won't believe this, but we had the same issue on an 06'!!!
Chuck NM

Rio Rancho, NM

#3 May 20, 2011
We have a 2010 Sonata with the same musty smell from the A/C. Working the issue with Hyundai right now. Going to see what they are going to do about it. It has been like this since new. As dry as NM is you would think that a mildew smell would be quite impossible. But the car was built in Alabama with all the southeast moisture.
Christina

Redmond, WA

#4 Jun 6, 2011
I also had a horrible smell coming from the car. i just had the reginal inspecor come out and look at it and they said that it is a chemical reaction. they are being very difficult as this is my fourth time taking it in to get rid of the smell. finally they are admitting fault.
pfox

Southampton, PA

#5 Jun 17, 2011
I bought a new 2000 Sonata and I had the same smell for the 8 yrs I owned it. The only way it will go away for a short time is to let the dealer know about it and they cleaned it out and put a freshener in the line. I was told that the water sits in the hose because of the way the line runs. I thought for sure after of these years that problem would have been solved. My daughter now has the car and if she dont use the defrosters or the A/C daily the smell is still nasty.
pfox

Southampton, PA

#6 Jun 17, 2011
Oh and one more thing, the paint job sucks. Most of the paint has worn off, so if you see the slightest paint missing get taken care of ASAP. My old 2000 maroon color ( and the MANY I see on the streets) seems to loose its luster after about 6 yrs. I was just told the warranty for that has run out, and of course had I known it was covered I would have had it taken care of. I did like the car but the two things I talked about was why I got rid of it. The car looked like crap but ran good except for the little things that I was told about being recalled being annoying. I was just glad they were taken care of. I gave it to my daughter because she had a car that just died and I could not stand to look at the paint fading away so much. I cant believe that I was NOT told about the paint problems. Maybe someday she can save enough to get it painted, because the car is still running GREAT!
amg0710

Phoenix, AZ

#7 Jul 29, 2011
I have a 2011 Sonata, and for most of the time the a/c is fine, but every couple hours I smell this strong chemical type smell. So strong I have to roll down a window. This is a little scary as it doesnt smell like normal a/c mildew smell. Has anyone experienced this type of smell with this year and model car?
jack

Saint Louis, MO

#8 Oct 30, 2011
My 2012 SOnata has a strong smelly socks smell on a/c but especially on the heater. I took delivery of it new on August 25 2011 so the car has 2900 miles on it and is 2 months old, what is going on?
Tom

Lake Worth, FL

#9 Nov 20, 2011
Bought the 2012 Sonata Limited Turbo on 7/4/2011. Recently started having the very strong ordor of mildew coming from the vents on startup. If the a/c is turned off, the smell stays even with fresh air coming in. Was told by the dealer Coconut Creek Hyundai in FL that it's not covered under warranty by Hyundai. However, they would do a courtesy A/C service. Seems after reading all these posts, Hyundai doesn't step up to the plate when they should. This does not even touch all the steering problems with this car! Hyundai needs to wake and realize the power of the internet.
Paul

Orange Park, FL

#10 Dec 11, 2011
My 2012 Sonata has a stinky odor when I start up and lasts for about 10 minutes. Dealer said it was condensation and to spray lysol in the air vents under the wipers when the ac is not on recirculate. no luck!!!!!!!! What the hell now????????
Tom

Lake Worth, FL

#11 Dec 12, 2011
Just recently had the windshield washer pump fail after the vehicle has been in service only four months. Anyone else?
Paul

Orange Park, FL

#12 Dec 20, 2011
Just came from Hyundai of Orange Park today and service rep says it smells like something died in my ac vents. Not covered under warranty. Told me to bring vehicle in and they will disassemble dash ac vents to look for dead animal. Could take 4-5 hours. If they dont find anything dead, they wont charge me for the labor. Sounds fair but what about the ?#!!!@# smell???????
Shorty

Hancock, MD

#13 Feb 2, 2012
My mother owns a 2010 Sonata, she purchased it in Florida, But, she moved to Pa. within a month of the purchase, I have been noticing a Foul odor coming from the vehicle, Especially when the heater is on, car only has 7200 miles on it & now is 2 years old. I called our local Hyundai dealer & first thing I was told is that ODORS ARE NOT COVERED after 12 months 12k. & that I would be looking at about 4 hours of trace time, she also stated it is caused by not using the A/C system properly, But, it is always on Recirculate & the odor is Present when the Heater is on, almost non-existant with the A/C on. Does anyone have any Ideas, suggestions...Help me fix Stinky....Since Hyundai won't.
Barry

West Palm Beach, FL

#14 Feb 28, 2012
Yes, I have the same issue and have brought the car in three times to my dealer, with no resolution. Next, I am going to insist on a complete replacement of the a/c system. This is extremely frustrating.
Erick Pastrana

Caguas, Puerto Rico

#15 Mar 10, 2012
I bought a 2012 2.0t Sonata and it is having same problem with nasty odor coming from a/c. It also stop cooling when car is at idle. Also have sounds from panoramic roof. Two times at dealer no fix yet.
I think this car is a lemon.
elvin

Brooklyn, NY

#16 Mar 30, 2012
This sucks , new car and old car smell. It becomes an embarrassing situation when someone gets into the car and smells this awful oder . I take it to the dealer and as u know u get the runaround . Worse part , as I can see , theres no solution in site..So I`m stuck with this problem which takes away from the enjoyment I had when i purchased this vehicle....this really sucks
tcraneorlando

Orlando, FL

#17 Apr 7, 2012
Ditto!!! My brand new Sonata smells like mildew bad (with or without AC on) for 10 minutes when you first get in the car whether the weather is hot or cold---seems like most of the problems are coming from FL though???!!!!! Let's start a class-action suit!!!
Quahaug

Apopka, FL

#18 Apr 22, 2012
This is an ongoing problem with our 2011 Hyundai Sonata and it will be going back to the dealer a fourth time for this problem. The last time we were told it was a strong "perfume smell"coming from the car deodorizer we had in the car. We put the deodorizers in the car to battle the musty smell but it did not help. I told the service rep I would take any and all deodorizer out and give it two weeks. Well, now that the weather is getting warmer with increasing humidity, the smell in getting worse. Hyundai gave me a 2011 Sonata as a rental when they were fixing a problem I was having with the gas tank. The rental had a new car smell with the heat/air conditioning on or off the whole time I had it.
JulieD

Finchville, KY

#19 May 4, 2012
I have the same issue... I have a 2011 Sonata... horrid mildew smell when the vents are on... i changed the cabin air filter and it's still horrid... anyone know how to fix this? Has anyone had any sucsess getting rid of the smell???
Zakaro

United States

#20 May 24, 2012
I have a 2011way Sonata GLS. I love this car besides the mildew smell. It seems to happen when there is moisture of any kind that gets in the system. It's the worst after it's rained. Blasting the heat dries it out and the smell goes away in a few minutes, but it actually is so bad it catches my breath. Dealer said they couldn't smell it and I'll need to stop by when it's rained. I forgot about the a/c. I'll have to tell them it smells then too. Maybe I'll try the lysol thing.
Frustrated in CA

Brea, CA

#21 Jun 10, 2012
I have the EXACT same problem with my 2011 Sonata. Recently I took the car in for a car wash and they sprayed a freshner into the vents and ever sicne then it has smelled like mildew (2 months now). Its awful, my wife wont even get in it. I replaced the air cabin filter and took the car in to get a "treatment" spray into the vents to kill the mildew. Has helped a little but unfourtunatly hasnt gotten rid of the problem. Going to try and spray a milder/mold killer in the vent and then maybe purchase a car scent to "cover" the mildew smell. Maybe we can get Hyundai to recall and correct this problem. Weird because my wife and I bought a Tucson, and her car (brand new) had this scary chemical smell to it...not yor traditional new car smell but a chemical smell that I did not fell comfortable with.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hyundai Sonata Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Sensors for 2000 Hyundai Sonata (Aug '06) Jan 13 Mr_T 86
Problems pumping gas (Aug '06) Dec '17 Kathy K 202
Hyundai Sonata, Car wont start Aug '17 Kaduku 1
Pushed back lf wheel (Jul '17) Jul '17 Rjpsonata 1
2011 sonata push button start problem (Sep '11) Jul '17 BobbyB 65
Gas wont go down to the tank it spit back up wh... (Jun '17) Jun '17 LouieThaaKidd 1
HELP!! 2005 Sonata won't turn over after hittin... (May '17) May '17 Quasi123 1
More from around the web