Hyundai Santa Fe 3.3 Liter V6 Engine ...

Hyundai Santa Fe 3.3 Liter V6 Engine Problems

Posted in the Hyundai Santa Fe Forum

First Prev
of 6
Next Last
Mario

United States

#1 Aug 5, 2008
Has anyone had problems with the engine on this car. I drove the car to a game in the evening, return to pick up my wife's car, the car sat for about 10 min after being driven for an hour, when I went to start ther engine it sounded like a diesel, it would not run for long and then it shut off, I could not started againg. I towed the car to the dealer and after a day they have not been able to started and they cannot find what the problem is?
Marilyn

Broadview Heights, OH

#2 Sep 4, 2008
Yes I actually am having issues w/ my 07 santa fe they i noticed minor things but then it got worst today (9/4), it started to kind of vibrate and the serive engine light was flashing, so I turned off the a/c, that helped it out a little bit the shakin was still there, im taking it into the dealer to get fixed tomorrow (9/5), I hope they can fix it.
kastaman

Etobicoke, Canada

#3 Oct 13, 2008
Marilyn wrote:
Yes I actually am having issues w/ my 07 santa fe they i noticed minor things but then it got worst today (9/4), it started to kind of vibrate and the serive engine light was flashing, so I turned off the a/c, that helped it out a little bit the shakin was still there, im taking it into the dealer to get fixed tomorrow (9/5), I hope they can fix it.
oxygen sensor...
rick

Zanesville, OH

#4 Dec 20, 2008
kastaman wrote:
<quoted text>
oxygen sensor...
an oxygen sensor would not make the car vibrate, it
sounds more like a mass airflow meter or idle air control. if your O2 sensor needed replaced it would trip a light but not really effect drivability, just emissions
Gregory

Bellmore, NY

#5 Nov 12, 2009
New 2009 Hyundai Santa Fe V6 with 1300 miles, oil leaks from the belt idler seal.
Top off with 4 quarts, and the pan is empty in 15 minutes.
Definitely needs new idler.
But why would the idler's seal effect engine oil?
Tim Osman

Carlisle, PA

#6 Nov 19, 2009
why did 2007 santa fe change lower ball joint assembly and my santa fe taps on start up
Ricky

AOL

#7 Dec 8, 2009
The book says that the 08 santa fe 3.3 fills with 5.5 us qts of oil. Thats a hassle and my dealer tech says that filling with 6 qts wont hurt anything nor damage the warranty. Just wondering if anyone had done that?
evildumm

Lasalle, Canada

#8 Jan 15, 2010
I'm working for a Hyundai dealer in Canada. We have a lot of problems with the 3.3l v6 (hopefully the engine is replaced by a new 3.5l for 2010). A lot of oil leak from the front cover and the piston skirt is too short and use prematurely the cylinders. I fill the engine with 5.3 liters of oil.
DORI

Philadelphia, PA

#9 Feb 3, 2010
Just before Christmas of 2009, I was stopped at a light with my foot on the brake when the car suddenly jolted forward hitting and pushing at the truck in front of me. I was in shock. The only way it would stop was turning off the engine. Within an hour, the car did the same thing. Hyundai dealer had the car for 3 days and found nothing. Has anyone had this occur. 2004 Sante Fe.
Ricky

AOL

#10 Feb 7, 2010
DORI wrote:
Just before Christmas of 2009, I was stopped at a light with my foot on the brake when the car suddenly jolted forward hitting and pushing at the truck in front of me. I was in shock. The only way it would stop was turning off the engine. Within an hour, the car did the same thing. Hyundai dealer had the car for 3 days and found nothing. Has anyone had this occur. 2004 Sante Fe.
Hey man wish I knew, but a couple of obversations here. Apparently your brakes failed and also sounds like the engine was reving up and all this at the same time. strange indeed. Please let us know when you find the problem.
vic

Foxboro, Canada

#11 Feb 20, 2010
november 09 my 08 santa fe 3.3 starting shaking when i stopped at a stoplight 2 days later it did it again and engine light started flashing and then eventually stayed on, took it to the dealer was told no codes came up and sent me on my way.now february engine light came on again. if anyone has had any similair problems please let me know
Ricky

AOL

#12 Feb 22, 2010
my 08 santa fe 3.3 / 13000 mi, makes a whistling sound under the hood occasionally at startup. Got any ideas anyone ??
monica

Palatine, IL

#13 Mar 15, 2010
vic wrote:
november 09 my 08 santa fe 3.3 starting shaking when i stopped at a stoplight 2 days later it did it again and engine light started flashing and then eventually stayed on, took it to the dealer was told no codes came up and sent me on my way.now february engine light came on again. if anyone has had any similair problems please let me know
its probobly thr throttle posistion sensor
not2ez

Olathe, KS

#14 Jun 23, 2010
We purchased a 2010 Santa Fe Limited AWD in March and in May it started leaking engine oil with less than 2,000 miles on it. It wasn't a bad leak but was a concern. After a month we had an oil spot on the garage floor about 1 sg. ft. We took it to the dealer and the diagnosis was a bad timing chain cover seal. The timing chain covers are installed by the engine manufacturer so some assembly employeee didn't do it right. The dealer replaced it at no charge, and gave us a rental for the two days it was in the shop. It seems fine now. I just didn't expect this for a brand new vehicle.
Paul

Calgary, Canada

#15 Jul 5, 2010
At around 1500 rpm the 3.3. litre in my 2007 Santa Fe makes a strange whining sound that sort of sounds like it might be the serpentine belt. Dealer says it isn't but has not been able to hear it much less fix it. Has anyone else had this strange noise in their 3.3?
Cindy

Basking Ridge, NJ

#16 Jul 7, 2010
Paul wrote:
At around 1500 rpm the 3.3. litre in my 2007 Santa Fe makes a strange whining sound that sort of sounds like it might be the serpentine belt. Dealer says it isn't but has not been able to hear it much less fix it. Has anyone else had this strange noise in their 3.3?
Yes. My 2008 AWD SE makes that noise at start up and goes away in a second or two. So far, it does not do it once warmed up. Maybe the fan, serpentine belt, or fan shroud.
Nate PA

Caldwell, NJ

#17 Aug 10, 2010
not2ez wrote:
We purchased a 2010 Santa Fe Limited AWD in March and in May it started leaking engine oil with less than 2,000 miles on it. It wasn't a bad leak but was a concern. After a month we had an oil spot on the garage floor about 1 sg. ft. We took it to the dealer and the diagnosis was a bad timing chain cover seal. The timing chain covers are installed by the engine manufacturer so some assembly employeee didn't do it right. The dealer replaced it at no charge, and gave us a rental for the two days it was in the shop. It seems fine now. I just didn't expect this for a brand new vehicle.
I am currently experiencing the same exact issue in my 2010 Santa Fe SEV6. It is currently at the dealer to replace the seal. Have you had any issues since then? It seems like a pretty extensive job, especially for a new vehicle (I have under 8,000 miles)
Paul

Calgary, Canada

#18 Aug 10, 2010
Cindy, thanks for your input. I think the problem you are having is different from the one I was talking about and now have fixed. Your noise is likely caused by the timing chain tensioners. This is a known problem with the 3.3 litre engine and Hyundai has a service bulletin on it. Take it to a dealership and they'll fix it. The noise I was hearing ended up being the result of a clogged screen in the power steering system. They removed and cleaned it, put in new fluid and the sound has been gone for three weeks now. It's never stopped for anywhere near that long before.
Dee

Broadview Heights, OH

#19 Aug 26, 2010
I purchased a new 2010 Sante Fe SE automatice in March. Three times now I have had the car "shut down" on me. Either while turning into my driveway or turning onto a side street, so all at a very low speed. I feel the power steering cut off and the dash lights light up bur engine halts. I shift into Par, restart the key and continue on. The dealer checked the first time and found nothing showing as an issue on the computer diagnostic test. The second time, I called and no call back to me. Now happened again. Have a call in to my sales rep. Anyone else experience this? Never on any car I have ever owned. My car is great otherwise, with about 8K miles on it. Thank you
JM New Jersey

Ringwood, NJ

#20 Sep 2, 2010
not2ez wrote:
I also purchased a 2010 Sante Fe in March, and the past Saturday was informed that there was a small insignificant oil leak at one of the gaskets, which turned out to be a four day repair, with every gasket including the timing belt cover gasket. Wow, who knew... The dealer replaced all with no charge. I hope that this is corrected. I also did not expect this to happen with just 10,000 miles on the vehicle.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 6
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hyundai Santa Fe Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
2011 santa fe 3.5l electrical help (Jun '17) Apr '18 Vfilanova 3
2005 Hyundai santa fe Mar '18 Countrymama628 1
Sticky door panels Feb '18 Nancy 1
2008 Santa Fe doors won't open Feb '18 Maggie 2
Glove box Won't Stay Shut on 2014 Santa Fe Sport Jan '18 Shawn 2
wont start when cold in morning (Oct '11) Nov '17 Wayne miller 4
Hyundai Santa Fe engine fire car destroyed (Jun '12) Oct '17 Gypsyme4 4