crljhl

AOL

#66 Sep 8, 2010
my 2005 santa fe air conditioner smells like vinegar, really bad. We had a bad summer, really hot days, I have not had it checked out yet. Yuck
jmmb

Nanaimo, Canada

#67 Sep 10, 2010
Bought my 2007 Santa Fe 4 months ago from Dealer, complained within a couple of weeks about the smell, asked Service Manager if it was mold, he denied it but said they would replace the cabin filter for free. That did not fix the problem. I have been away from the vehicle for a week and drove it yesterday and as soon as I turned on the fan the smell hit me again. Sore throat and burning in my lungs. This is not healthy. I called the Service Manager today and again voiced my concerns that it must be mold, he hesitated and almost denied it, but said to bring it in and they would check again. He sounds like this is the only complaint he has ever had, but when I told him that I was all over th Internet he got real quiet. I am printing off all the responses to this problem and giving them to him.
Lori

Edmonds, WA

#68 Dec 16, 2010
I own a 2003 Sonata and for the last three years it has made me incredibly sick. The mold smell that all of you are complaining about is horrible. I went to my dealership over a year ago and spoke with the mechanic who told me it was a design flaw with the cabin filter and nothing you can do to keep it at bay. I went to the same dealership yesterday to buy a new cabin filter and the staff said they have never heard of such a problem! I was appauled but not surprised...I have learned Hyundai has a major problem and ignoring it seems to be the companies answer. I am in no position to buy a new car but my health comes first...I will have a new car by the end of the weekend and it will not be a Hyundai!!!!!!!!
Eric

Mariposa, CA

#69 Jan 20, 2011
Guess I'm not alone expeiencing a dead animal smell in my 08 Sonata. It's powerful enough to initiate a gag reflex and you clothes smell of it after riding in the vehicle. Iv'e stopped in to six dealers and all stear clear of any inherent flaw in the car saying I must have run over an animal. If that were so; how come it has happen when the car hasn't moved for two weeks.
jmmb

Nanaimo, Canada

#70 Jan 20, 2011
Eric wrote:
Guess I'm not alone expeiencing a dead animal smell in my 08 Sonata. It's powerful enough to initiate a gag reflex and you clothes smell of it after riding in the vehicle. Iv'e stopped in to six dealers and all stear clear of any inherent flaw in the car saying I must have run over an animal. If that were so; how come it has happen when the car hasn't moved for two weeks.
They did put something in the system it was a spray of some kind that has so far stopped the smell. Changing the cabin filter did nothing. I was also told to run the a/c once a month for a while. So far, so good
Ryan

Ajax, Canada

#71 May 31, 2011
I have an 2010 Sante fe and having been noticing a gas like smell from the vents. A lot of comments here say they smell vinegar. Anyone smell gas?

Since: Aug 11

Cumming, GA

#72 Aug 8, 2011
David Rismiller!

What was the solution that rob suggested. I can't find it in the thread.

Thanks!

Jake

Since: Aug 11

Cumming, GA

#73 Aug 8, 2011
What was the solution that rob suggested. I can't find it in the thread.

Thanks!

Jake
BAD

United States

#74 Sep 14, 2011
Just took my 2010 Sonata in because of smell in Charlotte NC. They said Hyundai had no complaints about a urine smell coming from the vents. I even showed them comments from this sight. In the end they performed a evap system service and did not charge me anything. After reading all these comments I wish I had stayed with camry
Scott

Middleton, WI

#75 May 9, 2012
Cindy wrote:
I'm having the same problem with my 2006 santa fe. Have any of you looked into a class action lawsuit?
Our 2009 Sonata has a dead mouse somewhere in the vent system. I discovered the mouse had chewed on the cabin filter and assume it died in there somewhere because of the dead mouse smell. How do I discover where it died so I can remove it?
GJB

Ellington, CT

#76 May 30, 2012
I have a 2009 Sonata and have had this odor problem for the past two years. Called the dealer and was told they have never heard of this problem and that I can bring it in for them to check it out at a cost of $150.00 - $200.00. Also was told that it was not cover by Hyundai go figure. I guess we will have to figure this on out our own
Terry

Goodlettsville, TN

#77 Oct 25, 2012
We have a 2007 Santa Fe Limited. My wife told me of the vinegar smell. I stuck my head inside the car and smelled it also. I called, local dealer, was told they had not heard of other complaints. I told him, I had read on line it may be mold under the rear carpeting and was told warranty did not cover water damage.
MAUREEN LAVALLIE

Canada

#78 Mar 25, 2013
NAE wrote:
Yes, it's the evaporator coil and all the fungus and mold that gathers on it. The coil doesn't have enough surface area in order for the condensate to evaporate thoroughly. That's a common complaint among several newer model cars where engineers have tried to miniaturize everything. I bought Klima-Cleaner on line for about $16. The problem was that the long tube could not get beyond the vent boxes in the dash. I had to hope that by spraying it, the foam made it down all the way to the coil. It worked for about a year; now smells again until the AC is on for a minute or so. I also replaced the in-dash microfilter. Don't waste your money on that. No change with that alone.
Yes, someone needs to take ownership at Corporate for the poor design of the evaporator.
I HAVE A 2005 SANTA FE AND FOR THE 2.5 YEARS I HAVE HAD IT I HAVE THE ODOR PROBLEM. FINALLY I HAD TO REPLACE THE AC COMPRESSOR AND TIMING BELT $1800.00 AND THOUGHT THIS WOULD GO AWAY. NO DICE. I HAVE USED ALMOST EVERYTHING. I AM NOW USING CONCROBIUM. SUPPOSED TO KILL MOLD, PREVENT MOLD GROWTH AND ELIMINATES MUSTY ODOUR. BASICALLY IT IS TRISODIUM PHOSPHATE IN TRI SODIUM POLYMER. THIS DOESN'T SEEM TO WORK EITHER. I HAVE A TOUCH OF EMPHYSIMA AND I SUFFER REAL BAD. EVERY TIME I USE THE CAR I AM DOWN FOR AT LEAST TWO DAYS. I BELIEVE THE ONLY ANSWERS COULD BE W5, 16X9, OR MARKETPLACE. THIS SEEMS TO BE A PROBLEM THAT IS WIDESPREAD. MY CAR IS PAID FOR AND I CAN'T AFFORD TO GO BUY ANOTHER CAR.
farmer

Montréal, Canada

#79 Jul 15, 2013
I to have a very bad smell it is making me I'll Hyundai please fish free
Terra

Atlanta, GA

#80 Mar 25, 2014
I have a 2011 Hyundai Veracruz that has a horrible smell that comes from the air conditioner as well. Last Year (2013) the dealership sprayed fridge fresh in the air conditioner but after two weeks the smell came back they sprayed more in it but the smell came back again. The weather has warmed up and we are using the ac and it is back and still smells horrible!!!
Bita

Glendale, CA

#81 Jun 3, 2014
We have a 2012 hyundai and after about year the smell from hell started. I remember the day it started. It smelled like an alley that homeless people urinate in. It comes and goes but usually there with ac or vent. I thought someone urinated inside our engine. I can't believe it's happening to so many people. Hyndai should be so ashamed . First the lies about gas mileage and now this. Worst car I've ever owned.
I will complain to corporate.
Frances

Spring Hill, FL

#82 Jun 27, 2014
I bought a 2014 Hyundai and the smell coming from the vents made me so sick I ended up going to the hospital. A brand new car with a smell like that. My first service I was told it was the chemical they sprayed on the evaporator coil that did not seal, 2nd and third visit was told the smell was normal, 4th visit, there is no smell, all the while it is still making me sick. I now use an inhaler as the smell made it hard for me to breath. I do not know how they get away with this time and time again. And as so many of you, I too got the response, "Never heard of it before even corporate has denied having any complaints when I called to complain and also failed to give the name of the chemical use to seal the coil. All I got, first I heard of it, one thing for sure if enough people complain the word will get out there!
SCOTT FROM NASHVILLE

Nolensville, TN

#83 Jul 7, 2014
I have had the smell since I bought my 2005 Santa Fe in 2006. I have taken it to the dealer, even had the Mgr keep it for a couple of days. No one can figure out shy. Turning on the heat for a while does help but who sants that in 95 degree weather. I am disappointed in hundai and the Dealership's Service Dept. Just have to live with it.
12345678mno

Springfield, MA

#84 Mar 28, 2015
Paul wrote:
I'm having the same problem. Hyundai cut corners by installing cheap evaporators that can't handle the volume of condensation. As a result, fungi and bacteria grow inside the evaporator. Nothing, not even a powerful antibacterial cleanser can correct the problem for more than a few days. I think we should put together a class action suit. It's time that Hyundai announced a formal recall to fix this well documented problem.
<quoted text>
i also have a Hundai santa fe 2007 and it has that mildew foul odor coming from the heat vents, even in the summer after its been turned off. ive had the car 2 yrs. and the problem is still there.Hundai should have a recall on this issue to correct it, the dealer could of covered this before the warranty expired. they had to know about this either way , i notice the odor and told them and all they told me to do was to change the cabin filter this didn't help.
Sharron Labatt

Fort Qu'appelle, Canada

#86 Feb 4, 2016
I have a 2003 Santa Fe and persistent mice issues. My husband has 2 GMC trucks parked next to my car in an insulated garage and never had a mouse entered either vehicle cabin or engine. I now have a MOUSE in MY GAS TANK. It cost me $99.95 plus tax to discover the problem and will cost around $600 to fix it. I have written letters to Hyundai Regina demanding financial compensation for this design flaw. Let's see hoe I am treated.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hyundai Santa Fe Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
2004 Hyundai Santa Fe caught FIRE! (Apr '06) Apr '16 Jpdon 37
rear hatch wont oen 2014 santa-fe Mar '16 russ 1
2013 Santa Fe mirrors Mar '16 poolman1948 1
Tire sizes Feb '16 Bjj814 1
Hyundai Santa Fe 3.3 Liter V6 Engine Problems (Aug '08) Feb '16 stevo1975 111
Car won't start after pumping gas. (Mar '14) Jan '16 DEcka 3
2013 santa fe sport 2.0T rocky ride (Nov '15) Nov '15 Jim101 1
More from around the web