Hyundai Santa Fe 3.3 Liter V6 Engine ...
Grandma in Virginia

Parkville, MD

#21 Sep 8, 2010
check the Throttle Sensor cable, it runds about $24.00 dollars and it located at the top left of the motor. The black casing that it is incased in will break free from the metal part and connects to the cable cradle and when it breakes the car will run full throttle and you will not stop it, the only way to stop is to turn the car OFF, this little item will get you killed, might think of replacing this very cheap item even if you don't need it, OH and by the way you will find it to be on back order when you order it from the dealer and that is the only place to get it. Good Luck
Mark

AOL

#22 Oct 1, 2010
Dee wrote:
I purchased a new 2010 Sante Fe SE automatice in March. Three times now I have had the car "shut down" on me. Either while turning into my driveway or turning onto a side street, so all at a very low speed. I feel the power steering cut off and the dash lights light up bur engine halts. I shift into Par, restart the key and continue on. The dealer checked the first time and found nothing showing as an issue on the computer diagnostic test. The second time, I called and no call back to me. Now happened again. Have a call in to my sales rep. Anyone else experience this? Never on any car I have ever owned. My car is great otherwise, with about 8K miles on it. Thank you
Dee- I just had the exact same thing happen to my 2010 santa fe w/
5 thou miles on it. Pulling into my driveway the car just shut off. I restarted it and it was fine. I intend to bring to the dealer, but if you find out anything , please post, Will do same.
Mark
JimBeam

Indio, CA

#23 Jan 11, 2011
My 2010 Santa Fe will occasionally rev high for no apparent reason. It has happened twice on the highway while using the cruise control - it will just rev for about 2 seconds or so, basically gives you a heart attack! Has also happened 3 times when starting it for the first time in the morning.
Valerie

AOL

#24 Feb 6, 2011
I purchased a 2010 Santa Fe in April. Noticed a thumping sound coming from the rear end at cold start. Takes about 10 seconds for it to kick in and it lasts 10 seconds. Took it into my local dealership and they had no clue what could be causing the noise. After several days of tearing my car apart they determined it was coming from the gas tank. They called in a Chief Engineer who determined it was a sensor. Sensor was replaced which did not eliminate the thumping noise. The gas tank was replaced next and the thumping noise continued. They then discoverd 4 other Santa Fe's at the dealership were making the same noise. Chief Engineer wrote it off as "operating as designed" which is ridiculous. Wondering if anyone else has the same problem with their Santa Fe and what they have been told by their dealership.
Ron Martin

Frederick, MD

#25 Feb 21, 2011
My 2010 Sonata V6 3.3 starting having valve lifter noise when started on cold mornings. After several visits to the dealer they finally said they found the problem. The "short block" is being replaced ... the car is due backk from the dealer this evening. Hopefully the problem has been fixed. I will re-post if this does not solve the problem.
Patty

Minneapolis, MN

#26 Feb 24, 2011
DORI wrote:
Just before Christmas of 2009, I was stopped at a light with my foot on the brake when the car suddenly jolted forward hitting and pushing at the truck in front of me. I was in shock. The only way it would stop was turning off the engine. Within an hour, the car did the same thing. Hyundai dealer had the car for 3 days and found nothing. Has anyone had this occur. 2004 Sante Fe.
I had the same problem with mine. The was a recall in March 2004 for that problem. You can look it up online. It has to do with the ABS system.
Mike Port Jefferson NY

Netcong, NJ

#27 Mar 3, 2011
I have a 2007 Sonata 3.3 6 cyl engine. My original issue was a misfire on 2 and 4. Checked all sensors and pressures all seem to be working. Oil pressure and fuel pressure are good as well having 125 lbs of compression in the cylinders, The issue that is confusing me is the timing bank 1 and bank 2 have a desired reading of 0 Bank 1 has an actual of 0 bank 2 has an actual of 57 the timing marks for one and two are dead on to spec.What else would advance the timing if the marks are in line? I believe it has to do with the oil control valve or something to do with the way the pressure advances and retards the timing. Can anyone help with this issue? Thanks
Sharon

United States

#28 Mar 8, 2011
I purchased a 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe last May and after a few months noticed a tapping noise that slows down and speeds up. I took it to the dealer but they said they did not find anything.(I noticed the mileage had not changed when I picked it up) I spoke to someone who assured me the service mgr would call me but did not. Has anyone else had this problem?
Dee

Broadview Heights, OH

#29 Mar 9, 2011
Valerie wrote:
I purchased a 2010 Santa Fe in April. Noticed a thumping sound coming from the rear end at cold start. Takes about 10 seconds for it to kick in and it lasts 10 seconds. Took it into my local dealership and they had no clue what could be causing the noise. After several days of tearing my car apart they determined it was coming from the gas tank. They called in a Chief Engineer who determined it was a sensor. Sensor was replaced which did not eliminate the thumping noise. The gas tank was replaced next and the thumping noise continued. They then discoverd 4 other Santa Fe's at the dealership were making the same noise. Chief Engineer wrote it off as "operating as designed" which is ridiculous. Wondering if anyone else has the same problem with their Santa Fe and what they have been told by their dealership.
-- I was told that noise is had something to do with the Air Conditioning when you start the car. It goes away in a bout a minute after startup.
Keoni

Waipahu, HI

#30 Mar 30, 2011
evildumm knowing the inside scoops of the Santa Fe problems, would you still buy one?
evildumm wrote:
I'm working for a Hyundai dealer in Canada. We have a lot of problems with the 3.3l v6 (hopefully the engine is replaced by a new 3.5l for 2010). A lot of oil leak from the front cover and the piston skirt is too short and use prematurely the cylinders. I fill the engine with 5.3 liters of oil.
bob

Kamloops, Canada

#31 Apr 9, 2011
Gregory wrote:
New 2009 Hyundai Santa Fe V6 with 1300 miles, oil leaks from the belt idler seal.
Top off with 4 quarts, and the pan is empty in 15 minutes.
Definitely needs new idler.
But why would the idler's seal effect engine oil?
I own a 2007 sante fe 3.3l . I have 65,000 miles on it, only trouble has been oxygen sensor twice, grounds to the starter,(wouldn't start) and the only oil leak occurred twice when the people changing the oil didn't get the seal set properly on the oil filter when they screwed it back in. It is very fussy and will leave one heck of a mess on the drivers side on the top of the engine. You think you have a major oil leak and it is only the oil seal from the filter usually related to a recent oil change.

check your oil filter seal..........

bob
Craig

Quispamsis, Canada

#32 Apr 14, 2011
Check all your pulleys on the serpentine belt. I had the same thing happen one morning and when I got to work I had a pulley fall on the ground. Vehicle had to be towed No response yet from Hyundai.
Kristen

Falls Church, VA

#33 Apr 15, 2011
I've been having problems the last few weeks after everytime i fill my 2003 Santa Fe with gas. When i try to turn my car back on, the engine won't turn over. I try multiple times, then i have to run into the garage at the gas station to get the attendant to give me a jump. Every other time i turn it on after that(until the next time i fill up with gas) there's no problem. i personally see NO correlation, but i wanted to see if anyone else has had this happen or if they have any idea what COULD be going on.
Also, two weeks ago my check engine light came on. when they did the system diagnostic test - the code came back as my O2 sensor (the mechanic reset the check engine light at that point). When i went to get it fixed last week, the check engine light hadn't come back on & they ran the diagnostic test again - everything came back ok.(sorry, it's long winded - i'm not really digging my car right now though...wanted to air out a couple of the problems)
C-dog92

Attleboro, MA

#34 May 13, 2011
not2ez wrote:
We purchased a 2010 Santa Fe Limited AWD in March and in May it started leaking engine oil with less than 2,000 miles on it. It wasn't a bad leak but was a concern. After a month we had an oil spot on the garage floor about 1 sg. ft. We took it to the dealer and the diagnosis was a bad timing chain cover seal. The timing chain covers are installed by the engine manufacturer so some assembly employeee didn't do it right. The dealer replaced it at no charge, and gave us a rental for the two days it was in the shop. It seems fine now. I just didn't expect this for a brand new vehicle.
We have had the same problem with our '09 santa fe limited AWD (purchased new in 2010). Upon initial discovery of the leak, we had the dealer look at the car and the service manager "found nothing wrong". after that service manager was fired for other reasons, it was inspected again under the new service manager to find the leak due to a bad timing cover gasket. it was replaced, and the problem reappeared, and time after time we had them look at it during routine oil changes, and again found "nothing wrong", claiming it was residual oil from not properly cleaning the engine after the repair. we finally brought the car to an independant repair facility, who stated there was a leak, but wouldnt dismantle a warrentied engine to find the source. finally the dealer serviced the vehicle again, replacing pretty much every gasket in the engine, and the oil pan. now 2 weeks from the second repair, it still leaks. we will call service in the morning, and if this doesnt work, a lemon law attorney. im starting to wonder if this is just bad luck, a bad mechanic, a bad product, or just some mix of the 3. and the thing doesnt even have 20k.
Sean

Lima, OH

#35 May 16, 2011
I have 2008 Hyundai Sante Fe, On yesterday, I noticed when I got in my vehicle that water was leaking on my passanger side floor mat from behind the glovebox. I open the glovebox and no water was inside of glove compartment. I drove the car for about and 30 mins and returned back home. After being home for about 30mins my alarm started going off. I thought it my have been the wind and rain that set it off. later that day I went to drive my car and it would not start and there was a smell of electrical wires burning. I called Hyundai roadside service and had the vehicle towed to the dealer. I was told today that my starter and battery was fried and none these items are covered under warranty. Then they want me to give permission to replace the starter and battery so they can finish running test on the vehicle. What kinda crap is that!
Den

Los Angeles, CA

#36 Jun 22, 2011
I own a 2007 Santa Fe Limited, and it's been having numerous oil leaks etc. There is 57000+ miles on it and this is the 5th or 6th time it's been in for the ongoing oil leaks. Also has been in 3 other times for other non related part failure issues. VERY frustrating... I'm starting to freak out because the warranty is up at 60,000 miles, then I'll have to pay for the trips to the dealer to fix the upcoming problems. I've kept all of the service records and also keep it well maintained. I'm to the point now that I need to explore the California Lemon Law to see where I stand. I do like the car, but combined with it's poor gas mileage and the ongoing problems, I'm at my wits and patience end. Thinking now that I'll have to sell it, or go through the Lemon Law procedures. Can't bear to think about how much the repairs are going to cost. I can tell from my experiences, more things will go wrong, and it will be out of warranty. Had no idea that it would have so many problems. Very disappointed and feel let down. Should have bought a Honda it seems...
CliveM

Noosaville, Australia

#37 Jul 5, 2011
DORI wrote:
Just before Christmas of 2009, I was stopped at a light with my foot on the brake when the car suddenly jolted forward hitting and pushing at the truck in front of me. I was in shock. The only way it would stop was turning off the engine. Within an hour, the car did the same thing. Hyundai dealer had the car for 3 days and found nothing. Has anyone had this occur. 2004 Sante Fe.
Sounds like an ABS fault, if your idle speed is too high for one reason or other, the ECM will see the wheels stationary and suspect the vehicle is sliding, the ABS will release the brake and with the car in drive, high idle and no brake it will lurch forward. Heard of the problem with Land Rover here in Australia.
To prove this, have the car in drive, left foot on the brake and accelerate and see the ABS function. Land Rover found the idle speed control unit at fault.
not impressed

Ottawa, Canada

#38 Aug 20, 2011
I have a 2009 awd limited sante fe.100,000 plus kms.
two times the battery needed a boost and could drive fine after. just when I had the lights on for a minute or turned the key to roll down the windows. Dead. Took it in and they said oil was leaking from the front cover from a broken gasket which has burnt out the alternator. I paid 1000.00 to replace the alternator and gasket. The next day I stopped for gas and left the radio on. Tried to start but it was dead. I paid 1000.00 but still have the same problem! I have it in the shop now and they said I could have gotten a bad new alternator? Shouldn't they have checked this and was it really the alternator.
I Have spoken to a few people and they said there is a problem with the alternators. if this is the case why isn't there a recall?
one rental company just had all the alternators replaced on their sante fe's so people renting wouldn't have this problem?
So far I am not impressed
Toronto-residenc e

Scarborough, Canada

#39 Sep 26, 2011
Mark wrote:
<quoted text>
Dee- I just had the exact same thing happen to my 2010 santa fe w/
5 thou miles on it. Pulling into my driveway the car just shut off. I restarted it and it was fine. I intend to bring to the dealer, but if you find out anything , please post, Will do same.
Mark
Hi,
I had the same problem twice with y 2010 santa fe w 4,000km. The first time my husband reduced the speed in a small street and it stopped and the 2nd time I happened this morning: I stopped at stop sign and the engine stopped. OMG, I bought this car and won't be able to return it. The dealer just told me there's no code shown on their computer analysis. Please keep post to see if there's any sulotion to this problem. Thanks
flo

Garrett, IN

#40 Oct 2, 2011
Iare traveling through ID, OR, and NV, and now in UT. My monitor light keeps to pull over, shut the vehicle off, and then restart. It's almost like a vapor lock, stopped at Hyundai dealer in ID, he said it's driveable, we took the gas cap off, and seemed to relieve the pressure, but now that it's happened again and again, that's not fixing the problem. Will take to dealer when I get home, but the monitor indicator light continues on. Not on this morning after sitting all night, IT's a sante fe 2008

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hyundai Santa Fe Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
2007 Hyundai Sante Fe Limited fire Aug 13 RBen 1
smell (Jun '06) Aug 6 Dennis 82
2004 Hyundai Santa Fe caught FIRE! (Apr '06) Apr '16 Jpdon 37
rear hatch wont oen 2014 santa-fe Mar '16 russ 1
2013 Santa Fe mirrors Mar '16 poolman1948 1
Tire sizes (Feb '16) Feb '16 Bjj814 1
Car won't start after pumping gas. (Mar '14) Jan '16 DEcka 3
More from around the web