2004 Hyundai Santa Fe caught FIRE!
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
lorraine

Edinburgh, UK

#21 Oct 18, 2012
my 2012 santa fe caught fire today i was at the shops when i came out 30 minutes later it was ablaze under the bonnet fire brigade put the fire out the insurance company have it and are having it assessed hope i get my money this car cost me 25000 pounds i am not happy.
Mar

Elburn, IL

#22 Oct 18, 2012
WOW, if you find out why it started on fire, can y ou post it? There was never a final decision on why mine caught on fire and I keep my eyes open for posts such as yours. I had State Farm and they bought me the same model but an even more equipped one so I was happy. It is OK so far.
Thanks.
lorraine wrote:
my 2012 santa fe caught fire today i was at the shops when i came out 30 minutes later it was ablaze under the bonnet fire brigade put the fire out the insurance company have it and are having it assessed hope i get my money this car cost me 25000 pounds i am not happy.
Jetty

Ireland

#23 Nov 5, 2012
Our Hyundai Santa Fe (2.0 petrol) 2002 burnt out after being parked in the driveway (way too close to our house!) over night. The continuous beep woke me at 5:30a.m. on Sunday 7th of October. When I came downstairs I saw through the little window in our front door that flames were licking out on both sides of the bonnet, the left headlight was on full beam and the horn was still beeping.

The only thing I could do was to open the door on the driver's side, release the handbrake, put the car into neutral and push it down the driveway. The door on driver's side was then closed again. I called the fire brigade whilst trying to stay calm for the sake of my three kids. It only took a few minutes and the car was engulfed in flames, I even have it on video (I took pictures to show to my husband later - he had been out of the country at the time)!

Later a neighbor told me she had heard a loud bang before the fire started. Weird. The evening before I had been driving within our small town, and there had been no sign of a problem whatsoever - no funny smell nor lights on the dashboard...
The criminal investigators told me which way the flames took, but the insurance wouldn't try to find out what had caused the fire in the first place (because the car had already been 10 years old).

The car's a write-off and we're now fighting to get more money from the insurance than they're willing to pay us...
LORRAINE

Sheffield, UK

#24 Nov 6, 2012
Jetty wrote:
Our Hyundai Santa Fe (2.0 petrol) 2002 burnt out after being parked in the driveway (way too close to our house!) over night. The continuous beep woke me at 5:30a.m. on Sunday 7th of October. When I came downstairs I saw through the little window in our front door that flames were licking out on both sides of the bonnet, the left headlight was on full beam and the horn was still beeping.
The only thing I could do was to open the door on the driver's side, release the handbrake, put the car into neutral and push it down the driveway. The door on driver's side was then closed again. I called the fire brigade whilst trying to stay calm for the sake of my three kids. It only took a few minutes and the car was engulfed in flames, I even have it on video (I took pictures to show to my husband later - he had been out of the country at the time)!
Later a neighbor told me she had heard a loud bang before the fire started. Weird. The evening before I had been driving within our small town, and there had been no sign of a problem whatsoever - no funny smell nor lights on the dashboard...
The criminal investigators told me which way the flames took, but the insurance wouldn't try to find out what had caused the fire in the first place (because the car had already been 10 years old).
The car's a write-off and we're now fighting to get more money from the insurance than they're willing to pay us...
when my 2012 santa fe caught fire at the shops as i posted earlier i got no help from my insurance now hyundai are dealing with it i hope to get my money back or a brand new car it has been a total write off something is far wrong with the wiring on these cars
Luccio

Laval, Canada

#25 Dec 6, 2012
Get to my daughter's house, just picking her up for a casual morning breakfast. Must of stayed inside 25min max. I'm of the 3rd floor of an apartment building, backside. I get out front there are 4 Firefighter, and 3 policeman at my 2004, 4wheel drive Santa-fe. White powder all over the street from the extinguishers, melted plastics on the pavement that seamed to make one with the road.
No heads up, no smell, no funny noises, just went up in flames. Luckily its not all that damage, so I might get to know what actually happened during those 25min. Keep you all posted, I'm pissed cause I love my Santa-fe.
Luccio

Laval, Canada

#26 Dec 19, 2012
turn out fire started by a short in the wiring at the Air Conditioning Compressor. Luckily it was caught right at the start. Insurance is covering the wiring harness that are burnt, replacing a few plastic parts and she will be back and up in no time.
LORRAINE uk

Worcester, UK

#27 Jan 20, 2013
as i posted earlier my santa fe caught fire at the shops and was destroyed i have waited since october 2012 and now hyundia have taken full responsability for the fire and have been promised a new one so i am very happy it was only 10 months old and a lot to lose so my advice to anyone trying to claim from hyundia is dont give up .
Jetty

Ireland

#28 Jan 20, 2013
Glad you got your car sorted, Lorraine. Our car was "too old" (10yrs) so nobody from Hyundai wanted to look into it. We are still trying to get the claim settled; though our insurance doesn't seem to want to pay us what the car was worth! Now the case is at the F.S.Ombudsman and we're without a car...
Kevin-Santa Fe

Winnipeg, Canada

#29 Feb 4, 2013
Wish I would have found this before I bought a new one, my 2013 spontaneously combusted at the rear back up sensor. Luckily a passer by put it out, but what if I was sleeping, I park this in my attached garage.
melchor

Edmonton, Canada

#31 Nov 3, 2013
Lisa wrote:
Nov. 1, 2010 - Early morning - below zero - frost on windshield - started 2010 Hyundai - turned on heat - front/rear defrost. Smelled smoke - then smoke started pouring out at my feet and the dashboard at the windshield on the driver's side only. I believe that it was electrical - that wiring spontaneously caught on fire and that the fire was extinguished by the blowing fan of the heating system. Took it to the shop and they "couldn't find what had caught fire!" The burnt smell is still there when the heat/fan are blowing. Any ideas or thoughts would be much appreciated on what happened and what else I can do about it? Thank you, Lisa
hi Lisa, we have the same problem about the windshield heat element or once you turn on the front defroster, my santa fe windshield heat element burned and caused a long crack from the spot where the burn started the dealer replace the windshield, when i complain about.i think the best "solution" to this is to let the dealer put an extra switch going to the front heat element in order for the driver to turn it ON only when it is needed
Cal Koellmel

Swift Current, Canada

#32 Jun 13, 2014
My daughter was driving her 2002 Santa Fe highway speed and heard a loud pop noise. She got out and looked under and fire was coming out from under the engine onto the ground. The car burnt before 911 could respond.
Hyundai said the vehicle was too old (off warranty) so nothing was done. Thankfully het & her friend were not killed.
Jetty

Vienna, Austria

#33 Jun 13, 2014
Hi everybody!
Just to let you guys know that
1: I contacted a friend from South Korea. He looked into the case and he couldn't find any reports of burning Santa Fes on Korean websites, those incidents are unheard of in Korea...the problem cod be either American/European wiring or censoring of internet posts...
2: we got the money from the insurance only a few days before the car fire anniversary (less than we wanted but still better than nothing).
George 2003 Santa Fe

Little Rock, AR

#34 Jun 29, 2014
Tonight I left my house and only got about 3 miles before my engine temp gauge started to read hot. I pulled over and smoke started to bellow from the hood. The next thing you know a flame came out. My daughter and I ran. The next thing you know the engine was completely engulfed. I have only liability insurance on the vehicle and it has 100,000 miles. Should I pursue this?
Edgar

Québec, Canada

#35 Mar 18, 2015
melchor wrote:
<quoted text>
hi Lisa, we have the same problem about the windshield heat element or once you turn on the front defroster, my santa fe windshield heat element burned and caused a long crack from the spot where the burn started the dealer replace the windshield, when i complain about.i think the best "solution" to this is to let the dealer put an extra switch going to the front heat element in order for the driver to turn it ON only when it is needed
I have the same problem currently with my Santa Fe 2010, the element up front is burnt and busted my window.

The dealer is not sure it's still covered under my warranty, if it is covered under the 5yrs/100k KM, they took pictures yesterday to send them to Hyundai directly.

Should be hearing back from them this week. I'm kind of scared about reading all of your cars burning down.
liz

Clarksburg, WV

#36 Oct 12, 2015
I have a 2015 SantaFe and have smelled wires getting hot like burning.. Garage tells me they can't do anything unless the smell is still in the vehicle. what can I do to get then to check it out
tucsonproblems

Wexford, PA

#37 Feb 24, 2016
DJM wrote:
I own a 2007 Santa Fe Limited and last year (2010) around December I noticed black smoke coming from where the window meets the dash. When I stopped the car the smoke went away. But when I looked closely, I noticed that the wiper de-icer elements had fried.(I call them elements but I really don't know what they are called.) These are at the base of the windshield and are supposed to de-ice the windshield enough that the wipers will not be stuck. I called the dealer here and they had never heard of a problem like this before. You have to change the whole windshield to correct this. Has anyone ever had this happen to them?
Last week I was driving my 2011 Tucson with the de-icer on and the same thing happened to me. Smoke started coming out where the windshield meets the dash so I pulled over and turned the car off. The smoke went away and hasn't come back. The dealer said it's not covered under warranty to open the dashboard to look and see what caught fire. They have to "diagnose" a problem before they can open the dash. So they told me to keep driving it and if it ever smokes again, drive straight to them with smoke filling the car! Not acceptable!
Jpdon

New York, NY

#38 Apr 26, 2016
Mar wrote:
Hello, I have a 2011 Santa Fe and parked it in the garage after being in it for about an hour. Two hours later the garage was an inferno. The fire department and insurace company could not conclude it was the car. do you know of any recalls for this or other reports of the car catching on fire?
Thanks
<quoted text>
Did you ever find out ant info? I am looking at a similar situation on a Tuscon.
charles t

Nashville, TN

#39 Sep 28, 2016
Mar wrote:
Interesting. Please post what you find out if they figure out why the fire started.
<quoted text>
our 2004 engulfed into flames while driving down the road a total lost,the insurance company want give us but 1600 for it. and now Hyundai is investagating the problem. Everybody wants to screw us as if it was our fault
Imiller

Washington, DC

#40 Oct 10, 2017
So my man and I brought a Hyundai Santa Fe 2004. Everything is good. But it turns off whenever my man goes into a stop. What could be the cause of that. I think it's something electrical. But I need someone else say who knows about cars.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hyundai Santa Fe Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Glove box Won't Stay Shut on 2014 Santa Fe Sport Jan 15 Shawn 2
2011 santa fe 3.5l electrical help (Jun '17) Jan 9 Lodiveco 2
Hyundai Santa Fe 3.3 Liter V6 Engine Problems (Aug '08) Dec '17 Dumbdumb 114
wont start when cold in morning (Oct '11) Nov '17 Wayne miller 4
Hyundai Santa Fe engine fire car destroyed (Jun '12) Oct '17 Gypsyme4 4
after market power tailgate lift Aug '17 JimB 1
Fuel issue? (Jul '17) Jul '17 Singingbird73 1
More from around the web